Keystone Jetty 5.19.2012

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Keystone Jetty 5.19.2012

Post by Paladin4Christ »

With the currents pretty slow/non-existant I decided to hit Keystone today to log my 100th dive.

My wife decided to go with and read her book while I dove the pilings and then followed the rope line to the Jetty. I'm very glad she decided to come with. When I descended at the pilings it was 8:25 there were approximately 5 cars in the lot. When I surfaced just short of an hour later the lot was packed. I don't mean every spot filled...I mean cars 3 and 4 deep, by the picnic tables and about 2/3rds of the "trailer only" parking was full. I would say easily 75 cars! My wife had to let people know NOT to block us in because we were going to leave soon or we would have been blocked in for the duration. I have never seen this much neoprene at Keystone!

The dive was awesome, with viz at about 30', when I entered and only a slight current. I'm sure it got mucked up pretty good when the hords (I jest) entered the water. I don't take pictures but todays dives almost made me want to; I definitely think a GoPro is in my future. I saw a lumpie for the first time and what I think was a small Sailfin Sculpin. (I'm not 100% on the identification because it was green and only about 1.5" long. I'd love some input from some of the experts if this is not a probable identification.) These two finds along with the usual suspects...just a plain good dive.

Then the mad rush to get gear stowed and then, while I changed out of the dry suit, my wife moved the truck. When she pulled out, the whole line instantly filled with 3 more cars.

All in all, I would say the 100th dive was pretty darn good!

On a side note, one of the vehicles belonged to a pair of fisherman, who heard there were tons of lings on the opposite side of the Jetty from the Ferry. I did educate them on the underwater park and they were sorely disappointed. They were gone when I surfaced.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Keystone Jetty 5.19.2012

Post by dwashbur »

Congrats on joining the 100 club!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Congrats on the 100th...I was there as well today...and yes there were tons of people there today. Was a fun day of diving!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

You can't generally go by color but I don't think I've ever seen a green Sailfin Sculpin. Can you describe what it looked like a little better and maybe we can ID it for you?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

WylerBear wrote:You can't generally go by color but I don't think I've ever seen a green Sailfin Sculpin. Can you describe what it looked like a little better and maybe we can ID it for you?
I'll do my best. It was about an inch and a half long. The body had the characteristics of a tidepool sculpin and, just behind it's head there was a fin growth much like a Sailfin Sculpin. This "fin" ended much like the sailfin and was followed up with a "fin" that went to the tail. When I shined my light on it, it was a greenish tone. I actually thought it looked almost a seafoam green because the color instantly reminded me of bad bridesmaids gowns. (Seriously, I don't know why I thought this since the last thing on my mind is weddings, let alone color schemes.) When I spotted it, it was hanging out on a piece of bull kelp and when I got closer and put my light on it, it didn't move.

That is the best I can do with the description. I wish I had a picture since it was so pretty and it would make identification much easier.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Hanging out in kelp, tall first dorsal- sounds like you may have seen a small silverspotted sculpin.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I met someone from the board at Keystone yesterday.....you showed me one of your photo books...I know you told me your handle here and totally forgot. Thanks for sharing the pics....was good to meet :)
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Greg Jensen wrote:Hanging out in kelp, tall first dorsal- sounds like you may have seen a small silverspotted sculpin.
That is it!!! Thank you for your help.

Is there a better book, place to look, etc, than Welks to Whales? Perhaps the better question is where is a better place to look things us. I'm finding out that Welks to Whales is pretty anemic in content.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

FYI, the ferry side of the jetty is not protected and can be fished. However you risk getting a ticket due to ferry traffic.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

WaGigKpn wrote:FYI, the ferry side of the jetty is not protected and can be fished. However you risk getting a ticket due to ferry traffic.
I told them they could fish on the ferry side but they only wanted to fish on the underwater park side. According to their friend, it has the best fishing ever. :eek:

I thought I expressed this but thank you for clarifying, if I wasn't clear. :)
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Thanks for setting them straight. I dont know how they could be confused...there is a big sign detailing exactly what the boundaries are for the protected area!
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

WaGigKpn wrote:Thanks for setting them straight. I dont know how they could be confused...there is a big sign detailing exactly what the boundaries are for the protected area!
They were not locals and according to what they told me, had just been stationed at NAS Whidbey. From the reaction I got from them, I think they honestly didn't know. They left almost immediately after I showed them the signage. I'm sure their "Buddy" got an earful back at work on Monday.

It sure would have sucked to get caught fishing in the park.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:I met someone from the board at Keystone yesterday.....you showed me one of your photo books...I know you told me your handle here and totally forgot. Thanks for sharing the pics....was good to meet :)
I think that was me... I carry one of my little picture books around with me for when folks ask "What do you see down there?" as non-divers are prone to do... Yeah, it was quite a madhouse for parking and such but it was a really nice day for diving, eating and just plain socializing... Paladin Congrats on #100, I did my 100 there as well and got it topped off by having a big pod of orca swim past afterward... Pretty cool... Keystone is still one of my favorite sites, just get there early on a weekend with good tides...

Folks on shore said they'd been going by for about 10 min. or so by the time I got out...
Folks on shore said they'd been going by for about 10 min. or so by the time I got out...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Since no one has answered This is one of the best fish guides for the lay person.
http://www.amazon.com/Coastal-Fishes-Pa ... 0920080758

This is the best all around guide if you can find a copy. It's out of print but there are still copies around. Plus it makes a great coffee table book
http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Life-Pacif ... pd_sim_b_2