ALERT: Attempted Camera THEFT

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

ALERT: Attempted Camera THEFT

Post by lundysd »

Okay it's time for all of us to have a serious conversation. We all know there is a problem in our dive community, but it seems like everyone just wants to sweep the issue under the rug. Well no more....

I'm talking, of course, about the disrespectful and downright rude behavior by our "friends," the giant pacific octopus. These beasts really do have a racket going on -- with one tentacle, they convince us they are beautiful, intelligent, and respected creatures, and with the other tentacle they rob us blind! Backup lights, gauges, cameras.... the list goes on and on. How long will we allow these merciless creatures to slink around in the darkness, only to emerge and rob us of our dive gear and our dignity?!?!

Well it's time to put a stop to that. I have placed below irrefutable evidence that GPOs are thieving, cunning, and conniving little (okay... enormous) hooligans, and I demand justice!!! Who will stand with me?

:)

(Note: with the exception of a bent aluminum arm and a soiled undergarment, no cameras or divers or GPOs were harmed in the making of this post)

Last edited by lundysd on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: ALERT: Attempted Camera THEFT

Post by Penopolypants »

Well, to be honest, if somebody stuck a Death Star through my front door and started flashing its annoying little lights at me while I was relaxing on the sofa, drinking a glass of wine, and watching Breaking Bad, I'd probably take their little toy away too until they learned to play nice with it. :neener:

Nice shots!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

a HA! Ladies and gentleman, we have found the first PAID INFORMANT of the cephalopods.... and it is none other than Ms. Penelope herself!!! What are they giving you P, your pick of the discarded dive gear?

Don't believe her lies.
Edge
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Edge »

I am with you, Scott! Now, how exactly are we going to get justice?
"Helium doesn't reduce stupidity" Fishstiq

http://www.frogkickdiving.com
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

lundysd wrote:a HA! Ladies and gentleman, we have found the first PAID INFORMANT of the cephalopods.... and it is none other than Ms. Penelope herself!!! What are they giving you P, your pick of the discarded dive gear?

Don't believe her lies.

SHHH! They'll know you know!!

They pay me in hugs, and nude photos of the Kracken.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Steinbeck had it right in Cannery Row:

"Then the creeping murderer, the octopus, steals out, slowly, softly, moving like a gray mist, pretending now to be a bit of weed, now a rock, now a lump of decaying meat while its evil goat eyes watch coldly. It oozes and flows toward a feeding crab, and as it comes close its yellow eyes burn and its body turns rosy with the pulsing color of anticipation and rage. Then suddenly it runs lightly on the tips of its arms, as ferociously as a charging cat. It leaps savagely on the crab, there is a puff of black fluid, and the struggling mass is obscured in the sepia cloud while the octopus murders the crab."

Save the crabs (and cameras)- eat octopi :burntchef:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
lundysd wrote:a HA! Ladies and gentleman, we have found the first PAID INFORMANT of the cephalopods.... and it is none other than Ms. Penelope herself!!! What are they giving you P, your pick of the discarded dive gear?

Don't believe her lies.

SHHH! They'll know you know!!

They pay me in hugs, and nude photos of the Kracken.
... and a promise of a Nikon D7000 with u/w housing.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Don't believe her lies.
OCCUPY GPO DENS!!!! WE ARE THE 99%!!! :supz: :pirate: :thankyouyellow:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
markwilson
Just Settling In

Post by markwilson »

perfect excuse for a club dive. Drag the offender out cook it up and have a pot luck.
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

Tom Nic wrote:

Don't believe her lies.

Be careful. There are more of them than there are of us....
Attachments
wearethe97.jpg
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Don't be so fast to judge. They could be hapless stooges in the employ of a more sinister character hoping to get a "free" upgrade to his aging d100. Not that I'd know anything about that and I'll deny whatever octo confession you may be able to extract.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Nice shots! I see why he wanted to take the camera!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

archaeofish wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

Don't believe her lies.

Be careful. There are more of them than there are of us....

LOL! I love it. I'm not really sure what they're protesting though...
April
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

looks like a 'damn paparazzi! leave me alone!' move to me ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Excuse me, sir. I have a complaint here, alleging invasion of privacy and harassment, and demanding that you relinquish all rights to the photographs, or pay royalties for their use, preferably in mackerel . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Anyone else notice a theme here? It would seem we have been betrayed by one of our own. P-Pants, your subtle sneaky subterfuge has not gone unnoticed, and your nefarious plot has defiantly been noticed. Now all we have to be is what to know of her being where the accidental was of her to have it.

Penopolypants wrote:Well, to be honest, if somebody stuck a Death Star through my front door and started flashing its annoying little lights at me while I was relaxing on the sofa, drinking a glass of wine, and watching Breaking Bad, I'd probably take their little toy away too until they learned to play nice with it. :neener:

Nice shots!
Penopolypants wrote:That was so full of awesome! And I hope it was another octo that ended up as dinner, so that the smart ones like that can continue to reproduce. I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: ALERT: Attempted Camera THEFT

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:looks like a 'damn paparazzi! leave me alone!' move to me ;)
I was gonna say: reminds me of Sean Penn during his Madonna phase.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

You know you could try the bait and switch technic. simply grab some hapless crab on the way to the den and offer the GPO some dinner....Just saying :smt064
Jeff Castor
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Kathryn and I returned to the sight of the crime this weekend to investigate a little bit further. We found a grand total of 7 GPOs in 2 dives -- they are stinkin everywhere right now. The 3 visible GPOs under the honeybear are all VERY VERY large, and having 3 (and possibly 4) in such a small vicinity makes for some fireworks. I saw 2 of them tangle briefly -- they are all certainly very active and on edge.

We also found another specimen near the boundary line -- he was on the edge of his den and made for some beautiful photos. Finally, we found a juvenile GPO out in the open. He was extremely photogenic and playful (not to mention a nice contrast to the larger, more intimidating GPOs around). I hope you enjoy the photos -- the full gallery can be found at:

http://www.raptureofthedeep.net/c2

lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Wow. What fantastic photos (and a very amusing post to boot). THANK YOU. :joshsmith:
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Fishstiq wrote:Anyone else notice a theme here? It would seem we have been betrayed by one of our own. P-Pants, your subtle sneaky subterfuge has not gone unnoticed, and your nefarious plot has defiantly been noticed. Now all we have to be is what to know of her being where the accidental was of her to have it.
Wharrbblgl!

*brushes off her air-hose cutting skills*

Now that you know I'll have to taking you out ice skating or some such other activity.