Agate drift dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Agate drift dive

Post by stphnmartin »

With the super moon and ultra low tide today there was a ripping 7 knot current through agate passage. So my buddy and I took his boat out to do some flying underwater through the passage. It was a flooding current so we went north to south and tried to time getting beneath the bridge right at the predicted max current for maximum effect. The viz started out okay for only 25 feet of water, but as we got closer to the narrowest point it really cloudy up. The current got faster and faster and my buddy and I bounced off of one another then kicked a bit to stay in contact. Soon the floor was covered in white anemones which I recall from previous dive there are near and under the bridge. The current really ripped and suddenly a boulder appeared directly in front of me and with a sharp kick and pull of the current I narrowly slipped around the right side of it.

As the channel opened up the current slow and we popped a surface marker buoy to ascend safely and signal our ride for a pick up. Video is attached. Sorry it's a bit jumpy, but it was kinda like that.

http://vimeo.com/68983819
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: Agate drift dive

Post by Mortuus »

Now thats a drift dive!! Great video! Looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I cant wait to do that one myself
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Oh man, that looks awesome! Nice vid:)
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That is FLYING!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I want to do this dive !!!!!!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

H20doctor wrote:I want to do this dive !!!!!!
What he said!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

+ hell yes.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Its been a few years but that's a fun dive. Most fun you'll have in max 35ft of water that's for sure.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Thanks for sharing, I have not dove it in 10 years.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I haven't dived Agate Pass in years but it remains to this day the fastest drift I've ever done, and that's just how I remember it ... like watching a movie in fast forward.

Great vid ... thanks for shaking a memory out of the cobwebs ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

That reminds me of a dive in the NArrows a couple of times and then there was Toozoonie Narrows...I like drift dives, when they are supposed to be drifts.
K
"Let's go diving!"