Channel Islands Diving, 8-18-13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
coulterboy
Amphibian

Channel Islands Diving, 8-18-13

Post by coulterboy »

I had an epic dive today with Vlad (most of you know who Vlad is, he used to live in Seattle, but now lives in San Jose, CA) at Gull Island (an island off of Santa Cruz Island -one of the major Channel islands) and Cliff Rocks ( a rock ledge with pinnacles off of Santa Cruz island). We were on a charter boat called "The Spectre", based in Ventura, CA. Vlad and I slept on the boat overnight on the 17th, along with approximately 23 other divers, cause the boat had to leave the harbor at 0300 on the 18th. It took 3 1/2 hours to reach Gull island at around 35 miles. First dive was at 0700. You have to make a giant stride from the boat from approximately 10 feet, no big deal. Getting back to the boat was a breeze with a swim step the width of the stern and about 7 feet long and at water lever. A DM takes off your fins for you then you climb a ladder (2 ladders on each side of the stern). By the way, Gull island and Cliff Rocks are considered marine sanctuaries.

Vlad was diving his CCR and I brought along my HP80 with my BP/Wing and my 7 mm. wet suit. We did 3 out of 4 dives, because in our first dive, Vlad and I had a long dive and we were the last one to get back on the boat, and we had to have a longer SI, so we passed the 2nd dive. We then did dive 3 and 4. Well, actually, all the 3 dives we did, we came back as the last divers on the water. We really maximized our dive times ,and when we come up the boat, hell, there were already people in the hot tub and looking at us, like, dudes, you guys are taking a long time diving. I guess, that's what happens when you dive the PNW waters, then you go south and get a 60-80 ft. of viz, you just like to stay underwater as long as you can. Average depth on the 4 dives is around 55 fsw, but Vlad and I went deeper to find some critters. As I was about to jump off the boat on the first dive, while donning my fins, the spring strap snapped-oh crap! No bueno! But no problem, the DM's got me another a loaner yellow split fins (which the sea lions had a great time with the color) and less than a minute later, I was in the water. On our 3rd dive, a dentist who happened to be in the boat and was also diving, loaned me his extra strap, so I was back on my own fins. Now, on the 4th dive, I was already at the gate ready to do the giant stride, and crap, the strap snapped again, so back with the yellow split fins. All is well.

The first 3 sites were all around Gull island, with the boat dropping anchor in different locations. The 4th dive was off of Santa Cruz island called the Cliff Rocks. Marine life was stellar. Boat service was awesome. Food was great. Not to mention, the hot tub on the boat deck. In some trips, the Spectre actually caters to OW classes and have their check-off dives in any of the Channel islands. What a treat for the newbies! But this trip was not catered to classes.

We saw a resting leopard shark in a crevice, that we didn't bother. Don't know if Vlad took a pic of the shark. By the way, sea lions were everywhere to greet you the moment you jump in the water and throughout the dive.

All in all, I would recommend the Spectre Dive Boat, if you wanna dive the Channel Islands. It is owned and operated by Ted (boat captain) and Shannon (wife & cook), sorry, forgot their last names, along with 3 DM's they contract.

Word of mouth says that, Ted and Shannon on the Spectre Dive Boat has around 40 years of experience on charters and, there's only one charter company that compares to them in SoCal.

Forgive me of my sucky pics, and Vlad has promised that he will post his great pics ASAP.
Vlad
Vlad
Vlad
Vlad
One of the greeters
One of the greeters
Gull island with Santa Cruz island in the background
Gull island with Santa Cruz island in the background
Upper deck view from the Spectre, with the hot tub (not in view) located behind the double white painted bathrooms on the lower deck.
Upper deck view from the Spectre, with the hot tub (not in view) located behind the double white painted bathrooms on the lower deck.
Hello and Goodbye!
Hello and Goodbye!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Channel Islands Diving, 8-18-13

Post by LCF »

Channel Islands diving can be fantastic! I applaud your bravery, though -- I've always found the jump off the Spectre to be a bit daunting, myself, especially when holding a scooter.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

LCF wrote:Channel Islands diving can be fantastic! I applaud your bravery, though -- I've always found the jump off the Spectre to be a bit daunting, myself, especially when holding a scooter.
The DM manning the side of the boat where you do the giant stride didn't allow anybody to jump with any equipment on your hand. You give any equipment (large camera set-up, small point & shoot camera, scooter, etc.) to the DM, and he'll hook it up on a line and lower it down to you while you wait in the water. Perhaps, they have learned their lesson in the past.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Nice report! That sea lion shot is great!
Last edited by Bric Martin on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Huh . . . the last time I was on the boat was a couple of years ago, and we all jumped in with our scooters. I was initially reluctant to do it, and was convinced. It actually isn't hard to do at all.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I remember doing similar entries off the Peace. Seemed like a bit of hang time between stride and splash ... especially when going in off the bow. Is the Spectre even higher out of the water?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Last edited by vlad on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Gorgeous photos! I love diving in the kelp -- it's one thing I miss in Puget Sound.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Awesome photos Vlad.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Grateful Diver wrote:I remember doing similar entries off the Peace. Seemed like a bit of hang time between stride and splash ... especially when going in off the bow. Is the Spectre even higher out of the water?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I do believe the Spectre sits higher out of the water.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome, Vlad!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Those photos are amazing!!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Great photos Vlad! Great to see that California is treating you well- We'll have to put together a trip soon to come down and dive with you.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Thanks guys!

Sure come over, I'll be glad to join you! Channel Islands are worth a multi-day liveaboard trip, it should be fun.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report! Way to represent for NWDC! And Vlad - your pics are off the hook!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Those pictures are amazing! Now I have another place on my list of 'gotta see's. Non-diver hubby will never understand!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome shots Vlad! love that sea hare.