Keystone Jetty

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Keystone Jetty

Post by KeithBoll »

With a lower exchange today and favorable currents, Duncan and I headed up to the Keystone Jetty Ferry. We met up with Dale (Deep Diver) and Bob for two excellent dives. Turns out - a lot of divers had the same idea: I have never seen so many divers and cars at Keystone! Fortunately - the divers were not beginner classes - so viz was really good today: 20 to 30 feet. The sun was shining and we had a blast.

On the first dive (right at slack) - we went on the jetty and were able to round the point to the other side. Duncan and I kept 10 to 20 feet of the sea floor - examing the rocks and barnacles (which were packed with life). We found what I think was a baby mosshead warbonnet in a barnacle. (Guys - let me know if this is correct - or if I need another fish id lesson.) Dale and Bob searched the crevices at the bottom and found several GPOs. For the second dive, we started at the pilings with a mile .8 knot current. We made our way (slowly) through the pilings - lots of life - lots of small sculpins and thousands of hermit crabs. Then we traveled the rope guide back to the jetty and Duncan and I searched crevices and cracks and found one of the GPOs.

Duncan just got a dry suit and was glad to not turn into an ice cube during the two dives. You wouldn't know that this was Duncan's second and third dive with a dry suit - he handled himself extremely well.
Attachments
Is this a baby Mosshead Warbonnett or something else? Please let me know!
Is this a baby Mosshead Warbonnett or something else? Please let me know!
Possible Warbonnett in Hole.jpg
Barnacle Close Up.jpg
Cown Nudi Close Up.jpg
Feather Duster on Piling.jpg
Hermit Crab.jpg
Climbing Nudi.jpg
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: Keystone Jetty

Post by deep diver »

Yep... that's a baby warbonnet! great to see you there, haven't taken my camera out of the box yet as I'm diving the canal tomorrow.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice work, yes it's a mosshead but not a baby. At least a teen. the babies look a lot different.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Nice catch on the mossheaded warbonnet, and that last nudibranch picture is very nice, too! Keystone is such a fantastic dive -- just never disappoints.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Here are a couple of more pictures of Saturday at Keystone. As you can see the day started out beautiful from PT ferry dock. Here is the picture of the octopus Keith is talking about. There were lots of these smiling hermit crabs everywhere
Attachments
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

woa, nice pics!! is this last sunset shot altered of did it for reals look like that?? pretty awesome either way :notworthy:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Thanks, Really looked that way, no adjustment.... standing on the dock in Port Townsend looking towards Keystone, it was just beautiful that morning.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Very nice!!! I was at Keystone on Sunday poking around the pilings... Spent about an hour under there since there wasn't enough current to run the line down to the jetty, had a great time till I started to get cold even in my drysuit... Great day for diving and really nice vis... Here's a couple shots from the pilings...

First little GPO
First little GPO
2nd Little GPO
2nd Little GPO
Nice vis
Nice vis
Tubeworms001.jpg
Not sure what kind it is, but it's cool...
Not sure what kind it is, but it's cool...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

deep diver wrote:Thanks, Really looked that way, no adjustment.... standing on the dock in Port Townsend looking towards Keystone, it was just beautiful that morning.
I now have a new desktop background! cheers! :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

I now have a new desktop background! cheers! :)[/quote]

I'm honored