I took an octo at les davis!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Clay
Avid Diver

I took an octo at les davis!

Post by Clay »

.....by accident of course! :rofl: too soon??? lol anyway A student picked up a beer can and handed it to me. Thinking I was a good role model I looked inside, didnt see anything and put it in my pocket to throw away after dive. 20 or so minutes after the dive I went to throw it away and found this lil octo in it! I carefully cut the top off the can with my shears and was able to show the 8 OW students there first octo! we then used my fin to put it back in the water. I didn't want to grab it for fear my hands would disrupt its "coating" and cause it more stress, either way it was exciting for all that saw it.
2012-11-189514.00.41.jpg
2012-11-189514.01.30.jpg
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: I took an octo at les davis!

Post by Linedog »

Very good form! :supz:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

No Touche! Good show mate! :joshsmith:
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

A couple years ago we had a similar encounter with a red inside a snorkel we found at Langley. Didn't notice till we were gearing down in the parking lot and saw it crawling out. We weren't sure how to handle it, but having heard that they liked the warmth of our hands, I put mine down next to it. To my utter surprise, it crawled right up on me. We thought that was pretty cool- an interspecies connection and all that. It connected all right- the ungrateful little bastard bit a chunk right out of my knuckle. It stung pretty good for awhile, and I kinda regret not experimenting with some calamari recipes instead of easing it back into the water.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Good thing you didn't throw it out!! Those red buggers can bite pretty good, and seem to do so more readily than GPOs. Good thing you got it back to the water!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Yay for the save!! :joshsmith:
Kelly
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nice fin!
Good save!