Cave Diving in Mexico Over Thanksgiving with the GoPro HERO3

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Re: Cave Diving in Mexico Over Thanksgiving with the GoPro H

Post by Rooinater »

Yeah, caves aren't fun, don't worry you aren't missing anything! :) That being said, i'd move to Florida or Mexico in a heart beat, currently waiting for the job in Gainesville to open back up...

Thanks again for another great video!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Rooinater wrote:Yeah, caves aren't fun, don't worry you aren't missing anything! :) That being said, i'd move to Florida or Mexico in a heart beat, currently waiting for the job in Gainesville to open back up...

Thanks again for another great video!
I agree. [sarcasm]You're not missing a thing.[/sarcasm] And, all it does is monopolize your wallet, your vacation time and your daydreams.

[sarcasm]Not worth it at all.[/sarcasm] Best to stay away
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

One more video from the trip…the Pit

The Pit is a very deep sinkhole that gets to ~360' or so. There’s a downstream passage and upstream passage at ~35', however, and they are gorgeous.

We had last done it in early 2011 and it took quite a bit of effort to get to it, requiring the usual drive over less-than-smooth terrain to a small pull out. From there, you’d meet a sherpa who would load his ATV with your tanks and haul those in while you hiked your other gear in ~10 minutes or so, usually requiring at least 2 trips.

Once your gear was assembled, you’d lower it down into the pool 25’ below via a pulley system. You’d then hike down some rather precarious steps, jump in the pool, and don your gear at the surface.

At the end of the dive, you’d remove your gear on the surface, hike up the steps and lift your gear out using the pulley, and repeat, if you’re doing a second dive. At the end of the day, you'd hike everything back out while the sherpa hauled everything out on the ATV.

All that effort was very much worth it, as the reward was some very beautiful, highly decorated white cave. It did make for a very long and late day, however.

We’d heard that the road had been extended all the way to the cenote recently, and stairs were added. We had done the Downstream passage to the Crossroads our trip prior, and that was ridiculously gorgeous, and enjoyed the Upstream passage as well. This immediately became one of Jeanna's favorites, so we thought it’d be a great dive to show Austin, and we also wanted to see the new “amenities “.

Indeed the road had been smoothed and went all the way to the cenote. From there, there were very nice, albeit steep, newly added stairs leading down to the pool. You could hike your tanks down the stairs, but there was a local there so we paid him a few pesos to lower the gear down to us.

We ended up doing two gorgeous dives….one to Crossroads and a second dive Upstream, after taking a very nasty, silty jump in the downstream section (a “let’s not do that again” from this trip).

Most of this video is from the Crossroads area, but there’s a bit from Upstream as well.

Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/59857054

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Awesome Video!!!
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

You had ATV's ? I had to walk !
And Stairs ??? Are you sure you're at the right Cenote ?
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

lundysd wrote:Awesome Video!!!
Thanks, dude!
limeyx wrote:You had ATV's ? I had to walk !
That's because you were the ATV on that trip!

johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Bdub,
Truly amazing videos.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

johndo88 wrote:Bdub,
Truly amazing videos.
Thanks Johndo