Sund Rock - 5/11/12 - A New Adventure

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Sorry for the late trip report, but I had a pretty busy weekend. Penders, Dane, and I wanted to go on a little adventure Friday night. Our goal was to avoid currents and hit a site that we normally do not dive. The choice was Sound Rock. All three of us had been there on several occasions. However, this would be special because we would be doing a dusk and night dive. We had never dove Sund at night.

For the first dive we decided to hit the deep "Fish Pen Wall" at about 100' (http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/sund.gif). We swam out to the bout and dropped at about 7:15PM. The water on the surface seemed pretty warm 48 degrees. As we looked down, viz looked great. We preceded to descend. At about 15' viz turned to 6" or so. I knew it was about 6" because I could not see my dive computer. I could not even make out a large orange anemone that I almost ran into. After about 20 seconds, I decided to ascend to find Mike and Dane. To my surprise their bubbles were about 3 feet away, that's how bad the viz was. They surfaced and we decided to swim out deeper in the hopes that things would open up. We defended the 2nd time and at about 35-40' things opened up to about 15'-20' of viz. We proceed to the deep wall and found it right away. We had never been to that wall. There was tons of life there. Mostly nudibranchs, squat lobsters, and rockfish (see pics). We headed to the south wall and conducted our safety stop in zero viz. The water down below the crud was about 43 degrees and felt considerably colder. Our max depth on this dive was 89' and we were down for about 56 minutes.

After an hour 20 minute SI, we decided to conduct the same type of dive to the deep center wall. This time we hit about 95' and were down for 48 minutes before we got cold. On the second dive we found a playful wolf eel and stuck its head out for a few pictures (which Mike got) and a bed of Red Flabellina's (or Red-Gilled Nudis). The bed of nudibranchs was beautiful, there were dozens of them perched up on twigs. If you are a fan of nudis, this was a great dive. We also saw a couple Vermilion Rockfish. When all was said and done we wrapped up the night at about 11:30PM and headed back to Puyallup. My head hit the pillow about 1:00am and my alarm went off at 8:30am to go surfing at Westport :-)

If you have never done a Sound Rock night dive, it is worth the adventure! Have a good week ya'll!
Attachments
Dive map of Sund, (http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/sund.gif)
Dive map of Sund, (http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/sund.gif)
The star of the night :-)
The star of the night :-)
Just hanging out.
Just hanging out.
Mom and baby nudi.
Mom and baby nudi.
White-and-orange-tipped nudi.
White-and-orange-tipped nudi.
Anemone close-up.
Anemone close-up.
Can someone tell me what the whites strands are on this fella?
Can someone tell me what the whites strands are on this fella?
It appears this nudi is laying eggs. I thought that was kind of cool.
It appears this nudi is laying eggs. I thought that was kind of cool.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock - 5/11/12 - A New Adventure

Post by Tom Nic »

The Flabellina triophina are definitely blooming in the Hood right now. There were more of them than I have ever seen at Jorstad Creek - a huge bloom between 50fsw and the top of the deep wall.

Night dives at Sund are cool!

Of course with the layer of crud any dive in Hood Canal below 20fsw or so is a night dive. :banghead:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Yeah Tom, it was dark on the first dive. There was a little ambient light. Diving at night there was pretty cool though. Sure makes for a late night.

You going diving this Thursday?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great photos Jesse, The white strands are a paraeites eggs and are very comon on those nudies. The parasite lives inside the nudie but extrudes it's eggs outside so they can find new hosts when they hatch.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Great post and pics, Sund Rock is always a fun dive. I dont remember being to that wall at 160' on your map, has anyone been out there ? The 160' ish wall I have been to there, wasn't in that location.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

doublesunder wrote:Great post and pics, Sund Rock is always a fun dive. I dont remember being to that wall at 160' on your map, has anyone been out there ? The 160' ish wall I have been to there, wasn't in that location.
We went to the fish pen wall at 100'. I have never been to the one at 160'. I pulled the map from pnwscuba's website. I posted the URL, it has a ton of great maps and write-ups.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:Yeah Tom, it was dark on the first dive. There was a little ambient light. Diving at night there was pretty cool though. Sure makes for a late night.

No Thursday for me this week, but will be hitting Jorstad on Friday.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:Yeah Tom, it was dark on the first dive. There was a little ambient light. Diving at night there was pretty cool though. Sure makes for a late night.

No Thursday for me this week, but will be hitting Jorstad on Friday.
Okay, look forward to the report. Have fun out there.