Epic diving at Possession Point Fingers

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Epic diving at Possession Point Fingers

Post by Jeremy »

Wow, chalk one up for North Sound diving!

Met up with Mateo, H20Doc, Don Showalter, and dwinslow for an attempt at shore diving the fingers. After initially pulling into the wrong park we figured out where the state park was. The road down to the ranger house was barricaded but the chain slips off. So we drove down and knocked on the door...nobody home. We staged our gear at the picnic table, drove back up the hill, and replaced the gate. Donning our gear at the bottom of the hill ... It was time to dive!

Splashing in front of the cliff to the south of the house, the slope rapidly drops until you hit sheer cliffs and ravines. We quickly dropped to about 85 fsw and headed south. WOW!! The structure here is unbelievable! Canyon after canyon after cliff....finally hit a corner, look beyond it...and it just continues! And gets better!! Soon we hit a school of hundreds of rockfish all around us.

I have not seen structure this compelling since Karpata...and it's right in my backyard!

After the dive we ran into a group of divers (one of whom puts on the expo) who said the site is basically not current sensitive. In fact, they never check the tides when diving here. Plus we found out that our method of staging and parking is exactly what you're supposed to do.

In short....epic shore diving!! Better than DIW. I will be going back frequently and soon. :)

Hope you do too.
Last edited by Jeremy on Sat May 18, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexitt
Submariner

Re: Epic diving at Possession Point Fingers

Post by Alexitt »

Pretty cool isn't it... Bit of a hike up and down the hill to the parking area but TOTALLY worth the effort... Glad you guys had fun!!!
Wish I could've made it but had to work, getting ready for Memorial Day is our busiest time of the year... :angry:
Keystone tomorrow though... :eric:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Just to let you know, I've been caught in horrendous current there -- although the worst of it was at the top of the wall.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

LCF wrote:Just to let you know, I've been caught in horrendous current there -- although the worst of it was at the top of the wall.
The "PPF River" perhaps....
:)
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Yes that was some epic terrain and the viz was above average for sure today! Can't wait to do it again. I could see where a strong North or South wind could generate some current in the shallows.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Mateo1147 wrote:Yes that was some epic terrain and the viz was above average for sure today! Can't wait to do it again. I could see where a strong North or South wind could generate some current in the shallows.
Worst case scenario...a strong south surface current blowing you away from shore.

On the bright side...it would be blowing you toward the Possession Point ferry! Might as well take a look... :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

That sounds like an awesome dive. I have done Karpata and if this doesn't equal, I'll come find you :-)

Any videos or pics?????
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Scubie Doo wrote:That sounds like an awesome dive. I have done Karpata and if this doesn't equal, I'll come find you :-)

Any videos or pics?????
H20Doc took video...stay tuned :)
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Dammit, you're making me jealous. Wish I coulda joined you guys today. Glad it was fun though! PM me Jeremy if you wanna get another one on the calendar
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jeremy wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:That sounds like an awesome dive. I have done Karpata and if this doesn't equal, I'll come find you :-)

Any videos or pics?????
H20Doc took video...stay tuned :)
Nice! I figured he would deliver the goods.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well my video mount broke on my go pro, which is on the front of my dive X scooter... the result was shaky video.. so i couldnt use most of my footage.. so this is what I was able to salvage out of the dive.. what I didnt capture was the Massive structure here , of clay and rock walls that drop into the deep.. and massive viz .. great dive with good friends , lets do it again

[youtube]http://youtu.be/FsulvkjK18I[/youtube]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Too cool. That looks like a great dive.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Great video!!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Love that vid Chris!!

I hope that Adrian guy didnt attempt to drown y'all again ;)

looks like you guys had fun!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue and I had current at the top of the wall that speed 5 on a sierra required additional kicking to overcome.....

That being said, it was only once we passed 20' or so on our way home. Current for the rest of the dives was negligible.

I love the fingers. Good to know it can be easily done from shore. An MMM West perhaps?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

That is definitely one to put on the books for future dives. Thanks for posting the read and video guys. My wife and I enjoyed reading this thread and watching the video.

Dave
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Still haven't done this site.

Doc's video was awesome.

Conditions looked wonderful.

Great report!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Great video, looks like you had good vis. Just a reminder about the access to the shore dive. I posted this on dive planning just in case.
I would like to pass this to all fellow divers who like to dive the Fingers from the shore.
The rule did not change, we are still required to call the park ranger 24 hours before
we plan to dive there. We had some difficulties with access to the beach via the
"Authorized Vehicles Only" in the past and we negotiated with the park service that
we will call 24 hours prior the dive to ask for permission to drive down, unload and
then park up in the parking lot. I was reminded of it today (May 20, 2013) although I did
not dive there. Kevin, the park ranger who lives there, but works also in the South Whidbey
State Park is a very nice guy and I would like to keep him happy, for I love that place too
and it is a long haul for my old bones to carry gear down when I return to diving again.
So please, lets not abuse the good will and call him before you plan to dive there.
Thank you.
360 929 3191 at least 24 hours prior to dive.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jan - I'm curious about these rules?

If a random few divers decided to go dive possession point fingers, where/how are they informed about having to call someone and where would they get the number and does the ranger check permits or something?

I.e., Where are there rules and the contact person details and phone number published?

Never dove this site and I'm genuinely curious how this is disseminated to the diving world?

Its kinda like the Lake Crescent dives, there are no signs or anything, but everyone somehow just seems to know you are supposed to get a permit?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

All good questions.
I don't know the details of the deal, I was only involved in the beginning of the whole mess about access to the shore few years back. We were told that it is closed to divers, period. So we contacted the Washington Scuba Alliance and they got involved with the state bureaucracy and came out with the compromise. Janna knows more about it, I decided that instead of trying to call and go thought all this, once the access to the beach was secured, I purchased a dock cart and hauled my gear down the road to the picnic tables without problems. As I recall, it all has to do with fishermen, parking limitations down at the beach and that the road is too narrow for two cars to pass and also that the road is affected by land slides. But as I said, I am not behind these rules, all I wish for, is that I was told yesterday to post the phone number.
Somewhere on this forum, there might still be posts discussing all this.
As for signs, it is even hard to find the park. But there is sign at the gate "Authorized Vehicles Only" and that is hard to argue with. I don't want to start war of words and ideas as it is already happening around the octopus issue ...
Enjoy the Fingers, I still can't...
:partyman:

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

kdupreez wrote:Jan - I'm curious about these rules?

If a random few divers decided to go dive possession point fingers, where/how are they informed about having to call someone and where would they get the number and does the ranger check permits or something?

I.e., Where are there rules and the contact person details and phone number published?

Never dove this site and I'm genuinely curious how this is disseminated to the diving world?

Its kinda like the Lake Crescent dives, there are no signs or anything, but everyone somehow just seems to know you are supposed to get a permit?
I don't think the issue is with diving there or a permit being required, (When I did it from shore we scootered from the boat launch to the north) it's that if you want to use the service road to move your gear closer to the entry point, you need to call ahead and ask permission. Most state parks have roads designated for service vehicles that the public is not allowed to use. In this case it seems that the ranger is being rather accommodating by letting divers call ahead and get permission to use the service road to save their backs a bit.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Nwbrewer wrote:
I don't think the issue is with diving there or a permit being required, (When I did it from shore we scootered from the boat launch to the north) it's that if you want to use the service road to move your gear closer to the entry point, you need to call ahead and ask permission. Most state parks have roads designated for service vehicles that the public is not allowed to use. In this case it seems that the ranger is being rather accommodating by letting divers call ahead and get permission to use the service road to save their backs a bit.
You said it better than I did. Thanks

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Aha! That makes total sense (light bulb goes from dim to bright..)

Its less a scuba diving issue and more a land/road use issue to get your gear closer.

And you are totally right a "Authorized Vehicles Only" is hard to argue with and if they allow us to use that road with a courtesy call ahead, thats actually pretty nice of them.

Good info to have and thanks all for clarifying.

*BTW - this might be some fantastic info to add to the dive sites listings section?
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

kdupreez wrote:Aha! That makes total sense (light bulb goes from dim to bright..)

Its less a scuba diving issue and more a land/road use issue to get your gear closer.

And you are totally right a "Authorized Vehicles Only" is hard to argue with and if they allow us to use that road with a courtesy call ahead, thats actually pretty nice of them.

Good info to have and thanks all for clarifying.

*BTW - this might be some fantastic info to add to the dive sites listings section?
Couldn't agree more. I have not checked the listing myself, so I will just assume Koos checked before making that post! If that info is not there however, it should be added if possible. Thanks Jan and Jake for the info!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Nwbrewer wrote: An MMM West perhaps?

Now you're talking! :)