KING KONG vs. GODZILLA - A Visit to Edmonds

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

KING KONG vs. GODZILLA - A Visit to Edmonds

Post by Tom Nic »

This image pretty much says it all!

I had the opportunity to head from the South-lands up North through the jungle that is Seattle traffic to a site that you North dwelling NWDiveClubbers get to dive regularly, but our South Sound contingent don't often get up that way. I am almost embarrassed to say that it has been years since I dove Edmond's... couldn't really pull up a specific date without consulting the ancient manuscript portion of my dive logs, but suffice it to say I was a newb.

All I can say is "Why in the blazes did I wait so long?!?" :tomnic:

We braved traffic both ways and did three hour plus dives. (Surface interval? Who needs a surface interval when you never hit 40fsw and are diving nitrox?! Get out of your suit, go to the bathroom, gear up and by the time you drop for your next dive you've almost been out an hour anyway!) I will spare my easily distracted friends a hugely detailed report, but just wanted to post a couple of conclusions I came to based on the difference between diving it as a newbie and diving it now.

1) Do Multiple Dives! There is so much to see, and it is so shallow that even diving air you don't load a ton of nitrogen. Coming from the South you really need to make an extended day of it to make the drive and the traffic worth it.

2) Do The Surface Swims!! OK, I absolutely HATE surface swims. I HATE THEM!! 'Nuff said. But here they are SO worth it! Our first dive we swam to one of the near buoys and began our dive there. Our last two dives we swam WAY the heck out... starting our last dive on the pontoon.

You drop right on amazing structure, and whether you like big stuff or little stuff there is TONS to see and photograph. And when you are ready to move on you have more tons of cool stuff to see on the way in. Seriously, the length of your dives here are only limited by your cold tolerance or ability (or inability) to offload your body's urine!

3) BIG Fish! Gi-frickin'normous Fish! Give-you-nightmares Fish! Did I mention the big fish? :brute:
The largest ling I saw was conservatively 5' long and I've heard rumors of larger ones. These big boys make the Lings at Sund look like babies, and the minute you think you've seen the largest one you go around a corner and "BAM!" Oh, and speaking of "BAM!", a couple of Cabbies are still sitting on dead clutches of last year's eggs and have not gotten the memo that their Daddy duties are done. I swear they have to be the coolest, meanest, ugliest, most cantankerous critter in PNW waters. They just look pissed off, don't they?!? :angry:

4) Don't Miss The Small Stuff! Yes, the name of the game is structure and huge fish, but there are also alot of tiny things to find if you will slow down and look.

Thank to Bnboly and Zsaoly for letting me tag along on their adventure and for being great dive buddies!

I am more and more keenly aware of the limitations of my camera equipment, especially on a dive like this where wide angle and a couple big strobes would be so welcome. That said, I love taking pics, both for memories and ID purposes and on the off chance of capturing a really nice image. A few that I liked are below, and the ones I uploaded are here.

When you stop being distracted by the big boys there are small Sculpin everywhere, and they are fat and well fed! Here was a particularly ambitious male Scaleyhead that was doing its best to consume a hermit crab. After bothering him for about five minutes with my camera the hermit crab escaped and the Scaleyhead went off to resume its hunting expedition for more easily consumed fare.

And of course - the big boys. Wish I had strobes and a wide angle for these guys... or as Bassman says, "You need to carry a toothbrush and put it in the picture for perspective!"

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: KING KONG vs. GODZILLA - A Visit to Edmonds

Post by Jan K »

Great report and photos to prove its content :supz:
Thanks for sharing.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks Jan!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ZSAOLY
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ZSAOLY »

the Cab's are grumpy for sure :angry: Like you said to Tom the multi-dive-day is the best way to do it and plan it with that dusk dive at the end to wait out the traffic. but i will say the structure and the big fish make is very exciting LOL :eek: and thank you Tom for coming out you to Bill.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There is SO much structure at Edmonds, and most people never seen more than a tiny bit of it, because the distances are so big. It would be a perfect site for scooters, if they were allowed.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Any bottles? :smt064
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

bucknaked wrote:Any bottles? :smt064
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

um yeah ... you south end people always complain about the drive North.. Edmonds is a #1 dive site ... DUh
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:um yeah ... you south end people always complain about the drive North.. Edmonds is a #1 dive site ... DUh
Oh come on Chris, here I'm giving one of "your" sites props and you start ragging on "you ...people"? :penelope:

And.... The complaints run pretty much both ways, and both north and south residents of our fine State have equal reason for complaining about the traffic bottleneck that is downtown Seattle. :boxer:

And speaking of bottles, buck, there's one for ya - Seattle's bottlenecked traffic. :tomnic:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Tom Nic wrote:
H20doctor wrote:um yeah ... you south end people always complain about the drive North.. Edmonds is a #1 dive site ... DUh
Oh come on Chris, here I'm giving one of "your" sites props and you start ragging on "you ...people"? :penelope:

And.... The complaints run pretty much both ways, and both north and south residents of our fine State have equal reason for complaining about the traffic bottleneck that is downtown Seattle. :boxer
And speaking of bottles, buck, there's one for ya - Seattle's bottlenecked traffic. :tomnic:
And that is why i dont go up there traffic :chat: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :huge: :banghead: :banghead:
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Great write up! This one was really well done, thanks!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Bric Martin wrote:Great write up! This one was really well done, thanks!
Thank you, sir!
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

LCF wrote:There is SO much structure at Edmonds, and most people never seen more than a tiny bit of it, because the distances are so big. It would be a perfect site for scooters, if they were allowed.
I've heard mixed things about this. I imagine that the rule that bans motorized watercraft is meant to keep boats, jetskis, etc. out for diver safety. Scooters wouldn't seem to violate the spirit of that rule. I know people who have scootered it and say it's amazing. Has anybody ever followed up with the city of Edmonds on this?

Not that I have a scooter--maybe some day...
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Glad you were able to dive Edmonds again after a very long hiatus. Now, if you can only convince your cronies to come up here more often. For the record, I didn't stop diving with the South Sound Group because of the drive. Oh, did I mention traffic? :pirate: It was more of like a schedule change with my wife.

Hey, I might be able to hang out with you guys on Thursday. I got my mother-in-law in town.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I've heard nobody has ever got in actual trouble for scootering it.

Sort of like the dry dock, I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for diving that either.

Maybe somebody else has?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Oh yeah, nice write up too Tom!

I dove Edmonds almost every weekend for the first few months of my diving days. Good buoyancy practice at 15-35 ft.... :)
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Jeremy wrote:I've heard nobody has ever got in actual trouble for scootering it.

Sort of like the dry dock, I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for diving that either.

Maybe somebody else has?
Yep, peeps scoot EUP quite often. Solo diving is also not allowed at EUP either, but also done by divers. Most reports I get from people being yelled at by the Ferry personnel are divers who seem to look like they are getting pushed by the current closer to the dock, or the ferry personnel seem to think that these divers just don't know what they're doing. If you float too long close to the dock, they seem to get anxious and concerned. Otherwise, it's a hit and miss being yelled at. If they yell at you, you better get the hell away from the dock really fast, or they will call the cops.

Diving the dry dock: Case in point. Last Wednesday, we dove the dry dock (9 divers) around 1900. Then, another group of 3 followed us. Both groups. were clearly visibile by the ferry personnel, we were clearly less than 300 feet away, as everybody knows the piling is just a stone throw away, but didn't get in trouble.
Last edited by coulterboy on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What I have heard is that the statute is ambiguous. The Edmonds police don't care. Bruce Higgins DOES care -- do not try to scooter this site on a weekend morning!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Yeah, I've seen Bruce yell at people for having their leashed dog with them there. Granted, there was a baby seal pup on the beach at the time.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Tom: Wonderful report. You are right about EUP, it is a jewel and we owe thanks to Bruce Higgins and the volunteers for its existence. Before Bruce fought for the park, the city of Edmonds planned on closing the area to diving. Regarding the big fish, my son Erik did his first night dive there years ago. He was home from college and the surface swim in the moonlight was wonderful. While diving the DeLion drydock, I found a very large lingcod (given the name Big Ed by locals). Ed did his full threat display, open mouth, spread operculum, pectoral fins extended. I signaled Erik to look. Ed attacked. Erik gave the thumbs-up surface signal. Upon surfacing I asked, "What's wrong son?" That's when he uttered the line, "Dad, I'm not sure that fish knows his place on the food chain."
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Jeremy wrote:Yeah, I've seen Bruce yell at people for having their leashed dog with them there. Granted, there was a baby seal pup on the beach at the time.
Just gotta chime in on this comment. I've never seen Bruce yell or even speak sternly at anyone in my years diving with him.
He usually just acts like the people got turned around when looking for the Edmonds dog beach.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

coulterboy wrote:Glad you were able to dive Edmonds again after a very long hiatus. Now, if you can only convince your cronies to come up here more often. For the record, I didn't stop diving with the South Sound Group because of the drive. Oh, did I mention traffic? :pirate: It was more of like a schedule change with my wife.

Hey, I might be able to hang out with you guys on Thursday. I got my mother-in-law in town.
Thanks Tom - I hope to make this Thursday as well, and it would be great to see you again.

I am almost ashamed to admit that I have voted no on a north trip once or twice.

My vote.next time will be yes, and head out early!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

mkmc wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Yeah, I've seen Bruce yell at people for having their leashed dog with them there. Granted, there was a baby seal pup on the beach at the time.
Just gotta chime in on this comment. I've never seen Bruce yell or even speak sternly at anyone in my years diving with him.
He usually just acts like the people got turned around when looking for the Edmonds dog beach.
I have never met Bruce, but look forward to doing so and shaking his hand and saying thanks for his part in making the park happen - and of course thanks to all who volunteered. A place like that does not happen with one person. Hats off and my thanks and respect to all - you have given us a treasure!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

oldsalt wrote:Tom: Wonderful report. You are right about EUP, it is a jewel and we owe thanks to Bruce Higgins and the volunteers for its existence. Before Bruce fought for the park, the city of Edmonds planned on closing the area to diving. Regarding the big fish, my son Erik did his first night dive there years ago. He was home from college and the surface swim in the moonlight was wonderful. While diving the DeLion drydock, I found a very large lingcod (given the name Big Ed by locals). Ed did his full threat display, open mouth, spread operculum, pectoral fins extended. I signaled Erik to look. Ed attacked. Erik gave the thumbs-up surface signal. Upon surfacing I asked, "What's wrong son?" That's when he uttered the line, "Dad, I'm not sure that fish knows his place on the food chain."
-Curt
Thank you Curt! And thanks for telling your story - It brought a smile to my face and I am in wholehearted agreement with your son!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:Oh yeah, nice write up too Tom!

I dove Edmonds almost every weekend for the first few months of my diving days. Good buoyancy practice at 15-35 ft.... :)
Thank you Jeremy. And the nice thing about being an experienced diver here Is not having to worry about buoyancy and air consumption, but just float in and through the structure looking at the critters!