Snatching Crabs in Mukilteo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
sarinae
Aquaphile

Snatching Crabs in Mukilteo

Post by sarinae »

PlayinginJeans and I went out to the T-dock this morning to catch some sweet winter dungies before they were all gone. It was one of those days you were happy to say, "I caught crabs!", although something is lost in the translation when you send your hubby at work a cryptic message like that, I learned.

Splashed around 10:40, ran into Diverbob? Sorry, my old brain forgets things easily..... anyway, I am sure you all know this fabulously nice gentleman. He said viz was good after 15', which we confirmed. Definitely a hazy layer, maybe dispersion? Another gentleman suggested we try out to the north side where the crabs were feeding on barnacles. Yes, definitely a lot of crabby activity in this area although I found more than my share of girls.

33 min, doesn't take long to burn through air when you're flailing around chasing those beasties. This was our first time, so we were trying some different techniques to see what worked well. Caught about 4 between the two of us that were keepers. Pretty much didn't see much else, we were there for groceries.

Surface interval, sun out, ran into some great folks from Tacoma who came up for the crab. He walked the shore to the oil dock and came up empty-handed. Beautiful day to hang at the beach and catch some beers at Diamond Knot for them though.

Next dive we thought to give a try to the southern pier. Dropped down, pretty shallow out there, and by the time we got below the smog it was past the area where we figured any crabs were hanging out. Cruised around and found a few out for a good time but no keepers, then headed north. Found a few along the way and mostly limited out.

Along the beach at about 25 feet we found a beautiful red spotted juvenile wolf eel just out cruising. Had to stop and observe for a while, it was so beautiful. Missed a crab and then spotted another little juvie wolf only about 8" long. What a treat! Found a girl crab, and then realized the green seaweed was really a moray eel out cruising town too. I've never seen 3 eels out and about like that, so that was a great find.

Viz is great, though the access is a bit challenging there in Mukilteo these days. The seawall replacement is midway through the project and our usual parking area is fenced off. Fortunately, they left us access to the stairs so we can still get down there to access the beach. Just wanted everyone to know that you should plan to park to the east a bit and walk a little farther than usual.

Have fun out there! 8-2 crab season is open from now to the end of the year, 7 days a week!
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Re: Snatching Crabs in Mukilteo

Post by MorningDiverBob »

sarinae wrote:
Splashed around 10:40, ran into Diverbob? Sorry, my old brain forgets things easily..... anyway, I am sure you all know this fabulously nice gentleman. He said viz was good after 15', which we confirmed. Definitely a hazy layer, maybe dispersion?
That's me :) NIce to met you. Glad you caught some crabs and good time dive.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Thanks so much, Bob, it was lovely to meet you and I hope to run into you again soon! I'll try to remember, you're a MORNING person! :)
PlayingInJeans
Frequent Bubbler

Post by PlayingInJeans »

I'm pretty sure I was at work.....

Good to know that I have someone impersonating me :/.

Can that person go to work for me?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

sarinae wrote:It was one of those days you were happy to say, "I caught crabs!", although something is lost in the translation when you send your hubby at work a cryptic message like that, I learned.
I gave my ex herpes and chlamydia for Valentine's Day once while she was in med. school and she still has them in her office. Perhaps you should give your husband a Crab Louse (Pthirus pubis) the next time you go diving and don't bring home any crabs to feed him.
giantmicrobes.com
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

So sorry, it was bfox, if everyone would just use their name it would be so much easier for me! So, PlayingInJeans, my apologies! Brandon, I apologize to you too for mixing you two up!

Renoun, I love the giantmicrobes. Got a few on ThinkGeek, just about the best website ever. Santa gets most of his gifts there when he visits our house. We even got a great e.coli last year on clearance that farts and barfs when you fling it. The kids loved it, the hubby not so much.