Redondo 01/26/2012

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Redondo 01/26/2012

Post by gutholmj »

I met up with cardiver at 1430 for a dive at Redondo today. We did the south side. Vis was pretty good considering the recent weather. probably at least 15'. After the first dive, too many people to name showed up. I decided to whimp out on a second dive. I was cold. My computer recorded the water temp as 44 F but it felt much colder.

Thanks Ron.

"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Re: Redondo 01/26/2012

Post by archaeofish »

Great photo of the lumpsucker! You've got a good eye if you spotted that one under the kelp like that.
:notworthy:
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Nice! I especially love the Lumpie playing hide-and-seek :-)
Dan Hershman :smt024
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Great pics, James!
Attachments
P1262612.JPG
P1262622.JPG
P1262621.JPG
P1262644.JPG
P1262636.JPG
P1262642.JPG
P1262630.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice Shots guys!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

As Keith predicted, it's my turn to sulk in the corner...we called our dive due to wind and heavy surf, combined with darkness and no vis. Then I waited two hours for the ferry, which was all kinds of backed up because the crossings looked like a drunk college student on Halloween. So basically it was zero dives and five hours, which is a pretty terrible ratio.

At least I can count on good photos from you people, to live vicariously. I agree, that lumpie shot is fantastic!! There seem to be so many this year, and lots of opportunities for excellent shots -- I love it!! And Ron - what am I looking at in that third-to-last photo? I want to say it looks like an anemone, but I'm not entirely sure...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

eliseaboo wrote:As Keith predicted, it's my turn to sulk in the corner...we called our dive due to wind and heavy surf, combined with darkness and no vis. Then I waited two hours for the ferry, which was all kinds of backed up because the crossings looked like a drunk college student on Halloween. So basically it was zero dives and five hours, which is a pretty terrible ratio.

At least I can count on good photos from you people, to live vicariously. I agree, that lumpie shot is fantastic!! There seem to be so many this year, and lots of opportunities for excellent shots -- I love it!! And Ron - what am I looking at in that third-to-last photo? I want to say it looks like an anemone, but I'm not entirely sure...
I was waiting for someone to ask......
It's the eye of a Decorator Crab.......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

cardiver wrote:
eliseaboo wrote:As Keith predicted, it's my turn to sulk in the corner...we called our dive due to wind and heavy surf, combined with darkness and no vis. Then I waited two hours for the ferry, which was all kinds of backed up because the crossings looked like a drunk college student on Halloween. So basically it was zero dives and five hours, which is a pretty terrible ratio.

I was waiting for someone to ask......
It's the eye of a Decorator Crab.......

...no way. Really?? Do you have a bigger photo to compare? I mean...really?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

That's the full size and un cropped pic.........
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I meant, did you take another wider photo? I am impressed. My mind is completely blown. I don't even have words. You had an eye theme going on tonight I see...I've tried that many times, and not with much success...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

eliseaboo wrote:I meant, did you take another wider photo? I am impressed. My mind is completely blown. I don't even have words. You had an eye theme going on tonight I see...I've tried that many times, and not with much success...
That was the only shot that I took of it. I rarely takes pics of them because they are so hard to actually see in the photo.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Had a great couple of dives and good to see so many show up to dive. :supz:
Attachments
DSC03323.JPG
DSC03319.JPG
DSC03310.JPG
DSC03303.JPG
DSC03333.JPG
DSC03293.JPG
Jeff Castor
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I had a hunch that was going to happen. When I checked the tall tree wind gauge in my back yard around 4 it was blowing from the west/southwest which is not favorable for Redondo. That place is a wind magnet. If you have time off next week come on down to Hudson, that is if the wind isn't from the south. At least you won't need to take the ferry.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Dusty2 wrote:

I had a hunch that was going to happen. When I checked the tall tree wind gauge in my back yard around 4 it was blowing from the west/southwest which is not favorable for Redondo. That place is a wind magnet. If you have time off next week come on down to Hudson, that is if the wind isn't from the south. At least you won't need to take the ferry.
Actually we were at Driftwood. Still unfavorable. AND I have the 31st off, if you are going to be diving that day. :taco: Maybe by then I'll be done contemplating if Ron is just messing with my head...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

eliseaboo wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:

Actually we were at Driftwood. Still unfavorable. AND I have the 31st off, if you are going to be diving that day. :taco: Maybe by then I'll be done contemplating if Ron is just messing with my head...
Why would you think that?
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

It's a compliment, really. I'm also looking at it thinking "that's an eye??" My mind has not been this blown by a photo in a long time. I never looked that closely at a decorator crab, and really of the people I know, I'm one who should have. It's a good shot. (Not that I didn't expect you to take a good shot, of course)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Great shots and great meeting you guys tonight, had a couple good dives with Mr. Penders. I even managed to grab a few shots while trying out a back inflate BC :-) Hopefully Penders posts a few of his favorites. :smt064

BTW - Does anyone know what the orange looking worm thing is? I have never seen that before.
Attachments
IMG_8018.jpg
IMG_8012.jpg
IMG_8008.jpg
IMG_8002.jpg
IMG_7995.jpg
IMG_7975.jpg
IMG_7957.jpg
IMG_7910.jpg
IMG_7900.jpg
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey there, Those lumpie shots are awesome! I love the lighting effect
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

eliseaboo wrote:Ron - what am I looking at in that third-to-last photo? I want to say it looks like an anemone, but I'm not entirely sure...
Yes, the third-to-last photo is an anemone.
cardiver wrote:
eliseaboo wrote:Maybe by then I'll be done contemplating if Ron is just messing with my head...
Why would you think that?
Perhaps Ron't thinking the third photo, not third-to-last? Or perhaps he is just messing with you. Or maybe my computer is crazy and is showing all the images in reverse order.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Redondo 01/26/2012

Post by cardiver »

Good call, James. If it is the third from the last pic it is definitely not an eye.......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

cardiver wrote:Good call, James. If it is the third from the last pic it is definitely not an eye.......
Oh thank god! I feel slightly less paranoid now.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

eliseaboo wrote:
cardiver wrote:Good call, James. If it is the third from the last pic it is definitely not an eye.......
Oh thank god! I feel slightly less paranoid now.
I guess I just assumed that you meant the eye pic since it was the only one that look unidentifiable to me.....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Great shots everyone! Here are a few from me.
Attachments
Not sure what this is?
Not sure what this is?
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG
IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
Some of the Frosted Nudibranch's had great colors!
Some of the Frosted Nudibranch's had great colors!
Life is good, let's dive!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

What a Redondo Photo Fest! Great job everyone!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Hey there, Those lumpie shots are awesome! I love the lighting effect
Thanks Dusty! It helped that the Lumpie was the size of a golf ball and was completely still. I used my new +5 and +8 FIT lenses I recently purchased from Mr. Connick. That picture is right out of the camera with a minor crop to the size I like :-) I am really digging the new lenses, but it is a whole new learning curve to get clean shots.

I also started using two focus lights. One is has a red filter for octos, squid, lumpies, and other skittish critters. Take a look at the eyes on the squid and octo, wide open! The red filter really helped with the Lumpie shot too. I can't remember where I saw the red filter recommendation on this board, but another great suggestion from a fellow NW Club member!

It may have been you that suggested it??? I know you use you can light for photography, do use a filter on it?