Belated Bonaire Trip Report

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Belated Bonaire Trip Report

Post by Gdog »

Mrs Gdog and I made our first trip to Bonaire, Feb 28-March 10. We decided to stay at the Dive Hut for our first trip, and then check out the Island and plan from there where to stay next. Actually, the Dive Hut wasnt too bad, just very basic. As seems to be the case island wide, most of the people staying there were Dutch, with a few from the US, and other parts of the world. They serve a basic breakfast if you want it, and a BBQ on Thursday nights which Roland the owner hosts on his BBQ grill. The food was ok, and it was fun mingling with other divers. Rooms are very basic; a 4 burner hot plate for cooking, a small frig, basic utensils; sometimes hot water, sometimes only warm; a separate dive gear building that Wannadive stocks with air and nitrox tanks. The owners are very friendly and enjoy conversing as does the help. The Dive Hut coordinated our air package and our vehicle rental. The rental was from Island Rentals, and the truck was in good condition. With Wannadive, we had 3 locations to pick up tanks whenever we wanted.
Got some photos with my old Olympus 5060, but towards the end of the trip I had to give it last rites as it reached the end of its long life. I will post some of what I did get with it.
Red Slave in the late afternoon
Red Slave in the late afternoon
Very nice southern dive site
Very nice southern dive site
Blue Striped Grunt posing
Blue Striped Grunt posing
Me posing
Me posing
Friendly French Angelfish
Friendly French Angelfish
Went down on the Hooker!
Went down on the Hooker!
I think this is a Snake Eel?
I think this is a Snake Eel?
Blue Lettuce Slug
Blue Lettuce Slug
Thats the best of what I have for now, I have a couple more days of photos left to go thru. We got in 23 dives, averaging about 3 a day. Favorite dive site? Karpata, no question. We both preferred the northern sites to the southern ones. Midway thru the stay, I decided to leave the camera in the room while we dove with new friends. Of course, that is when we spotted a big seahorse by the anchor block on Karpata. The next day, armed with camera, Mrs Gdog and I spent 1 hour and 20 minutes searching for that bugger. Gone! Seahorses seem to be my holy grail photo-wise.
We did a night dive at Bari Reef, and spent the last 20 minutes of the dive being buzzed by 5 Tarpon that were using our dive lights to nail small fish. They are fast and aggressive. They would approach head on right up to your face then turn, come beside you, under you, over you. Kinda like being toyed with by the harbor seals up here. I could see Mrs Gdog wasnt really enjoying them, so we headed in and they followed us right to the waters edge.
We didnt get to dive all the sites we wanted, and we didnt get to dive any at Klein. But we did find some cool places to stay next trip, and we learned our way around.
Special thanks to ktb, Kelly, your info was appreciated and invaluable for our trip. Kdupreez, the Kindle Fire came in so handy on the long flight! I owe you several cold ones!
Ok Jesse, theres my report. If I have any other pics worth posting, I will.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Belated Bonaire Trip Report

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very nice, brings back wonderful memories. Your angel fish pic is really nice. Great write up and pics!

Btw- I was thinking about hitting sund on Sunday. You have plans for the hood canal this weekend?
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Actually, Im testing that with the wife right now! What time are you thinking?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Actually, Im testing that with the wife right now! What time are you thinking?
Around 9-10 am.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Very nice pics!

I will read more in detail later....

Glad Scubie guilted you into writing a report!!! :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ran across a couple more pics that I liked...
Cornetfish Hiding in the Soft Coral
Cornetfish Hiding in the Soft Coral
Nice Seafans at Karpata Entry
Nice Seafans at Karpata Entry
Turtle on Karpata
Turtle on Karpata
Got bored with me
Got bored with me
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I love the drift from La Dania's leap to Karpata...truly epic underwater scenery!

Nice pics!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jeremy wrote:I love the drift from La Dania's leap to Karpata...truly epic underwater scenery!

Nice pics!
That is no joke Jeremy. We slung an extra 80 on that dive and extended our bottom time to 90+ minutes. The wall is amazing!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

We had virtually no current at all most of the time there. A small current at red slave, and at playa Franz. Otherwise , none.
ZSAOLY
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ZSAOLY »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Jeremy wrote:I love the drift from La Dania's leap to Karpata...truly epic underwater scenery!

Nice pics!
That is no joke Jeremy. We slung an extra 80 on that dive and extended our bottom time to 90+ minutes. The wall is amazing!
Dang now I want to go back, that was one of my fav's :supz:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip!
Kelly
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Great report!