Alki Cove 1/2 4/13/13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
sarinae
Aquaphile

Alki Cove 1/2 4/13/13

Post by sarinae »

Coulterboy and jimothy met me up at Cove 1 for a nice first dive around 1pm. Able to get about an hour, we cruised the east side of the cove in front of Salty's and found some neat bottles and debris. Viz was fairly good 20-30 ft for the first dive, no precip made for a good time getting geared up too. Jimothy is great at finding those little baby gpos, saw crab and shrimp, of course, and a few rockfish.

Jeffgerritsen met us at 3:30 for a 4pm dive that was very nice too. It was fun to see his rebreather set up and learn all about that. Current was moving in at this point, viz had dropped but we still enjoyed a fun time poking around the area between coves 1 and 2. Viz around 15-20 ft with a fair amount of sea snow as we were in the area in front of the rocks separating the coves. On the way home I saw a significant amount of snow or hail accumulated on the side of the freeway north of downtown, so perhaps the storm decided to dump on us as we were at this point, stirring up some things. Jimothy nearly put a hand in a giant rockfish mouth by accident, he was a big guy for this area. Wow! Found some giant sea cucumbers. Had to actually grab one and make sure I wasn't overestimating size due to underwater distortion. Didn't know they came that large! Found some cool bottles and other debris, missed seeing the Honey Bear, I think we scooted around it and missed it due to the low viz.

Headed out today to Cove 2 with Magoi and his wife, hope it is improved. Always something fun to see, even when viz is low.