Sitka AK November 2011

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Sitka AK November 2011

Post by Diver_Dave »

First Dive, Night dive at the Fuel Dock!
005.JPG
Attachments
035.JPG
007.JPG
004.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
032.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Sitka AK November 2011

Post by Tom Nic »

Ok, that is a first. Sunflower star chowing down on a deer leg. Just when you thought you'd seen it all.

Nice shots of the giant nudis.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I scored an Alaska Steamship Co. tea cup too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hope the storm doesn't nail you guys up there. Things look really bad up on the Nome side!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:Hope the storm doesn't nail you guys up there. Things look really bad up on the Nome side!!
I've been wondering about that... although they are a ways away.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

U guys r missing good dives.....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

renoun wrote:I scored an Alaska Steamship Co. tea cup too.

Pics! Or it's a lie. :smt064
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:
renoun wrote:I scored an Alaska Steamship Co. tea cup too.

Pics! Or it's a lie. :smt064
+1

Stories, too.

Otherwise we're pretty sure you're just sitting around stuffing your faces and looking at bottle collections. :burntchef:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ive never seen a starfish pull a deer from the shore line and devour it whole like that.. Wow!! Poor bambi
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Diver_Dave wrote:U guys r missing good dives.....
:neener:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

more pics
Attachments
A few sea otters
A few sea otters
CIMG2961.JPG
CIMG2988.JPG
CIMG2982.JPG
CIMG2965.JPG
CIMG2940.JPG
CIMG2923.JPG
CIMG2919.JPG
CIMG2963.JPG
Last edited by Diver_Dave on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

What is that yellow whose thing?

How do you cook octopus? Turkey fryer? :burntchef:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Its a lai....He is from Hawaii... Garlic & butter
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

sheahanmcculla wrote:What is that yellow whose thing?

How do you cook octopus? Turkey fryer? :burntchef:

Yellow thingy is a 1960 DA Aqua Master. This one is a PRAM - Pheonix Royal Aqua Master from Vintage Double Hose, you can check them out at: http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/

Worked great all down at 147 feet! I was really excited since the 147 ft. dive and 123 ft. dive were my first chances to really put it through it's paces. I still have some tuning to do, but so far it's working like a champ.

For our night dive I dove my '64 ish New England Diver's. I was just able to find a NOS diaphragm for it, so it doesn't have all the new parts I'd like. Breathes OK, but could breathe a whole lot better. The IP recovery isn't all that great. It was comfortable enough to breathe from for an hour and 20 minute dive though.

I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks! That’s what I thought it was, but with it looking like it connected to your mask I wasn’t sure. I am impressed it breathed well to 147’.

So whats the appeal of these? Cool to dive on 50 year old gear? Bubbles go out the back?

Whats your “O S**t” plan if it stopped working?

I can’t believe Nwbrewer does not have one of these.
Devilfish Diver
Just Settling In

Post by Devilfish Diver »

Sorry I didn't make it back to the boat last night, ended up at SEARHC again and left the phone at home by accident. Auntie is leaving for Juneau today but not till this afternoon, so I won't be able to go today either. I'm frustrated that I'm not getting in the dives with you guys but family needs to come first. Have a great dive for me and post pics, Dave, give me a call when you want to go again. Keith and Ross, have a safe trip back it was great getting to meet all of you in person. Alaska Diving RULES, Go Dry Suits! or Semi-Dry Suits as it seems to be with mine. By the way those Otters were an awesome sight to see, not everyday you see 300+ Otters grouping together like that.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Thanks! That’s what I thought it was, but with it looking like it connected to your mask I wasn’t sure. I am impressed it breathed well to 147’.

So whats the appeal of these? Cool to dive on 50 year old gear? Bubbles go out the back?

Whats your “O S**t” plan if it stopped working?

I can’t believe Nwbrewer does not have one of these.
The big appeal for me was just learning a little more about the history of diving and emulating some of my diving heroes like Jacque Cousteau and others.

Also, I'm a tinkerer at heart and just can't help myself when it comes to rebuilding old cars or gear.

As far as safety with the double hose, this one has a Pheonix so you have 3 lp and 3 hp ports. The Pheonix basically turns a 2 stage double hose into a modern reg. I have an octupus on this one, but you can still dive a bail-out bottle or whatever you want. I'm finding that a double hose requires the use a few new skills, which I have yet to master, but beyond that, they fit right in with the rest of my kit.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Devilfish Diver wrote:Sorry I didn't make it back to the boat last night, ended up at SEARHC again and left the phone at home by accident. Auntie is leaving for Juneau today but not till this afternoon, so I won't be able to go today either. I'm frustrated that I'm not getting in the dives with you guys but family needs to come first. Have a great dive for me and post pics, Dave, give me a call when you want to go again. Keith and Ross, have a safe trip back it was great getting to meet all of you in person. Alaska Diving RULES, Go Dry Suits! or Semi-Dry Suits as it seems to be with mine. By the way those Otters were an awesome sight to see, not everyday you see 300+ Otters grouping together like that.

Berry,

With the weather as good as it is today, I'm betting those guys are at St. Lazaria.

It was good to meet you and dive with you, look forward to more diving this winter.

Also, I thought you were taking you light for new batteries so it stayed in my orange basket. I put it in the back of Dave's truck after you left.
-Charles Lindbergh
Devilfish Diver
Just Settling In

Post by Devilfish Diver »

Thank you, I look forward to more diving. I need to go get most of my stuff and give it a good rinse after two weeks being in and out of the water on Dave's boat. The weather is great today and I wish I could be out there, vis has got to be better than it was yesterday.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

First a gratuitous crockery photo for Josh.
Ak. Steamship Co. from Sitka Harbor
Ak. Steamship Co. from Sitka Harbor
The weather looks great today but there was snow last night.
View from Dave's house
View from Dave's house
500' above Dave's House
500' above Dave's House
I'll try to write more after we dive today and have started drying our gear.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

*drying out your gear???

Seems counterproductive to me
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Hoot
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Here is something to hoot about.
Nice Nudi.
Nice Nudi.
That is a 7.5" UK SL-3 backup light.
That is a 7.5" UK SL-3 backup light.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Holy Carp! Wow...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Boyz got stuck here the wind came up this morning and by noon it was blowing 77mph..... :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Attachments
IMG_6864.JPG
IMG_6849.JPG
IMG_6838.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska