Redondo Club Dive 9/28/13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Redondo Club Dive 9/28/13

Post by LCF »

What a day!

The forecast was awful, but it didn't seem that bad when we left the house in Woodinville. The further south we drove, though, the worse it got, and by the time we arrived at Redondo, it was quite literally pouring cats and dogs. The parking lot looked like a homeless camp, with all the pavilions (but I was awfully glad of the sided tent with the heaters in it, after our dive!). Water was running about a inch deep over the whole lot, and my feet were soaking wet before I ever got them in my dry suit.

Surprisingly, about a dozen or more people showed up to dive, and I think about twenty more must have stopped by and dropped off food, judging from what was on Penelope's tables.

I dove with Peter and Nirupam Nigam, a recent import from SoCal. We went in on the far side of the boat ramp, to do some critter-hunting in the shallows. Entry was EASY (which was not true of our exit later). We were all rewarded with absolutely fabulous visibility -- I don't know what it was, but at least 30 feet and I think more. Critters were out in force, including a nice red octo and a LUMPSUCKER!

We spent a lovely hour photographing and then headed in, standing up near the stairs, where conditions had changed amazingly since our entry. Waves were now rolling in, the water was muddy brown, and Randy Williams was standing at the head of the stairs, shouting, "Don't even try to get out here, the last team got their butts handed to them." So we waded to the boat dock, swam out past the two boats that were leaving, and ducked under the dock and across the boat ramp to get out on the beach on the other side.

Hooray for all the intrepid folk who came out today, and my hat is most definitely off to those who headed in for a second dive!

"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo Club Dive 9/28/13

Post by Jeremy »

Nice Lumpy!

Sounds like a fun day imo

:supz:
jturner
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jturner »

It was so much fun! We had a great time meeting you all. Shell was amazing and took Ryan and I out but our rental gear was a bit of a disaster and we just couldn't get the weight to work out. Ryan had to go back in while Shell and I did a dive to about 60 feet and 10 minutes later I was out of air... The current and weather was not much fun on the way in but we did get to see a GPO! We learned a lot from everyone's helpful tips, ate some delicious food and can't wait till next time. Oh and thank you to Matt for saving Ryan on the rocks! She very much appreciates it.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

The rain poured, sometimes sideways. And it did look a lot like a refugee camp!
IMAG1495.jpg
IMAG1496.jpg
But there was indeed plenty of food. Quite a bit more arrived after this pic, and the cooking hadnt started yet.
IMAG1493.jpg
IMAG1494.jpg
However, after the entry and prior to the exit, the diving was awesome! Here are some of my best shots from today
Juvenile Wolf Eel in Open.jpg
Gunnel Family.jpg
Grunt Sculpin.jpg
Warbonnet Redondo.jpg
Juvenile Wolf Eel in Bottle.jpg
Hooded Nudi.jpg
Redondo Anenome.jpg
Penelope did awesome, worked her butt off feeding us all. Props to her once again, and much thanks!
Also, Jeff and his incredible MR Heater Tent was a lifesaver! Hard to believe you could actually be way too warm in there with the sideways rain we had.
It was a blast, and was fun meeting everyone. Until next time, Happy Diving!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Sweet pics gdog! I wanted to dive today, but we went up to the mariners game :)

Where did you find that wolf eel?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Here's the picture that really sums the day up for me:

"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

LOl.....great shot Lynn! And a great summation of the day!

Jesse, the wolfie in the open was along the north line almost to the vw. The one in the bottle was in the middle of the south bottle field.
Incredible vis today!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Great shot of the open wolfie!!!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Great photos everyone! I missed the wolfie. And the lumpsucker. #-o But I saw the rain! :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

LCF wrote:Here's the picture that really sums the day up for me:
OMG! Seattle doesn't change. You know, after a year in Nor Cal, I somehow started to miss that rain. The weather was bad last week here, I still went hiking and got reasonably wet and cold, but feel better now. Go figure.

Nice pictures!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Hardy bunch of divers :)
Looks like visibility below was better than above ...
Great shot of Lumpie, Lynne. I still did not see an adult lumpsucker. And love that octopus shot.
I guess for that lumpsucker, I might have to leave the island :eek:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Pretty much sums up the day here in PT yesterday. Not to bad going in, good viz below 20 fsw lots to see but I began feeling the surge at 20fsw coming out and did the swim, wait, swim bit till I could stand but 3 to 4 foot waves made the exit pretty darn dicey. We all made it out ok but I was pretty beat. Kept my dry suit on till all the gear was stored and we all pack up and headed over to Sea J's for fish and chips and show and tell. Good company and warm food and I was ready for a nap! :rawlings:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Jan, make a trip down this winter and I'm sure Bob would be ecstatic to show you a lumpie. I'd even drive down to Redondo on a weeknight for that!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

That pic of the wolfie in the open is contest quality. Absolutely beautiful!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

LCF wrote:Here's the picture that really sums the day up for me:

Looking at this picture I can't believe I had such a good time yesterday! It was a great group to dive with and we managed to have a great time on the surface too!

@jturner: Your both welcome and I'm glad you two came out and dove with us. I hope to see you at another event or weekly dive group!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I soon came to the realization that we needed to bring a canopy and a heater as well. It would have made the end of the dive much better.

I am glad everyone had fun...hopefully we can join in soon.

Dave
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks David! I appreciate that. I liked it too!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Epic photos. Thanks for sharing!!!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I was definitely a great day if diving at Redondo including the parking lot. :neener:
Attachments
P9281611.JPG
very nice viz and dive buddies ;-)
very nice viz and dive buddies ;-)
P9281617.JPG
this was before a dive. 1 hour later and it was a raging river
this was before a dive. 1 hour later and it was a raging river
Jeff Castor
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey! That looks like me in that photo!
I like your grunt shot in the hoof, turned out way better than mine.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Gdog wrote:Hey! That looks like me in that photo!
I like your grunt shot in the hoof, turned out way better than mine.
Yeh I took a shot to show the quality of the viz. as for the grunt it was luck as you see alot of scatter in the wolfie pic. I also really need to get me a strobe, it seems the diffuser on this housing keeps all the light to the right.My rule is take alot of pics and some are bound to come out right. :notworthy:
Jeff Castor