Alki Reef

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Alki Reef

Post by H20doctor »

i was very happy to get a chance to head out to Alki sunday to meet up with Bdub, capt Jack, and Jeanna.. The plan was to scooter to alki Reef.. this was my first time there and i have always wanted to scooter here.. we splashed at about 215 pm and hit the trigger, the viz in the shallows was very nice 20 feet and better.. the bottom has diff aspects to it, part were sandy and othertimes eel grass... then rocky... as we came up on the reef it opened up to a large garden of sea pens, i have never seen this many sea pens before and this was a first for me.. large orange flowers coming out of the sand , with the sun light filters trickling down on them... brilliant orange in color and swaying back and forth in the gentle current... as we hit the reef there were lots of plumose anamonies on the rocks, starfish, black rocks and other fishies... we all explored the rocks and soon it was time to head back as i hit my turn pressure... on the way back we got to kick it high gear and zip back to shore..
I want to say a big thanks to Capt Jack for the invite , and a big thanks to Bdub and Jeanna for being such a fun group of divers ...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/9o6NxmCATY8[/youtube]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Alki Reef

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice Chris. Glad we got you out there, that was fun yesterday. Btw Jeanna' screen name here is "Edge"
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

"... i do not want a scooter, i do not want a scooter, I DO NOT WANT A SCOOTER!"

dang it, that's not working...

Looks like a fun dive!
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

thefeve wrote:"... i do not want a scooter, i do not want a scooter, I DO NOT WANT A SCOOTER!"

Looks like a fun dive!
Its also a boat dive BTW. Although without a scooter you are restricted to visiting about two of the rock piles. There are roughly 9 piles total, its a little hard to tell where a few piles end vs the next starts. Max depth is about 70ft. On a scooter its a high tide only kind of dive. As a boat dive its do-able almost anytime. South winds make the scooter entry hazardous, its a bit less weather dependent as a boat dive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Love the description, Chris!

A few years ago, I had a friend from Monterey come up, and we took him scootering out there. We were on a mission to get to the reef, and at the end of the dive, Ben said, "Wow -- did you see all those sea pens, and the crabs and the nudibranchs? Sure wish we had gone a little slower through that part." Taught me a good lesson about what we see and what we dismiss.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

thefeve wrote:"... i do not want a scooter, i do not want a scooter, I DO NOT WANT A SCOOTER!"

Looks like a fun dive!
Here on the board we call it Crack... It took me 4 yrs to get mine, now I want something faster..
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

When I walked out of Dive X with my Sierra, I looked around and Ben was watching. I pointed and said "I know what you are thinking Ben! There goes a future Cuda owner".
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote: Here on the board we call it Crack... It took me 4 yrs to get mine, now I want something faster..
That's because you heard my cackling as I flew by you with my mask half full of water! :taco:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

CaptnJack wrote:
H20doctor wrote: Here on the board we call it Crack... It took me 4 yrs to get mine, now I want something faster..
That's because you heard my cackling as I flew by you with my mask half full of water! :taco:
yr new scoot is FAST.. !! I want ..
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Glad you were able to go, Chris. That was a lot of fun!

It'd been a while since I'd dived there. I really love that dive.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Love the video!

I really need to do this dive sometime. Looks like a blast.
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Thanks for sharing, I forgot about that dive, did it in 1996! Might have to scooter out there sometime!
:taco:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great dive report, great video - looks like fun!

Diving = flying.

Scooter = add propeller.

I finally get it.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwinslow1
Avid Diver

Post by dwinslow1 »

Nice video, hope to do the dive sometime. :pirate:
Don W.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

NICE Vid Chris!!

Great dive and looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love the sea pens on the way out/in! its really really a cool dive, one of my faves!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White