Strong Water = great diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Strong Water = great diving

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did a long week-end at Kal and Ann's place ... Strong Water ... up in Egmont. It's the first time I've been up there since Porpoise Bay Charters moved to this place from their previous location in Sechelt. I like this location way better. Used to be you'd go out and spend the day on the boat, because the dive sites were all pretty far away. Now all the dive sites are really close ... longest ride we had all week-end was about 20 minutes, and both the Skookumchuck and Agammemnon powerlines are maybe 10 minutes from their dock. We did nine dives ... eight different sites ... and they were all new to me. Vis was generally pretty good ... 30 to 50 feet, with one exception ... and so I got to finally try out the wide-angle lens I purchased for the new camera.

Prior to these dives, I'd only had the camera in the water three times ... and that with the macro lens. This time I used the wide-angle exclusively for all nine dives. Got a lot of really crappy pictures, as I played with settings and strobe positions to try learning this new setup. But every once in a while I'd get something I liked.

Here's a sampling ... Diver_C was my photo subject and dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Strong Water = great diving

Post by airsix »

Wow! Looks like fantastic diving, Bob. I hope you guys had fun on par with these great photos.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Very nice, Bob. Looks like your wide angle is a winner :)
It sure helps that your model wasn't wearing all black. That is always the problem with my wide angle/diver pics.
I really like the cloud sponges...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Lovely photos, as always Bob!

My boyfriend likes to use me as a subject because my drysuit is purple...makes total sense, but rarely does anyone consider that in their gear purchase ;)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Great pictures, Bob! Did you do Agamemnon Wall? That's on my bucket list.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Agamemnon Wall (The power lines) and Skukumchuck are among my favorite all time dives. Thanks for the pictures and the memories.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yes, we did Agammemnon Wall (power lines) ... the cloud sponges are huge and prolific. However, I liked the smaller but more numerous ones at Captain's Island better. Here's a shot from Agammemnon ...

The biggest problem with Agammemnon Wall is that it's become too popular ... damage from divers with poor buoyancy control has taken a toll. Pressure from commercial fishing hasn't helped. The sponges were amazing, but I can only imagine what it must have been like before National Geographic turned it into a "must" dive for every AOW student with a camera.

We did Skookumchuck Rapids twice ... it's the only dive we did twice, because we hit it during a really good exchange. It's a beautiful dive, but it just didn't do it for me photography wise. Even during a low exchange, the current was turning us every which way but loose ... and although the wall was just carpeted with colorful anemones and ochre stars, I didn't take many pictures and didn't have any that I'd call "keepers" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Wow!!! Those dives look amazing! Great pics!
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Phenomenal as usual Bob!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Very Nice. Make me have even stronger hope I get to do cold water diving again.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I agree with Agamennon Wall, It is fantastic! Stagg wall is good as well but my latest favorite dive is Captains Island.
Kal and Anne, They run a good, safe, fun operation. If you hadn't had the opportunity...try and go!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Great diving with you Bob, per usual!! :supz: :supz: :supz: No question Captain's Island best dive of the weekend.