Missile Silo Dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Missile Silo Dive

Post by Nwcid »

Here is some pics and info from the silo dive we did this weekend.

http://scubadivesites.webs.com/titan-1-silo
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Missile Silo Dive

Post by LowDrag »

Eventually I want to do that dive too. I am not quite there experience wise yet. Thanks for the pic's.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I did an update, added video to the site and it taking longer to publish then normal. Please check back, it will be back up soon.
John

seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Awesome pics/video.
How long is each dive?
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Dive time is however long you want it to be, just no deco. I have not looked at our computers yet but I would say about 45 min each. Max depth was 105'.
John

Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

I have thought about doing this dive but wondered if it got "boring" after awhile.

Thoughts? Worth the money and drive time? In our house the deciding question is: "Would you do it again?"

Great write up on your site.

edit: Must make my fingers understand the difference between "Right" and "Write". Bad fingers.
Last edited by Paladin4Christ on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Paladin4Christ wrote:I have thought about doing this dive but wondered if it got "boring" after awhile.

Thoughts? Worth the money and drive time? In our house the deciding question is: "Would you do it again?"

Great right up on your site.

What he said/asked. :penelope:
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

I did this dive years ago. Interesting to experience, but a little pricy to recommend it or ever do it a second time. I would save my money a do something like God's pocket or go dive a nice charter in the PNW.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I look at it as a bucket list dive, something I wanna do someday before my rebreather kills me. :BDub:
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Bob Bailey (greatfuldiver) did this dive with us and he thought it was worth the trip from Federal Way......

You don't have "time" to get bored. Basically you drop down to the bottom which is max 110'. Being on air that is a bottom time of about 12 min. So make a loop or two while taking pictures and your time is up. Yeah with Nitrox would give you more time. Then just a nice slow ascent looking at all the things on the way up.

The "would you do it again" is kind of a trick question. The overall opinion from everyone I had asked is, "it is a must do at least once dive". I fully agree. I would not go every week or every year even. I will probably do it again at some point, but would probably tag onto with another group and not plan it. While my camera took decent pics I will not go again before I get a new set up and time to learn it.

One thing I would have liked is to get some surface time in. It was an option but by the time we got done it was late so we passed. Everyone had a 3+ hr drive to get home.

Was that helpful?
John

seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Nwcid wrote:Bob Bailey (greatfuldiver) did this dive with us and he thought it was worth the trip from Federal Way......

You don't have "time" to get bored. Basically you drop down to the bottom which is max 110'. Being on air that is a bottom time of about 12 min. So make a loop or two while taking pictures and your time is up. Yeah with Nitrox would give you more time. Then just a nice slow ascent looking at all the things on the way up.

The "would you do it again" is kind of a trick question. The overall opinion from everyone I had asked is, "it is a must do at least once dive". I fully agree. I would not go every week or every year even. I will probably do it again at some point, but would probably tag onto with another group and not plan it. While my camera took decent pics I will not go again before I get a new set up and time to learn it.

One thing I would have liked is to get some surface time in. It was an option but by the time we got done it was late so we passed. Everyone had a 3+ hr drive to get home.

Was that helpful?
yes it was helpful. It shall go on my list of dives to do, but not near the top :)
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Very helpful.

I still think it looks cool and I agree it could be a checkmark dive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

To answer the question from a personal perspective ... it's a dive I've been wanting to do for quite some time. The opportunity came for me to do it with some people I helped train, know well, and enjoy diving with ... so I took it. It was a long day ... 160 miles each direction from where I live. It was spendy ... $145 plus travel expenses.

It was worth it. Something I might not need to do again, but very glad to have experienced.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

KUOW just ran a story about Boeing's Minuteman test silo in Seattle yesterday. This is a more modern missile program (still in use) than the Titan silo in Royal City but is also an interesting bit of history in our back yard.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver