I got certified this weekend at Les Davis! :D

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tess
Avid Diver

I got certified this weekend at Les Davis! :D

Post by Tess »

... YAAAAAY! After over a month of talking about, learning about, thinking about, and being excited about diving, I got certified! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: I need a whole team of cheerleaders for this one.

So, uh, I feel weird making a post about this because I have no idea what I'm talking about yet. Like, I can't comment on the visibility, or name hardly any of the critters I saw, or rate the experience overall as a diver, because these were my first dives ever. :P But it's been great! The thing is, I'm a home body. I haven't had an outdoor hobby or really any reason to leave the house in like more than 6 years. I used to play video games all day. So I thought to pick up diving because I wanted to break that habit and get out of my comfort zone a bit and actually leave my cave.

And out of my comfort zone I was! Oh boy... I had to quickly abandon the notion that I could afford to be highly sensitive to any kind of discomfort. Tight clothing, heavy stuff on me, not being able to move my fingers with perfect precision, having messy hair, the taste of salt water (eeewww), not being able to breathe through my nose... I'd never have imagined myself having a good time in those conditions. And yet I did! I got used to it fairly quickly, especially for me.

As for the actual dives, the first three were mainly drills and making sure we knew how to do all the skills we'd learned. I am glad to be done with the traumatic mask drills. :D On the fourth dive, we were able to go out and explore for real. We got down to about 38 feet. And I saw... THINGS! I don't think I saw any fish. I was too focused on trying to not bounce so much. Buoyancy is haaard. But there were lots of big sea stars that looked really fuzzy and I wanted to touch them but I was afraid I'd hurt them. Ooh, and anemones! I reached out to touch one and it CURLED IN. Like a flower that MOVES. Amazing. O_O Oh, and decorator crabs!! On the fourth dive I didn't see any 'cause they are hard to see, but during the first three dives, any time we were stationary I would look for them on the floor. And I found a few and got to hold them. They are strange, but delightful. :luv: There were also non-decorator crabs that were less sociable. I would reach my hand out to interact with them, and they'd shoot sideways. Do I look like an octopus or something? ALSO there was a massive tire. Who just loses a tire underwater? I have no idea how these things get there. But it was upright and looked like it meant business.

... But mostly I was doing this: :bounceline: and trying to make as little contact with the sea floor as possible for fear of crushing something to death. But yes! That's the beginning of... uh, of this. All this. I get the sense that diving is going to redefine how I spend the next several years of my life. :P I really want to pursue this. I don't really have a specific goal in mind right now...? Just having fun and seeing all there is to see! And step one is through! Woohoo!! I hope I can dive with all of you sometime!
GearHead
Submariner

Re: I got certified this weekend at Les Davis! :D

Post by GearHead »

Way to go! The rest comes with practice... Lots of practice!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Great news Tess. Did you work with Mr. Carlson on the certification? It will definitely impact your life :-) See you out and about.

Jesse
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Tess wrote:... YAAAAAY! After over a month of talking about, learning about, thinking about, and being excited about diving, I got certified! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: I need a whole team of cheerleaders for this one.

So, uh, I feel weird making a post about this because I have no idea what I'm talking about yet. Like, I can't comment on the visibility, or name hardly any of the critters I saw, or rate the experience overall as a diver, because these were my first dives ever. :P But it's been great! The thing is, I'm a home body. I haven't had an outdoor hobby or really any reason to leave the house in like more than 6 years. I used to play video games all day. So I thought to pick up diving because I wanted to break that habit and get out of my comfort zone a bit and actually leave my cave.

And out of my comfort zone I was! Oh boy... I had to quickly abandon the notion that I could afford to be highly sensitive to any kind of discomfort. Tight clothing, heavy stuff on me, not being able to move my fingers with perfect precision, having messy hair, the taste of salt water (eeewww), not being able to breathe through my nose... I'd never have imagined myself having a good time in those conditions. And yet I did! I got used to it fairly quickly, especially for me.

As for the actual dives, the first three were mainly drills and making sure we knew how to do all the skills we'd learned. I am glad to be done with the traumatic mask drills. :D On the fourth dive, we were able to go out and explore for real. We got down to about 38 feet. And I saw... THINGS! I don't think I saw any fish. I was too focused on trying to not bounce so much. Buoyancy is haaard. But there were lots of big sea stars that looked really fuzzy and I wanted to touch them but I was afraid I'd hurt them. Ooh, and anemones! I reached out to touch one and it CURLED IN. Like a flower that MOVES. Amazing. O_O Oh, and decorator crabs!! On the fourth dive I didn't see any 'cause they are hard to see, but during the first three dives, any time we were stationary I would look for them on the floor. And I found a few and got to hold them. They are strange, but delightful. :luv: There were also non-decorator crabs that were less sociable. I would reach my hand out to interact with them, and they'd shoot sideways. Do I look like an octopus or something? ALSO there was a massive tire. Who just loses a tire underwater? I have no idea how these things get there. But it was upright and looked like it meant business.

... But mostly I was doing this: :bounceline: and trying to make as little contact with the sea floor as possible for fear of crushing something to death. But yes! That's the beginning of... uh, of this. All this. I get the sense that diving is going to redefine how I spend the next several years of my life. :P I really want to pursue this. I don't really have a specific goal in mind right now...? Just having fun and seeing all there is to see! And step one is through! Woohoo!! I hope I can dive with all of you sometime!
So very happy to hear your accomplishement!!! Now you have your learners permit so now it is time to dive dive dive!!!
Hearing your enthusiasm just reinforces why I enjoy this so much!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Congratulations!! :joshsmith: :bday: :bounceline: :taco: :funky:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Congrats! Welcome to our addiction! Now, get out and dive as much as you can. You will find boyancy getting easier the more you dive and work on it. You have cracked the door open on a whole new world, just wait until you get the door all the way open!
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

Congrats!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Congrats Tess-

Hopefully we will get to go diving together soon!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Yippe !!
Lets go dive ASAP
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Congratulations, Tess! Now you need to go for a dive with Dylan, so he can have the pleasure of the joy that brand new divers have in everything they see underwater!

Oh, and don't worry about buoyancy. It takes practice. You have lots of people around who can give you tips, but mostly it takes miles underwater.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tess
Avid Diver

Post by Tess »

Thanks you guys! :partydance: Many many of you have been super kind and helpful since even before I knew when or where I would be certified - I really really appreciate that! You all rock immensely! :luv:

I did indeed get certified under Mr. Carlson. He was a great teacher... hilarious guy too!
Norris wrote: So very happy to hear your accomplishement!!! Now you have your learners permit so now it is time to dive dive dive!!!
Hearing your enthusiasm just reinforces why I enjoy this so much!
That's what I plan on doing! Your enthusiasm for my enthusiasm makes me feel even more enthusiastic!! This could go on forever. :confused:

It's super cool to be getting these people asking to go dive with me already. :D You guys make me feel so welcome. I'm so awkward in the water right now! You have no idea what you're in for... but already it seems like there are lots of adventures in store. Woohoo!
LCF wrote:Congratulations, Tess! Now you need to go for a dive with Dylan, so he can have the pleasure of the joy that brand new divers have in everything they see underwater!

Oh, and don't worry about buoyancy. It takes practice. You have lots of people around who can give you tips, but mostly it takes miles underwater.
Definitely! I'm like that anyway, though. :joshsmith: We'll be diving when his (and my) hectic school schedule allows it.

I can tell... I don't expect to become a mermaid anytime soon with a few magic tips. :) Would be nice, though!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Congratulations, Tess. There's an amazing underwater world for you to explore and learn about right in your backyard. Have fun and stay safe.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: Yay Read!! Your joy and delight is contagious, and I LOVE it! It is why we dive, and it is very sad that some forget...

But Yay Yay Yay!!!! Congratulations, and best dive report I have read in a long time!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tess
Avid Diver

Post by Tess »

Tom Nic wrote::joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: Yay Read!! Your joy and delight is contagious, and I LOVE it! It is why we dive, and it is very sad that some forget...

But Yay Yay Yay!!!! Congratulations, and best dive report I have read in a long time!
:luv: Thank you!! I was actually pretty nervous about posting because I wasn't sure what to say! You guys are so awesome.
spatman wrote:Congratulations, Tess. There's an amazing underwater world for you to explore and learn about right in your backyard. Have fun and stay safe.
This is quite literal because I live right by Browns Point! Like... 5 minute walk from the water. Haha, so I really could dive in my own backyard! And thank you. I will be exceedingly safe. :)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I never get tired of reading giddy "I just got certified" posts! And this is a classic example. Welcome, Tess. Please stick around, and please keep asking questions and learning- feel free to PM me if you're feeling shy. I'm awful busy these days, but I would make a special effort to come meet you for a dive sometime, if you want.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Yaay!! That was a pretty cool "feel good" post to read Tess!

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of alien underwater critters!

Looking forward to diving with you tomorrow and hopefully we get so see some amazing PNW critters!

THIS is what diving is all about, the passion, the excitement and the jumping up and down of joy at seeing a decorator crab!

LOVE IT!

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Fantastic news Tess ... see, I told ya you'd have a great time in Tom's class.

One "correction" though ... you are NOT done with traumatic mask drills until they are no longer traumatic. You have to understand that you learn this skill for a reason, and when you most need to use it you want it to be "no big whoop".

All it takes is practice ... something you should be encouraged to do at least a little bit of on every dive.

As Lynne said, the buoyancy control improves by diving ... your body has to learn how to move in a "weightless" environment. It's like anything else you do ... the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Let's go diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

This was a fun read, thank you for sharing your exuberance :eric:
I will do a mask drill with you on the 1st, that way it'll be no biggie all the sooner :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tess
Avid Diver

Post by Tess »

Joshua Smith wrote:I never get tired of reading giddy "I just got certified" posts! And this is a classic example. Welcome, Tess. Please stick around, and please keep asking questions and learning- feel free to PM me if you're feeling shy. I'm awful busy these days, but I would make a special effort to come meet you for a dive sometime, if you want.
:luv: You're so kind!! Well, I won't be demanding that you dive with me when you're not able, haha! We'll work something out when you can. :)
Grateful Diver wrote: One "correction" though ... you are NOT done with traumatic mask drills until they are no longer traumatic. You have to understand that you learn this skill for a reason, and when you most need to use it you want it to be "no big whoop".
CaptnJack wrote: I will do a mask drill with you on the 1st, that way it'll be no biggie all the sooner :)
*dives for cover* No. O_O You can't make me!!
I'll superglue a mask to my face. There won't be any need to do mask drills then. :D

...yeah, okay, I'll practice...
kdupreez wrote:THIS is what diving is all about, the passion, the excitement and the jumping up and down of joy at seeing a decorator crab!

LOVE IT!

Koos
Thank you! Decorator crabs are so fun! One of them that I held wasn't too keen on being in my hands, like he was kinda flipping out and trying to escape. So I gently set him down, and then he... didn't run away. Like, "Oh, I just wanted to be on the ground. We're good now, thanks." So cute!! I was delighted. :luv:
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Awesome... Congratulations! Hope we both meet and splash soon...
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Tess wrote:.I get the sense that diving is going to redefine how I spend the next several years of my life. :P I really want to pursue this. I don't really have a specific goal in mind right now...? Just having fun and seeing all there is to see! And step one is through! Woohoo!! I hope I can dive with all of you sometime!

Oh how I Love hearing from the new Scuba Junkies! Congratulation's Tess... you got a wonderful road ahead of you filled with any adventure you can imagine.

I look forward to meeting you in the near future...

Now go dunk yourself and don't come up till you find something REALLY cool! :partydance: :supz: :joshsmith:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Welcome to the addiction we call diving. It was definitely a treat to read your experience as a new diver as we all have been there. You will get better with time and practice. I know what worked with me was having a great dive buddy and doing alot of dives.Also you will find the diving community to be filled with great friendly knowledgeable people willing to answer questions you will have about diving. There is no such thing as a stupid question so ask away. Also assuming you dont have much gear that you can call your own, before buying anything ask around cause many are wiling to let you try out something you might be interested in. I am one of the Thursday South Sound divers and I hope you can come out to dive with us as well. I have no problems with diving with anyone and willing to go slow and easy. As for that BIG tire there are many interesting things at our dive sites. They dont call it the "JUNK YARD" at Three Tree in Burien for nothing. Yes you probably will even see the kitchen sink there.
Jeff Castor
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That big tire is there on purpose. There used to be a desk near by with a complete computer on it but alas saltwater is very unforgiving. Some day you will swim right through that tire and think weee look how far I've come! I highly recommend you talk to Janna and do her reef class. You can learn what all those critters are and a bit about why the do what they do. It really gets the thrill of discovery going.

Mask drills are no fun but it is an important skill. Sometimes you will have a leak problem and have to clear several times during your dive. Being able to do that without really thinking about it will make life a lot easier. Trying to dive with a mask full of water just ain't fun at all and sooner or later someone will bump you or kick you with a fin and you don't want that turning into a panic situation. Diving is just like any other sport. The more you do it the less you have to think about it and the more confident you'll become. It IS a whole new world out there and there are lots of critters waiting to fill you with wonder. And tons of new friends to meet.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tess,
Come dive with us on Thursday's!

This week, we'll be @ Three Tree North!
Come for one or both dives.
I'll buddy up with you for the 7:00 pm dive, :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: