Tire Gas and Bottle Hunting Are Killing Me

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Tire Gas and Bottle Hunting Are Killing Me

Post by Tom Nic »

Did two deep dives today with Bassman, Pogiguy, and Bucknaked at Three Tree. Great viz, lots of critters, and a trinket or two.

I am exhausted.

These deep tire gas dives are killing me. :tomnic:

Heck, even Mr. Naked is diving 'trox.

And I am getting old. :rawlings:

Time to sell some aluminum cans and buy some nitrox. :calvin:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Tire Gas and Bottle Hunting Are Killing Me

Post by Jeff Pack »

I still havent found nitrox to leave me any less tired, etc on a 3 or 4 dive day. Just better bottom time and less SI. My dive buddy on our 1:10m dives winds up needing 2.5 hours of SI diving on air. I'm about to just fill her tanks so I dont have to sit around for that long... :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I noticed a big difference in how I felt at the end of the day when I switched to nitrox. Much less tired than when I dived air.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

They call it geezer gas for a reason.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Same here. felt much less tired on cold pnw dives with nitrox..

Also, i switched to argon in the suit.. nitrox is a lot colder than air imho.

and cold dives tire me too.. I know, I know.. i'm a cold water wimp.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeff - I have noticed a HUGE difference for myself, and tested it in myself multiple times. I am convinced it is not psychological. And most of my young whippersnapper dive buddies have eventually come to a similar opinion.

Even for those like yourself who do not feel the difference there still has to be SOME effect of the residual nitrogen loading that is physiological - otherwise we could chuck our computers or stop calculating deco in our N2 addled brains.

Either way, I need to throw a tank or two of enriched air into the mix for my multiple dive days. Heck I bailed after dive 2 today. A nice 100 full of 36% would have been just what the doctor ordered.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Linedog wrote:They call it geezer gas for a reason.
Yup. :rawlings:

Good suggestion on the argon Kees.

That and figure out where my suit has a slight leak. :tomnic:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

kdupreez wrote:
Thats a new one to me. (Nitrox being colder than Air)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ljjames wrote:
kdupreez wrote:
Thats a new one to me. (Nitrox being colder than Air)
Helium I would guess yes.

Nitrox I am not so sure, but argon might help in either case.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I remember noticing the difference between nitrox and air. Even though I only dived open circuit for a year and a half or so. Warm, moist ccr gas at a constant P02 really spoils you, as far as that goes.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Who you calling a geezer? LOL I dive only trox and It makes a big difference for me. It also makes me feel more relaxed in the water. :rawlings: :rawlings:

Not only for the dive but for getting back up the hill afterwards! When I find myself out of breath a few snorts off the reg and I settle right down.

Nitrox! Don't leave home without it! :tomnic:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

It also makes me feel more relaxed in the water. :rawlings: :rawlings:

Great, any more relaxed and I'll be asleep!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Tom, are you getting fills from the machine in the Arco parking lot again?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I have yet to get my geezer gas cert, now where is that book I bought? IMHO I would think that just like many other things like alcohol, drugs, etc., how Nitrox effects anyone may be different for everyone. I would only think it would become a problem if when you are diving you fall asleep from the effects. :neener: :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I switched to 32% last March after Fundies. Don't know if I feel less tired after just a dive or two in puget sound but I like being able to do quick repetitive dives and, being a single tank diver, virtually never incurring a deco obligation. Some dive shops give you good deals on Nitrox cards and make the first two fills free which helps offset the added cost.

I just did 8 dives at 8 different dive sites here in Bonaire yesterday. That was another reason to use 32%. :)
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Joshua Smith wrote:I remember noticing the difference between nitrox and air. Even though I only dived open circuit for a year and a half or so. Warm, moist ccr gas at a constant P02 really spoils you, as far as that goes.
thats a good point, all my nitrox dives have been SCR.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Only in diving would someone spend thousands on equipment drive a hundred or more miles or fly a thousand miles, Pay a hundred bucks or more for a boat ride and bitch about the cost of a tank of trox! :stir:
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I'd read some material (from DAN, maybe) that said there was no scientific research supporting the claims that one felt better/less tired/etc. after diving on Nitrox compared to air. I'm usually pretty skepitical, but all I can say is after I started diving Nitrox I called bullshit on that... maybe it's a difficult issue to measure/quantify, but whatever... IT'S TRUE. A long day of multiple dives in the cold would wipe me out. Now I'm just comfortably and happily tired. :) That's scientific, right?
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

renoun wrote:Tom, are you getting fills from the machine in the Arco parking lot again?
Don't be a hater. You know they have the best prices in town. In this economy you gotta do what you gotta do.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

+1

Even if it is only psychological. Better is better. :boxer:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Besides adding a little 02 to the mix, extending your shallow stops a couple of minutes really helps my fatigue levels when doing Tire Gas dives. 2@30, 3@20, and hang at 10 until I'm cold/low on gas/bored, then slow up. Always plenty to see in the shallows when doing shore dives anyway. Helps to really stretch a tank out too. :supz:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

People still dive on plain air?!? I used to do 2 dives on air and then need a nap. I got certified for Nitrox and never looked back.

And Tom, the Tacoma Scuba Nitrox punch card is so worth it -- only $7 a fill.
Kelly
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

i think if you switch to both nitrox and argon you will feel much less fatigued after dives.. but that obviously will come at a cost.

Like Kelly said, Tacoma Scuba has punch card that makes it about the same as air..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

or spend 4k for a compressor, 2k for a scuba shack and power, few hundred in fittings, 225$ for AVO (bottle and gas) and its all low cost after that... :)

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

thermal conductivity and heat capacity of O2 and N2 are close enough to not make any practical difference, particularly between 21% and 32%. any difference between air and nitrox as suit inflation or breathing gas is going to be placebo effect.