just another day at the office ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

just another day at the office ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Both days this week-end I had the opportunity to do long solo dives with my camera. Since we're in the midst of a pretty healthy plankton bloom right now, I decided to keep it macro, in hopes of getting something decent without a lot of schmutz in the picture.

Yesterday's dive at Redondo proved interesting. When I arrived, there was a thick layer of dead plankton floating on the surface ... looked like a massive oil spill or something. Since I was diving sidemount, I was concerned that if I dropped my tanks in the water as usual I might not find them ... so I tied my SMB to them to mark where they were. Turned out to be a good idea, as the vis in the shallows was zero. The other thing I noticed was that as I was gearing up, all that floating schmutz was sticking to every surface ... and once I got down below it, it didn't wash off. I had to use my glove to rub it off the lens of my housing. But I did get below it. By 30 feet, vis was decent ... below about 60 feet, it was clear, but dark. Of course dark is quite OK as far as the little octopus are concerned ... this one was rather active ...

I did my usual south entry, swimming across the fishing pier at about 80 fsw, and coming up from the carousel boat to the aquarium. I did stop by to say hello to my little wolfie friend, but her den was completely buried in kelp and sea lettuce, and I figured I've got enough pictures of her for now anyway, so I waved at her through the fronds and kept going. On my way up I found a grunt sculpin, and as I was lining up a shot, this hermit crab comes scurrying into the frame and ... well ... watch what happened next ...

... into the picture frame ...

... makes like a hat ...

... and then jumps off and sits there, posing pretty as you please ...

Makes me wonder if they knew each other ...

I checked out my cockerell's dorids ...

And then found a slender cockscomb ... haven't seen one of these in a while ...

Overall, a very nice dive ... max depth 85 fsw, dive time 69 minutes. But I came out completely covered in a thick film of dead plankton which, by the time I got back to the car, stank. And when I got home, I discovered it wasn't going to wash off either. After thoroughly soaking my gear, I had to take a brush to it and soak it again. Same for the camera housing and strobes. That stuff sticks like adhesive.

So today I decided to head up to my old office ... Cove 2 ... and go for a different look. The soup up there was thick down to about 60 feet, after which it got reasonable. For the most part, the story of this dive was nudibranchs ... although I did find a red brotula (no good pictures, though ... they're really reclusive and hard to photograph) ... and a few other critters that I did manage some pictures of.

Lots of flabellinas down deep ... got some decent shots ...

... and no dive lately is complete without at least one crassicornis picture ...

This tubeworm is a bit different ... almost looks like a bird ...

Down deep I found a red fur crab. He was stuck far back into the pilings, so I just went for a face shot ...

And on the way up I found some stiletto shrimp ...

... and a horned shrimp ... these guys are really hard to see ...

Overall a really nice dive ... despite the thick planktonic stew in the shallower depths. Did 80 minutes, to a max depth of 104 fsw.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: just another day at the office ...

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great shots, as usual, Bob. I particularly like the first one of the lil' octo!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great shots, great report, thanks for the write up!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Great pics, Bob!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

The octo shot is epic!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, these sorts of photos just summarize why it's worth pouring yourself into acres of insulation and trilaminate, to brave the ice cream headache and the murk. BEAUTIFUL Puget Sound pictures, Bob!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That horned shrimp is awesome. they are really tough to photograph where you can actually see detail and tell what it is!
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

WOW! Beautiful shots Bob.

Jerry
Hoodsport, WA
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very cool...thanks for sharing!
mtnplayva
Just Settling In

Post by mtnplayva »

Beautiful pictures Bob! They make me very excited about diving on the west coast next month.
My dives are in memory of Jennifer Coyne, RN 1982 - 2007
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Only you could persuade a grunt to pose with a hermit crab on his head! Great photo's Bob!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy