Redondo again

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Redondo again

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
DLH and I went to Redondo again last night around 9pm, looking for the sixgill. No sixgill, but we did see a lot of small dogfish. There were a lot of plainfin midshipman and small octos too.
DSC_1496.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Aw Yeah! Mission accomplished!

Post by diverden »

YellowEye wrote:Hi
DLH and I went to Redondo again last night around 9pm, looking for the sixgill. No sixgill, but we did see a lot of small dogfish. There were a lot of plainfin midshipman and small octos too.
DSC_1496.jpg
Didn't see you.... we splashed at 7:30 or 7:45, scooted out past the bottle field on a heading of 230 for a bit then 270... just slowly kicking out... to about 110 fsw. After about 10 minutes of nothing, NDL reading 2 minutes, I was about to turn it but thought I saw a dogfish so signaled and kicked out to it.

It wasn't a dog fish! It was a very small 6er! Then I got a buddy signal and turned around to see what the hell they could possibly want while I was TRYING TO GET VIDEO OF A SIX-GILL. There was another that snuck up on us. This one, while still relatively small was 3-4 times bigger than the 1st.

Video is uploading...
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Re: Redondo again

Post by Dive Monkey »

I was wondering if there was more than one. The little guy we came across looked much smaller then the one in the videos that have been popping up. Thats awsome!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Wicked cool!
I really like the shots where the shark is backlit!
Nice!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Damn, I am so jealous of you guys. I hope those sharks stick around for awhile.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

spatman wrote:Damn, I am so jealous of you guys. I hope those sharks stick around for awhile.
They must like the warm tropical waters created by those light sabers illuminating them... :neener:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Certainly in no hurry to get away! i liked that one close pass, bet your heart was pounding!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

All you guys seeing six gills need to post a separate thread with six gill in the title somehow - seriously, could be useful for those researching the sharks, sightings, individual critter ID, etc.

Bdub posted on Facebook that they saw a couple more, including a six footer. Gotta love scooters and doubles! They got some great shots and video no doubt, and I am sure will eventually post.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

spatman wrote:Damn, I am so jealous of you guys. I hope those sharks stick around for awhile.
I'm assuming they'll be around for a bit, but how long?? I was very happy to have the encounter. I started cold water diving in '07 and was worried they'd all left for good!