Tire Gas and Bottle Hunting Are Killing Me

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Tire Gas and Bottle Hunting Are Killing Me

Post by Dusty2 »

Jeff Pack wrote:or spend 4k for a compressor, 2k for a scuba shack and power, few hundred in fittings, 225$ for AVO (bottle and gas) and its all low cost after that... :)
Hmmmm, Let me see 7 grand = 1000 fills @ $7 each which would get me thru roughly 7 years ????? Which doesn't even begin to talk about upkeep, maintenance, and rebuilds! And that's a good deal??? :nutty:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

:popcorn:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dusty2 wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:or spend 4k for a compressor, 2k for a scuba shack and power, few hundred in fittings, 225$ for AVO (bottle and gas) and its all low cost after that... :)
Hmmmm, Let me see 7 grand = 1000 fills @ $7 each which would get me thru roughly 7 years ????? Which doesn't even begin to talk about upkeep, maintenance, and rebuilds! And that's a good deal??? :nutty:
Well, you have to factor in the gas for your car to take your tanks to and pick up from the shop, plus the wear on the car and insurance. And most importantly, your time whatever that's worth to you.

I can't afford a compressor and I live far from diving. But if I had the extra cash and lived where I could dive as often as I liked, I definitely would have a compressor.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
Well, you have to factor in the gas for your car to take your tanks to and pick up from the shop, plus the wear on the car and insurance. And most importantly, your time whatever that's worth to you.

I can't afford a compressor and I live far from diving. But if I had the extra cash and lived where I could dive as often as I liked, I definitely would have a compressor.
I have something far better than a compressor. A dive buddy with a compressor. :partydance:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

What I would really like is a cost effective portable compressor. We do not dive at home enough that a compressor here would help much. Since we get free air from the Dive team compressor it really sucks to have to spend money getting fills when we travel.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

lamont wrote:thermal conductivity and heat capacity of O2 and N2 are close enough to not make any practical difference, particularly between 21% and 32%. any difference between air and nitrox as suit inflation or breathing gas is going to be placebo effect.
As far as thermal difference I plead ignorance due to indifference. Undergarment and whether my suit leaks or not have the greatest influence on how warm I am! As far as physiological effect that makes a difference in how you feel... well, the following quote says it best.
lavachickie wrote:I'd read some material (from DAN, maybe) that said there was no scientific research supporting the claims that one felt better/less tired/etc. after diving on Nitrox compared to air. I'm usually pretty skepitical, but all I can say is after I started diving Nitrox I called bullshit on that... maybe it's a difficult issue to measure/quantify, but whatever... IT'S TRUE. A long day of multiple dives in the cold would wipe me out. Now I'm just comfortably and happily tired. :) That's scientific, right?
Right on Lavachickie! In terms of physiological difference (how I feel) I will second lavachickie's big BS on the idea that there is no difference. I wonder if Dan's research was in nice warm, clear, blue water? Whether some people "feel" the difference or not is immaterial to me - not everyone "feels" narced, but narcosis is real (helium, anyone?), some don't "feel" any different physiologically diving nitrox, but I remain unconvinced that something that so greatly affects your NDL's has "no effect" on your body, and thus how you "feel". The abundant anecdotal evidence is enough for me, particularly in the one study that is the most relevant - the study monitoring my old, tired body.

Perhaps if one is young, fit, has a very low body fat percentage there might be little difference between diving air and nitrox. Alas, though I am getting better I do not yet find myself in that category!
ktb wrote:And Tom, the Tacoma Scuba Nitrox punch card is so worth it -- only $7 a fill.
And thanks Kelly - I am very familiar with Tacoma Scuba's wonderful Nitrox punch card. A sweet deal! In fact I have one in my wallet. :nutty:

But their $20 unlimited airfill deal is an even better deal, and as I am cheap... well, you get the idea.

But, I am also old, so come December a nitrox card is going back into my monthly budget. But it has to be in the budget! :calvin: :joshsmith:
Nwbrewer wrote:I have something far better than a compressor. A dive buddy with a compressor. :partydance:
Oh, and Mr brewer's post is the most sensible in this thread! :taco:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Tom Nic wrote:
ktb wrote:And Tom, the Tacoma Scuba Nitrox punch card is so worth it -- only $7 a fill.
And thanks Kelly - I am very familiar with Tacoma Scuba's wonderful Nitrox punch card. A sweet deal! In fact I have one in my wallet. :nutty:
And to that, I give you your avatar. :tomnic:
Kelly
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ktb wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:
And to that, I give you your avatar. :tomnic:
Guilty as charged.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Nwbrewer wrote:Besides adding a little 02 to the mix, extending your shallow stops a couple of minutes really helps my fatigue levels when doing Tire Gas dives. 2@30, 3@20, and hang at 10 until I'm cold/low on gas/bored, then slow up. Always plenty to see in the shallows when doing shore dives anyway. Helps to really stretch a tank out too. :supz:
RIIIIIGHT...like you pay soooooo much $$$$ for air that you've got to really make it last... :smt064
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i did trox in florida last month.. the only thing i felt that was different was longer bottom times, and my nark didnt happen till i hit 110 feet to 120 feet.. i was still tired after diving , but thats because chad Made me work and load the gear like a slave boy from washington
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

And a good boy you were. Worked like a real man, instead of a .....

Your avatar seems awful blue. Would that be from one of those 120 foot dives you did in the waters here???

Your narc had always seemed to be the worst when you are on the surface!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Bauer Utilus gas powered, etc.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Tom Nic wrote:Did two deep dives today with Bassman, Pogiguy, and Bucknaked at Three Tree. Great viz, lots of critters, and a trinket or two.

I am exhausted.

These deep tire gas dives are killing me. :tomnic:

Heck, even Mr. Naked is diving 'trox.

And I am getting old. :rawlings:
:smt064
Time to sell some aluminum cans and buy some nitrox. :calvin:
Suck it up and drive on :smt064
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Dusty2 wrote:Only in diving would someone spend thousands on equipment drive a hundred or more miles or fly a thousand miles, Pay a hundred bucks or more for a boat ride and bitch about the cost of a tank of trox! :stir:
Amen :rofl:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

A poor ascent is going to make you tired regardless of gas selection. The fatigue is from poorly managed offgassing. Nitrox helps that. An ascent like Jake describes helps that. Combine the two and you should feel more rested after the dive than before. I used to do 60fpm ascents with no stop because that's what was taught in 1984. I used to be crazy tired after every dive. I thought that's just how people felt after diving. Using a proper mix and a min-deco ascent I have no post-dive fatigue at all.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dusty2 wrote:
I should have used the sarcasm font...

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

airsix wrote:A poor ascent is going to make you tired regardless of gas selection. The fatigue is from poorly managed offgassing. Nitrox helps that. An ascent like Jake describes helps that. Combine the two and you should feel more rested after the dive than before. I used to do 60fpm ascents with no stop because that's what was taught in 1984. I used to be crazy tired after every dive. I thought that's just how people felt after diving. Using a proper mix and a min-deco ascent I have no post-dive fatigue at all.

Ben
So every time I'm tired is because of a "poor ascent"? Really? Come on Ben... I will cop to that sometimes, and great advice to be sure, but respectfully, not the "cure-all".

I've still experienced fatigue with way more conservative ascents than Jake described, due in large part to my driving my dive buddies crazy by carefully taking multiple pictures of every faintly photogenic critter I can find between 100 & 10 fsw.

In any case, I really appreciate the advice! It's been a fun thread, and so, that being said, I will now: 1) Dive 'Trox, 2) Ascend even slower, 3) Do mini-deco stops along the way.

:partyman: :eric: :taco:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:I just did 8 dives at 8 different dive sites here in Bonaire yesterday. That was another reason to use 32%. :)
Dude - how did this slip by me? You are in Bon-frickin-aire?!?

While I agree with you, you do realize now that we hate you, right? :axe:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Last time I had an "undeserved" subclinical fatigue-and-feverish hit was probably with less than a hundred dives at redondo on 21%. Nearly fell asleep on the way home and curled up next to the heater on full blast with feverish chills for a few hours and slept it off. Since then I've both switched to always using either 32% or helium, but I've also gotten a lot better at ascents. Which of those two things fixed the problem?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

lamont wrote:Last time I had an "undeserved" subclinical fatigue-and-feverish hit was probably with less than a hundred dives at redondo on 21%. Nearly fell asleep on the way home and curled up next to the heater on full blast with feverish chills for a few hours and slept it off. Since then I've both switched to always using either 32% or helium, but I've also gotten a lot better at ascents. Which of those two things fixed the problem?
Yes? :)

Although I've never experienced the "feverish" part. Perhaps something else was in play as well...
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Tom Nic wrote:
Jeremy wrote:I just did 8 dives at 8 different dive sites here in Bonaire yesterday. That was another reason to use 32%. :)

If it helps any our entire truck was stolen...fortunately there was nothing in it. :(
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

bummer!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

If it helps any our entire truck was stolen...fortunately there was nothing in it. :(
Oh my... That majorly sucks... Hope you had the insurance that took care of it, although even with the right coverage you lose a day of diving chasing paperwork.

Better luck to you and your crew and hope you still have a wonderful time on my favorite little island.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

So far looks like insurance will cover it. We did everything right. Had the windows down, doors unlocked, nothing in the truck...we even asked for their worst trucks hah!

But woke up at 5:00am to find the truck was gone. It was later found in a nearby field missing the tires and battery. It had also been completely torched alongside another truck that had received similar treatment.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

When we are in Mexico and leave the windows down our friends think we are crazy....we've tried it the other way. That didn't work. Window broken and purse missing within sight of where we were walking the beach. But if they want the vehicle they will take it locked or unlocked.