First cold water dive Battle Ground lake.

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

First cold water dive Battle Ground lake.

Post by Jared »

Finally got gear for Christmas. Went to Battle Ground lake to test it with my brother inlaw Ryan. All my gear worked perfectly. Cant say so much for Ryan. All I can say is, dont let your kids us your mask all summer in the pool. lol. other than bouyancy control issues, it was a good first dive. Found the old row boat and a lot of garbage. Father inlaw claims to be partially responsable for the row boat. Him and five other teenages took it down the slide back in 1967. So he says anyway. :)
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: First cold water dive Battle Ground lake.

Post by mz53480 »

Jared wrote:Finally got gear for Christmas. Went to Battle Ground lake to test it with my brother inlaw Ryan. All my gear worked perfectly. Cant say so much for Ryan. All I can say is, dont let your kids us your mask all summer in the pool. lol. other than bouyancy control issues, it was a good first dive. Found the old row boat and a lot of garbage. Father inlaw claims to be partially responsable for the row boat. Him and five other teenages took it down the slide back in 1967. So he says anyway. :)
pics and/or video, or it didn't happen.
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

There's the remains of the old rollerskating rink as well (at least that's the story we got...) I dove BG lake in the summer a few summers ago...thermocline was pretty intense. I kinda think that was my first freshwater dive...

Nice job!!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Jared »

yea, no thermalcline this time. 43 degrees all the way through. I didnt get over to the skating rink. Next time maybe. Only live 10 minutes away.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Might make an interesting dive sometime.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

mz53480 wrote:pics and/or video, or it didn't happen.
:)
:supz: :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Jared »

Sorry baseman. I didn't take any pics
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Jared »

Oops Bassman
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Hey Jared,

Lake Merwin or Yale Lake are someplace to dive locally to the PDX/VAN area if you can't get up north.
The water there is a lot cleaner then Battleground lake.

The line to follow in Lake Merwin is at least something to do
http://www.planyourdive.com/map/sites/6 ... %20Merwin/

Or the wall in Yale Lake
http://www.planyourdive.com/map/sites/762/Yale%20Lake/
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Also while I am posting :)
You should check out the Oregon Scuba Club -- www.oregonscuba.com

Interesting meetings about diving and people from South West Washington are highly encouraged to attend.
Our president this year lives in Vancouver.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Jared »

Thanks for the links Jeff. Im planning going to Merwin this weekend.
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Jared....you solo diving ? I also live in the " couve" and might be able to hook up with you for a lake dive sometime ?
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Jared »

No, I dive, or dove, beings ive only gone once, with my brother inlaw. But we could. If 2 is good, 3 is better. lol
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The 'rollerskating rink" is more likely the decking of a large lodge that stood on the shore there. Considering its proximity to the water, it makes a bit more sense than than a rollerskating rink.

Having lived in Vancouver the past gazillion years, and done my share of dives in BG Lake, I've heard that section referred to as a rollerskating rink, a dance hall floor, and a lodge deck. :rawlings:

One of my first dives in BG lake as a newbie diver was over to that part of the lake, to what we were told was the "dance hall floor" - and our instructor goofed around with us as we pretended to 'dance' on it, underwater.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Janna,

Knowing that BG Lake's water is normally " not drinkable " and has frequent issues with water quality, should this be a lake to be avoided? I have always heard of previous diving instruction schools held there, but they have since stopped? And I always hear of the water issues, not to mention the garbage in the lake.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Most Washington lakes are "not drinkable" although they are far more drinkable than anything in Central America or most of Asia. But its a eutrophic lake so its not tap water. :)

Here's some basic limnology done by Clark County. http://www.co.clark.wa.us/water-resourc ... 0FINAL.pdf

Probably the most significant issue from a human health perspective is the sometimes use of aquatic herbicides for weed control. I would be avoiding diving there for a good while after those applications. Clark County can tell you when those might occur, they are sporadic.

The other significant human health issue is the potential for toxic blue green algae blooms. I don't live down south but these are usually only tested when visible and again don't happen ever year. So again Clark County can probably address your questions best.

Here's their contact info
http://www.clark.wa.gov/water-resources ... nitor.html
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Thanks Capt for the response. I will look into the references you provided. I know people fish there, and some people avoid it like the plague, and won't touch a fish from it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

In very general terms Washington lake water quality isn't bad from a human health perspective.
harmfuul algal blooms, aquatic herbicides and human sources bacteria at swimming beaches being exceptions.

For bioaccumulative toxics like mercury, PCBs, and dioxins its a different story. The vast majority of our urban lakes (probably all urban actually) have contaminated fish. There is no DOH fish advisory for Battle Ground Lake though. I am not positive if that's due to an absence of data or that its not that bad.
http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/fish/fishadvisories.htm

Battle Ground lake is not listed as having "impaired" water quality for toxics just the invasive weed Brazialian elodea so I am guessing fish tissue has not been evaluated.
http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/wats08/Default.aspx

And lastly yes it least appears that Ecology has not evaluated fish tissue in Battle Ground.
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/eimreportin ... cordPage=1

Sorry can't answer your questions more thoroughly, but it seems that algae blooms and eutrophication might be generating some misconceptions about fish tissue quality. Clark County probably doesn't have the money for toxics analysis and/or fish tissue work. So the likely reality is that nobody really knows the sediment and fish tissue quality.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.