Three Tree Point N. 02/06/13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Three Tree Point N. 02/06/13

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Good conditions this evening. Milky in the first 15 feet and then opened up horizontally below that, probably about 15 ft of viz. Not a whole lot out. Dozens of Kelp Crab at the tire reef, a little Red Octo poking its head out of a clam shell home, a Sailfin Sculpin at the trailer. We did see a new bowling ball sculpture. I'm not sure who put it down there. It was the sparsest I've seen at TTP in a while.

We did find three SPLs all hanging out around each other. I got some footage of the largest one that had a beautiful red color to it:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/QwilToIAxEI[/youtube]

I love'em so much.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Three Tree Point N. 02/06/13

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Nice video!

Where is the bowling ball structure now? On Saturday, it was in 3 feet of water. I tripped over it walking backwards in the water towards the house with the antlers. When I recovered, all I could see was a big black shape with two Smurf-blue things. I about damn near had a flipping heart attack as I thought it was a diver....dead....laying there....with his/her drygloves on. After I scrambled to get my mask on to take a look, I could see that that it was bowling balls tied together, mostly black with a couple of Smurf-blue ones. But, really, before that, it looked like a dead diver. So, to whomever laid them there, you got me. Good.
Jenn
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Yikes!!!
"Let's go diving!"
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Nice video!

Where is the bowling ball structure now? On Saturday, it was in 3 feet of water. I tripped over it walking backwards in the water towards the house with the antlers. When I recovered, all I could see was a big black shape with two Smurf-blue things. I about damn near had a flipping heart attack as I thought it was a diver....dead....laying there....with his/her drygloves on. After I scrambled to get my mask on to take a look, I could see that that it was bowling balls tied together, mostly black with a couple of Smurf-blue ones. But, really, before that, it looked like a dead diver. So, to whomever laid them there, you got me. Good.
Wow! Well, it was a super low yesterday, and I remember we ran into around 35ft, so probably more like 40-45ft.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Nice! Did you set the camera down on something to keep it that steady, or do you just have unnaturally steady hands?
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

fnerg wrote:Nice! Did you set the camera down on something to keep it that steady, or do you just have unnaturally steady hands?
I wish I had hands that steady! No, this was a 5D MKIII with 100mm macro lens inside of an Aquatica housing with Sola 4000s. The housing is mounted on a XIT404 tripod mount and I attach legs to the tripod mount. So these shots are with the rig sitting on the bottom. The rigs looks like this:

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Goodness, Now thats a serious rig! Do you have detachable wheels to get it to the water. :popcorn:

No wonder that video is so sharp! :notworthy:
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

Wow that's some rig. I have rig envy! Love the PSL video!
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"