10-8 Edmonds dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

10-8 Edmonds dive

Post by Nwbrewer »

Last week Paulicarp, Monk and and I dragged a 5th diver out to site of the old Edmonds oil dock site. (I think Jeremy referred to it as Secret Reef)

I'd always heard that there was nothing left after they took out the pier (I believe the term used was wasteland). It's certainly not as spectacular of a site as it was when the pier was there, but it's anything but a wasteland. All of the rubble that was there to support the old pilings is still there, along with a few pilings, broken off stumps, some cut down I-Beams and some large tires are spread across depths from 40' down to ~100'. There were also some random pipes sticking out of the bottom. I think they are the bases of metal pilings.

While it's no match for it's former glory this site is now one of my favorite N end shore diving sites.

Monk's video -
phpBB [video]

And Mine -
phpBB [video]

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: 10-8 Edmonds dive

Post by Linedog »

Awesome vids, thanks!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

What tanks are you slinging, Jake? Are those lp72s?
mpspringer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mpspringer »

Cool vids. Could you hear the ferry close by?
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Jake... isn't that the canoe compass on your scooter? How has that been working out so far?
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yep, Lp 72's. For recreational dives I don't need more than that, and they're nice and light (and cheap!)

That's the engine from some sort of fishing boat, the ferry is a long ways off.

That's the Seattle Kayak compass. Best scooter compass ever.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Perhaps someone should update the site listing for the oil dock or create a new one. This thread has more useful information that the title would lead one to believe.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

renoun wrote:Perhaps someone should update the site listing for the oil dock or create a new one. This thread has more useful information that the title would lead one to believe.
Shhhhhh....it's secret....

Great videos - I enjoyed both of them!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

renoun wrote:Perhaps someone should update the site listing for the oil dock or create a new one. This thread has more useful information that the title would lead one to believe.
I'm too lazy. But if one were heading out there, I'd suggest entering the water, and moving just to your south until your back is to the breakwater that used to be the old pier footing. Head out at 240degrees until the slope starts to break deeper. Depending on how the current has pushed you around during the swim out, the "Reef" is just to your north or south, starting in about 30-40 FSW and extending down to ~90.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Very interesting. Yeah, I dived here with Marc and Bob shortly after the removal, and it was indeed a wasteland. Nothing like what I'm seeing in your vids. I might just need to head up there soon.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:That's the Seattle Kayak compass. Best scooter compass ever.
http://www.rei.com/product/752705/seatt ... 1b2166c62d

this one? Any idea what the depth rating is?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote:

That's it.

No idea what the depth rating is, but based on the fact that it's full of oil, I'd say really deep.

I got mine off amazon for about $8 cheaper.
Last edited by Nwbrewer on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:but based on the fact that it's full of oil, I'd say really deep.
Yes, but is that "Super Lemon Wedge Trimix" deep?

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:but based on the fact that it's full of oil, I'd say really deep.
Yes, but is that "Super Lemon Wedge Trimix" deep?
Only if you drain the oil and replace it with Lemon Pledge. Didn't they teach you anything in your class? I wouldn't recommend attempting this procedure at home unless you are sure that you keep it oxygen clean. :stir:
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
monk
Avid Diver

Post by monk »

Lemon Pledge? Man I've still got so much to learn!

Thanks for posting my vid, I was slacking on that.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

That's it.

No idea what the depth rating is, but based on the fact that it's full of oil, I'd say really deep.

UPS just dropped mine off. It's pretty sweet. I remember hearing about these on some other board a while back. I have broken a stupid number of SK-7 modules mounted to my scoot- it always chapped my ass that they are so fragile, yet so expensive. This seems like an excellent alternative.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

That's it.

UPS just dropped mine off. It's pretty sweet. I remember hearing about these on some other board a while back. I have broken a stupid number of SK-7 modules mounted to my scoot- it always chapped my ass that they are so fragile, yet so expensive. This seems like an excellent alternative.
Probably on DiveMatrix, that's where I stole the idea from. Paul and I have been using them for 8 months or so now, and they rock.

We went back out to Secret reef last night. Hands down best vis I've ever had in the Sound. It was variable but in the "good" parts it was 50', in the "bad" parts more like 30'. But in the "great" parts 75'!

Hovering at 80' looking at plumose anemones at 100' and still being able to see ripples on the surface was actually disorienting for us Puget Sound regulars.

More video soon.