Three Tree 11/7

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Three Tree 11/7

Post by pogiguy05 »

Met up with Tom Nic around 9am for a couple of dives. The wind was blowing yet we still decided to try and set up the canopy to help get out of the rain. I have 4 concrete cinder blocks to help in windy situations, but once the sides were up it was obvious it was not going to work out. We made sure the sides were open and then geared up for a dive to the cabin cruiser. It is nice that Three Tree entry is protected from southerly winds. There was not much wave action as we swam out to the buoys and dropped. Visibility was about 20-25fsw and slowly the cabin cruiser appeared. We both had our cameras so we do what photo divers do and looked for interesting stuff. At one point I noticed an anemone must have eaten something that gave it alot of gas. It was blowing bubbles out its butt like there was no tomorrow and I have pictures to prove it. Then again it might have been Tom inside the cruiser taking a pic of something he found. The large octo is no longer there and after about 15 minutes we started to head back to the entry. We found the engine block which had a condo for grunt sculpins going on today. Seems every nook or cranny had one occupying it.

The second dive was to the junk yard. On this dive also found that the octo under the golf ball boat is no longer there. As we swam at about 70fsw there was a very long white pipe amongst some other debri and I was surprised when I looked into the end of it there was a grey wolf eel staring at me. On our way back to the entry to my delightful surprise when we came across the golf ball boats trailer, I found a juvenile wolf eel in the rear square pipe on the right side. Sorry but my pics did not come out of him. :angry: We also encounter the mysterious bowling ball pyramid which is around 40fsw and between the entry and the antler house.Both Tom and I had not been in the water in a while and it was great getting wet again. Both above and below. There was no current to speak of on either dive as well. Water temp was 50 degrees and we did about 1 hour each dive.
Attachments
PB072050.JPG
PB072061.JPG
PB072078.JPG
PB072042.JPG
PB072065.JPG
PB072068.JPG
PB072044.JPG
Jeff Castor
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Three Tree 11/7

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful dives, but the surface conditions blew - literally! Thanks Jeff for a couple of great dives - It's been too long since I've been out on a Thursday.

It was weird watching the 25lb? concrete block levitate in the wind. We were fortunate it wasn't blown away while we were underwater.

Great report - nothing to add except that the Cabin Cruiser octo WAS there - just had to look a little further back.

I've been seeing pics of this gorgeous White Grunt Sculpin - Moby Grunt?

She turned away after getting tired of my flash, and when she did it revealed the treasures that she (he?!? Not sure whether it is the male or female that stays with the eggs) has been watching.

There was plenty to keep us busy taking pics, colorful Crescent Gunnels, handsome Scaleyheads, and the occasional cooperative Ratfish. All in all a couple of great dives!

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Love that last pic of the bubbles coming up through the Plumose - way cool!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

And last but not least, we ran into the star of that famous old movie - "I Was A Teenage Wolf Eel".

And.... who says there aren't sharks around here?!

pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I thought it was a dolphin but maybe I am wrong :luv:
Jeff Castor
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey pogiguy, Anemones don't have butts, They poop through there mouth! :rofl:

Tom I'm surprised you don't know that the male grunt is the egg sitter.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Very awesome pics!!!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Great photos. You make me want to get up to TTN when it's not so windy.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Nice pics and report Tom and Jeff!

Monk, GDog and I met up to do a night dive. We all arrived a little late due to horrible traffic caused by the wind and rain. But by the time we got to the site, things had calmed down and we were able to enjoy gearing up in dry calm.

Minimal surface current, great viz. Sightings of note included a decorated warbonnet (I've never seen one of these there -- but too far back in a tire to photo), hooded nudies, eel grass (I haven't noticed it here in years), and unfortunately a few wasting sunflower sea stars :(.

Great diving, sorry we missed you Jeff
DSC_1566-2.jpg
DSC_1512-2.jpg
DSC_1585-2.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
monk
Avid Diver

Post by monk »

Thanks for the tour and the great dive! (I'm glad I didn't give up on the drive half way due to traffic.) It was nice meeting Gdog and Yelloweye in person. I will be trying to add some more ThThTh into my schedule once in awhile.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Way cool about the Warbonnet! I will keep an eye out...

Glad you guys got in a dive and that things were starting to calm down a bit by the time you got there.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote: and unfortunately a few wasting sunflower sea stars :(
Did you take a picture? I was looking for them but did not see any.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Not much to take a photo of, their little sea star arms were laying everywhere!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Not a great shot, but here is one example:
DSC_1601.jpg
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote:Not a great shot, but here is one example:
DSC_1601.jpg
Here is a link to a page where we are being asked to report sightings and pics. This can be important in documenting any spread of this disease.

http://www.vanaqua.org/act/research/sea-stars
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks for the link! I reported it.