Wreck of the Dreamscape

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Wreck of the Dreamscape

Post by BDub »

This past weekend we joined CaptnJack on the wreck of the Dreamscape that he and Scott Boyd located in Dyes Inlet in March 2012.

It's a surprisingly large wreck at ~130' long, given its shallow depth.

For an obviously scuttled wreck, it's got a lot of character!

The original shaft hole is enormous, but it has been welded shut. Instead, there's a small shaft alongside the main, larger shaft. It still has a small diesel engine and a winch which are quite interesting, though not nearly as "interesting" as the rudder (I use that term loosely).

The interior of the hull is fairly open, allowing for penetration by those trained in doing such. Though fairly open, it has the wires, cables, hoses and other potential snags that one would expect in a wreck, along with a lot of silt.

Scott has a good write-up on his website - Dreamscape

I think the biggest, most welcomed surprise of the day was the visibility. Even with the good vis we've been having, I wasn't super hopeful for good vis in Dyes Inlet, but we were pleasantly surprised with 20'ish feet or so.

The good vis allowed me to get a bit of video of the wreck.

Thanks Richard, and great find, guys!

http://vimeo.com/56558461
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Re: Wreck of the Dreamscape

Post by Paulicarp »

very cool- glad you had good viz!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Nice vid, thanks for sharing :)

When we dove it not long after it sank, the vis was like diving in whole milk, combined with side of chalk and dash of clay... Long ass swim only to be greeted by milk to dive in. Plus it was so new there was only a dusting of silt on it and one small lingcod. Nice to see that it is getting some color and a bit of good vis from time to time!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:Nice vid, thanks for sharing :)

When we dove it not long after it sank, the vis was like diving in whole milk, combined with side of chalk and dash of clay... Long ass swim only to be greeted by milk to dive in. Plus it was so new there was only a dusting of silt on it and one small lingcod. Nice to see that it is getting some color and a bit of good vis from time to time!
Must be fun to stroll down memory lane and see how the Governor, the Bunker Hill, the Admiral Sampson, and the Dreamscape look today compared to when you dove them.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Is this a boat or shore dive?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwcid wrote:Is this a boat or shore dive?
Boat.
There's no public access near here.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Judging from the life present I'd say she must be pretty shallow. To bad she's not out in open water where life would build faster. good timing guys. Good viz in an area like that is really rare! Not likely you'll get another chance to get a video that good.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Nice cheap shot Richard.

If i'm lucky enough, hopefully before i'm too ancient will get a chance to go back and visit at least a couple of the deeper wrecks and get a bit of video of them and raise a glass to my 20 year old self. The back isn't what it used to be though, so i guess i'm back to being a noob and re-learning on the CCR and being patient and building up to it slowly.

(though not for the Dreamscape, thanks, once was enough - I'll enjoy that vicariously through BDub's excellent video)
CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:Nice vid, thanks for sharing :)

Must be fun to stroll down memory lane and see how the Governor, the Bunker Hill, the Admiral Sampson, and the Dreamscape look today compared to when you dove them.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey Laura, Just look my way and you'll feel way younger! Your just a kid. You've got lots of spring back yet. :funky:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Nicely done BDub!!!

And nice find Richard and Scott!! looks like an awesome dive!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Great video, Brian!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:Nicely done BDub!!!

And nice find Richard and Scott!! looks like an awesome dive!!
Its a good second dive after something like Waterman's. I expect it'll be in the 2nd Edition of Scott's book, whenever that might come out.