whale at sunny side beach

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
bucknaked
Submariner

whale at sunny side beach

Post by bucknaked »

Did a dive with a buddy at sunny side at about1700. Was getting gear ready when buddy said something along lines of look a whale. And sure enough there was a whale. Saw the back and whale tail.then saw it breath down farther down the sound. Pretty cool to say the least.i decent realize that es whales come that far south in the sound.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: whale at sunny side beach

Post by eliseaboo »

Sweet!! Yeah, there's a whole network of whale spotters that track them. I got to see some once off the dock here, it's pretty neat.

http://www.orcanetwork.org/sightings/map.html shows the latest sightings - looks like all the south sightings have been transients lately.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I dont rember seeing a doral fin. Thinking it is somthing besides a orca. It was the first whale outside or a zoo i have seen.cool link by the r way :pirate:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've heard reports of grey whales being seen at Edmonds before, but not that far south. What a cool surprise!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

from http://www.orcanetwork.org/sightings/map.html
April 15, 2012

Folks - there is a pod of Orca whales swimming off of Anderson and McNeil Islands...right here in South Sound. I guess they have been out there all day. If you are out that way with a camera...video equipment, etc...please play movie maker - without disturbing the magnificent creatures - thanks! Wow...
Sue Patnude (forwarded by Pat Rasmussen)
Amy Carey reports that a friend heard orcas in Colvos Passage around 11 pm.
Natasha Bevin called after seeing 8 - 10 orcas from the Tacoma Narrows park. They were headed south between Fox Island and Gig Harbor. She said they came very close to shore as she walked and ran down the beach with them. She said at one point three orcas lunged after two ducks, but the ducks got away at first. Then the orcas dove and came back from under the ducks, and "there go the ducks."
8:14 - There are 2 Orcas right off of mcneil island. Right across from where the ferry leaves steilacoom. Saw a nice big pod of porpoises. Big unidentified whale swimming midchannel between steilacoom and mcneil. Tonight is my lucky night! I don't have a camera.
Tracie Rodriguez
6:38 - We are watching them about mid channel in front of the Narrows Marina! Beautiful!
Sandi Estes Hill
Pod that was off Pt. Defiance near Tacoma, WA just went under the narrows bridge. Still heading south at 5:55pm. 5 or maybe even 6 whales.
Tracie Rodriguez
And another update on the Puget Sound Transients from Lori Willson - at 5:50 pm she reports they are at Titlow beach in Tacoma, they've just come under the Narrows Bridge, still heading south.
I spent nearly 8 hours following this group of transients from West Seattle down to Titlow Beach in Tacoma. These photos were all taken from various points along 5 mile drive in Point Defiance Park.
Lori Willson
5:50 - Brad Hanson called from the Tacoma Narrows bridge where the Ts were still headed south against a very strong current. 2:10 - Brad Hanson called from about a mile SW of Pt. Robinson with the T49Bs, still headed south.
There was a pod of Orcas off Point Defiance Sunday night. There were about 5 -6 minimum. They were close to the shore by Point Defiance headed south towards the Tacoma Narrows bridge. They crossed the channel towards the Gig Harbor side. This was about 5:30pm. There was some sort of research type of boat trailing them. Later that night (about 7:45pm), as we were entering our marina, we heard another call on the radio warning a boat "Slow down, there are killer whales dead ahead" so they were still around a couple of hours later.
Jeff Eaton
3:32 - Still southbound. Now near browns point/piner point.
3:21 - Now at the south end of vashon. Definitely picked up speed.
2:50 pm - Whales still southbound near the former Glacier site (love saying former) along the se shore of maury island.
Preserve Our Islands
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I have been watching gray whales in front of my home every high tide for weeks. Right now the tide is out and I can see the spots in which they scooped out while feeding less than 100 yd from where I sit.
GrayWhale2.JPG
I don't have a telephoto lens. I shot this from my deck with a little point and shoot. Those of us who live and dive around Puget Sound are so lucky.
-Curt :rawlings:
Last edited by oldsalt on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be alive.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

That is cool to say the least. Must be a challenge to have them that close to the house.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Cool, but now my wife is mad, that she has not seen this whale :angry:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

If you would dive at sunny side and take her with you. Then yall too could see the whale.