8/22/13 Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

8/22/13 Redondo

Post by McGlencoe »

Made the report on our dive planning thread, but guess it should be over here....

8/22/13 Redondo:

Gdog, my dive buddy Jonathan and I hit the water right about 7:20-7:25 and it was a high tide; water was up the first three stairs which made entry real nice.

Swam out to the end of the pier, literally "bumping" into fellow NWDC member winte.r and his dive buddy Stacey swimming in (Also from the bubbles coming up, it looked like there were three more divers too, below the end of the pier doing their safety stop). We moved aside a few yards, dropped in and took the deep line out, viz was pretty bad until we hit 25-30' or so and it got better the deeper we went.

Before I knew it we were at the statue and then the carousel horse, I was a little surprised, thinking it would've taken longer to get out there (my first time on the deep line). With the high tide, the back end of the boat was right at 89' according to the fancy new computer on my wrist.... OK it's not that fancy, but at $249.00, I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Hollis DG03 as a starter computer (even has Nitrox capability).

There was a nice medium sized GPO in the pipe in front of the boat and we saw four other small red octos in various places throughout the dive. Maybe George will post up a few pics.

Was hoping to go out to the bowl and see if we could spot the 6 gill that had been sighted in recent weeks, but a little mis-cominucation on some damn newbie's part (namely me) and we started the swim back nice and slow, taking our time coming back in.

All told, we had a great dive and we'd be happy to have Gdog join us for another dive anytime.

The good- Anytime in the water is good and hadn't been out to the carousel horse before.
The bad- The viz was bad at start, but was a lot better as we got deeper.
The ugly- Somehow left my good mask at the house and had to use my back up, which doesn't seal on my face as well, so lots of mask clearing....

Max depth 89'
Bottom time: 36 minutes
Temp: 53*
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: 8/22/13 Redondo

Post by Gdog »

Well, nothing really turned out photo wise, but here are a few anyway.
Red Octo in Pipe.jpg
GPO in the Pipe.jpg
Alibaster Nudi Redondo 8-22-13.jpg
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

I think myself and two others were the guys doing the safety stop while you were heading out and I think I got the same pics of the same octos as well. Certainly a nice evening for diving for sure.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sounds like the duct tape worked as a wrist seal, eh...!
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

Worked like a charm! Thanks! I think Mheyns is now anxiously awaiting the arrival of his new suit!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Nice. And sounds like I need to add duct tape to my save-a-dive kit.
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

You and I both!
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I've used a bicycle patch on a latex seal with great success