DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm

I met up with Bob, James, Rob, Keith, and Tom this morning for an early morning dive at Day Island, followed by a dive at Titlow. The weather was perfect and the water was flat with no current to speak of on either dive.
Not a lot of life on the wall right now but we did see a few wolfies and a couple of lings guarding their nests.
Upon exit from the water at Day Island we saw that UPPD had been busy writing on everyone's windows that had parked SE of the entry. Someone ( Mr Angry) had complained about people parking on the street so we all got "warning graffiti" on our windows. Of the six cars that had the warning painted on them the only two that deserved it were parked right on the corner and were blocking not only the street but also the school buses ability to make the corner.......
Attachments
a screen shot.jpg
P2022690.jpg
Rob
P2022691.jpg
James
P2022680.jpg
P2022717-1.jpg
P2022714.jpg
P2022706.jpg
P2022704.jpg
P2022705.jpg
P2022703.jpg
P2022695.jpg
P2022694.jpg
My window
P2022679.jpg
P2022697.jpg
My Audi......
P2022698.jpg
Home owners BMW....
Last edited by cardiver on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
fmerkel
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by fmerkel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:57 pm

This comes up periodically. Most of the folks living there are quite reasonable. I have not had any trouble with anyone for several years and I dive there maybe a dozen times a year.
That said I keep a pretty tight rein on my group, and make sure people have good neighborhood manners, parking and noise being the big main ones. I've never had anyone be a problem, and if I did they would be permanently uninvited.
Mr. Angry (this is the guy to the RIGHT of the path down) is a nuisance that needs to be lived with. It appears he won't go away, will not be reasoned with, and has substantial staying power.
If at all possible do not park in front of his house, ever, even if it is legal and available. Just don't poke the bear. In the end it does no one any good.
I know for a fact that the authorities are far more annoyed by him then they are the divers. Lets keep it that way.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.

User avatar
WylerBear
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:29 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by WylerBear » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm

What's "UPPD?"
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 pm

fmerkel wrote:This comes up periodically. Most of the folks living there are quite reasonable. I have not had any trouble with anyone for several years and I dive there maybe a dozen times a year.
That said I keep a pretty tight rein on my group, and make sure people have good neighborhood manners, parking and noise being the big main ones. I've never had anyone be a problem, and if I did they would be permanently uninvited.
Mr. Angry (this is the guy to the RIGHT of the path down) is a nuisance that needs to be lived with. It appears he won't go away, will not be reasoned with, and has substantial staying power.
If at all possible do not park in front of his house, ever, even if it is legal and available. Just don't poke the bear. In the end it does no one any good.
I know for a fact that the authorities are far more annoyed by him then they are the divers. Lets keep it that way.

I agree. I have never had a problem with any home owners there before and I've been diving there for years.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

WylerBear wrote:What's "UPPD?"

University Place Police Dept. They sub contract through Pierce Co Sheriffs Dept........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by gutholmj » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Great photos Ron but where's the crab eye?

A few more.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Nice shot of the jelly!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by SeanKylgod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm

What app is that on the iPhone?
.

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 pm

SeanKylgod wrote:What app is that on the iPhone?

Dive Book Pro
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by SeanKylgod » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:41 pm

does it sync from your dive comp, or did you just plug in the info manually?
cardiver wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:What app is that on the iPhone?

Dive Book Pro
.

defied
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2057
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by defied » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:42 pm

What was viz at DIW looking like? Thinking about capturing some video.

D

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm

defied wrote:What was viz at DIW looking like? Thinking about capturing some video.

D

Not bad. !5' on the wall and 20' in the shallows.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

defied
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2057
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by defied » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Right on, thanks!

D

User avatar
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills
Posts: 2967
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:13 pm

DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by Scubie Doo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Great Jelly shot!

User avatar
fmerkel
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by fmerkel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

cardiver wrote:
WylerBear wrote:What's "UPPD?"

University Place Police Dept. They sub contract through Pierce Co Sheriffs Dept........


I'm pretty sure the UPPD would not graffiti a car like that. I believe if they did, and this could be proven, they might be in a bit of a hurt. If you were parked illegally, you'd get a written warning or a outright ticket. This seems like simple intimidation. This is a stock 'Mr. Angry' tactic, intimidation that is. Once, years ago, he came out an videoed our group. I tried to engage him in conversation, not confrontational at all. He just glowered and left, but at least he left.

Without knowing the local regulations for sure it seems like any car parked well off the road and not blocking right of way, driveways, or entry ways, should be entirely legal. It is too narrow to park entirely off the road in most places so this is not logically consistent.

Keep those photos.Might be useful. In fact, maybe think about showing them in TO the UPPD AND the Tacoma Police.
Anyone with more 'legal knowledge' care to weigh in on this?

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 pm

fmerkel wrote:
cardiver wrote:
WylerBear wrote:What's "UPPD?"

University Place Police Dept. They sub contract through Pierce Co Sheriffs Dept........


I'm pretty sure the UPPD would not graffiti a car like that. I believe if they did, and this could be proven, they might be in a bit of a hurt. If you were parked illegally, you'd get a written warning or a outright ticket. This seems like simple intimidation. This is a stock 'Mr. Angry' tactic, intimidation that is. Once, years ago, he came out an videoed our group. I tried to engage him in conversation, not confrontational at all. He just glowered and left, but at least he left.

Without knowing the local regulations for sure it seems like any car parked well off the road and not blocking right of way, driveways, or entry ways, should be entirely legal. It is too narrow to park entirely off the road in most places so this is not logically consistent.

Keep those photos.Might be useful. In fact, maybe think about showing them in TO the UPPD AND the Tacoma Police.
Anyone with more 'legal knowledge' care to weigh in on this?

Fritz

They did do it. One of the divers had left his wife with the car while he dove. She was there when UPPD parked and marked all of the cars.
I was saying the same thing that you are until this guy told me that his wife was there throughout........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
fmerkel
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by fmerkel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Mmmm, still seems more like intimidation than a legal action.
Good extra bit of info though.
Hired, huh?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.

User avatar
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:57 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by DiverBob » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Great dive this morning at DIW and Titlow Beach. Sure is nice to get out early and watch the sun rise while under water! Mr. Angry (I think) was out walking his dogs when we finished the dive. He had a puppy that looked like an Australian Shepherd, but with a tail. Since Julie and I have a Aussie, I went over and with a friendly voice asked if that was an Australian Shepherd? He turned to me and with a snotty voice, said "NO"! It is kind of sad that some people can live in such a beautiful setting, but have such a shitty outlook on some things. Oh well, it didn't change my outlook, what a wonderful morning for a dive!
Attachments
IMG_2353.JPG
GPO that Rob and I found out in the open at Titlow.
IMG_2350.JPG
This Vermilion Rockfish was a bit camera shy!
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG
Ling cod with unique coloring.
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2312.JPG
Life is good, let's dive!!

User avatar
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by Jeff Pack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Technically, if any part of your vehicle is in the roadway, you can be ticketed.

We used to have this same problem back when I mountain climbed. At Peshastin Pinnacles, a farmer got pissed, and the sheriff came in and ticketed very vehicle that touched the roadway, and the tickets stuck when fought.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.

User avatar
cardiver
I've Got Gills
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:43 am

DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by cardiver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm

I would have been fine with a citation. I didn't care for the graffiti.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY

User avatar
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:14 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by pogiguy05 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I guess a good question to ask the right department is IF that is PUBLIC access then can someone clearly mark where the PUBLIC parking is there? does not make any sense to not have at least a couple designated spots.

[sarcasm]I promise that if I win the huge lottery jackpot I will make him an offer he cannot refuse and then tear down the house for parking lot.[/sarcasm]:rjack:
Jeff Castor

User avatar
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills
Posts: 9356
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by Tom Nic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm

A wonderfully delightful two dives! Thanks everyone!

I haven't done DIW in quite a while. Surface was flat calm at both DIW & Titlow, and there was hardly a whisper of current on either dive. Viz was good for these sites - I don't know that I've seen it much better than 20' or so in the narrows, though I'm sure it can happen. Absolutely perfect conditions!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman

User avatar
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by Gdog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Hope the vis stays....looks very diveable Sunday, when Im off as well.

User avatar
Linedog
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1268
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 am

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by Linedog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Gdog, when are you diving Sunday? As I'm splashing Titlow at 0930.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.

User avatar
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: DIW & Titlow 2/2/12

Post by Gdog » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 pm

We are looking at splashing at 2:30....welcome to join!

Post Reply