Bucknaked and Friends

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Bucknaked and Friends

Post by Scubie Doo »

Hit up a couple dives this week with Bucknaked and MPenders. Wednesday night we hit Les Davis and the stubbies were on display. First up was this beautiful stubby. He was a little freaked out, but I managed to get this shot as he scrambled away. My only frustration is that I could not get this in landscape. I was in an odd position and took what I could get :)

Next up is one of the smallest stubbies I have ever seen. I did crop this to show the tiny little shrimp. This thing was the size of my pinky nail, very cute little critter. Matt and I spent time on it before we got dusted out by a couple of other divers and a strong current.

Finally, I swam up on this pale white stubby. Notice the color change. The first shot (top) was the approach with all my white lights on. The second (middle) is when I switched my focus light to red. And the bottom shot is when it finally relaxed and opened its eyes with only my red light on.

Last night we hit Cove 2 and saw the normal cast of characters. Lots of octos out, including a three legged octo. It must have narrowly escaped death. Unfortunately I only got one shot and it was not that great. I went a little more artistic this dive and tried to get some creative shots. Here is a really nice Horned Shrimp. I must admit that this was inspired by a recent photo I saw posted by Mr. Lundy. I went through some extra effort to get one with a black background.

Next are a couple of really cool crabs :)

Have fun out there and safe diving!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Bucknaked and Friends

Post by Dusty2 »

Great shot on the spiny shrimp. It's really tough to get them in a way where they don't just blend in with the background.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Great shot on the spiny shrimp. It's really tough to get them in a way where they don't just blend in with the background.
Thanks Rich. It took me a few shots to get that one. BTW - the new light worked great, thank you!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Oh, I miss you guys!! Nice photos! I played around with a stubby squid once focusing, then holding focus while I shined my light away for about 10 seconds - it's amazing the difference in their eyes!
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I think it was more the other Divers than the current glad a couple of pics turned out and Les Davis wasnt a complete waste of time. :tomnic: I will post a pic of of the bulb protecter I found.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Really Nice shots... Someday I'll make it down that way...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I was plagued by can light issues most of the dive at Cove 2 - there's a short somewhere in the wiring that I need to find and fix. As a result, I spent the majority of the dive "hunting" within the beam of my camera's focus light. Not a bad thing to narrow your focus once in a while. Found several stubbies, ton's of horned shrimp and a few octo's, including one that was very tiny. I think I'm finally getting the hang of using my diopters.
Stubby basking in the glow of the red focus light.
Stubby basking in the glow of the red focus light.
Spiny Lithoid Crab 1.JPG
Flabellina or Cuthona?
Flabellina or Cuthona?
This octo was tiny! That's a brittle star in the bottom right corner.
This octo was tiny! That's a brittle star in the bottom right corner.
This was an uncropped, full-frame shot- rockin' the diopters.
This was an uncropped, full-frame shot- rockin' the diopters.
Flabellina 3.JPG
Rockfish.JPG
Flabellina 5.JPG
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

[quote="eliseaboo"]Oh, I miss you guys!! quote]
We miss diving with you too! When are you coming back? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Love the nudie pics mike. Those r lbadass
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Great pictures!
Also, this thread comes up on my phone as "Bucknaked and friends: Great nudie shots" LOL
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:Great pictures!
Also, this thread comes up on my phone as "Bucknaked and friends: Great nudie shots" LOL
At least it's not Bucknaked with friends. :rofl: