First few days of Bonaire...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

First few days of Bonaire...

Post by Jeremy »

Donkeys...lizards....Mosquitos...and lots of diving!!!

Here is how we spent our first couple of days...

http://youtu.be/yIULyVOI0Ko
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: First few days of Bonaire...

Post by pogiguy05 »

Can you kill all the mosquito's before you come back.
Jeff Castor
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Word of warning - there have been major shortages and issues getting tanks from Buddy Dive all week. They simply don't have enough tanks to fill demand.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Awesome. 3 weeks and we will be there. I see Dusty lights in there. Now I won't feel bad brining our Dusty lights :partyman:
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Cool vid. Our dive coordinator for the Oregon Scuba Club just got back from Bonaire recently and did a presentation on it during our last meeting. Thanks for the video it really put together the pic's he showed and the stories he passed on about the different places and the yellow rocks.

Dave
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

LowDrag wrote:Cool vid. Our dive coordinator for the Oregon Scuba Club just got back from Bonaire recently and did a presentation on it during our last meeting. Thanks for the video it really put together the pic's he showed and the stories he passed on about the different places and the yellow rocks.

Dave
If you have yet to dive Bonaire my first experience was this past June and I will be going back in January. I highly recommend that if you can to make a trip there.It was my first tropical dive vacation so maybe I am bias but the weather and diving is AWESOME. There is so much life no matter what site you dive and it is all accessible. Both times we have had a group and rented a beach front house and with air fare, I would say the average cost is $2000. That includes approx. $550 for house rental,$180 for 1 week of nitrox, $25 marine park tag, $$ truck rental depending on how many split the truck,$750 airfare if you go for the usual 1 week (6 days of diving),about $200 spending cash,and $$ for foods for the group. Can't remember how much the food pot was per person but you pool your money and stock the fridge.
Attachments
turtle bonaire.jpg
Jeff Castor
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

As I look outside at the liquid sunshine all this video did was make me long for Sun and warm weather.

What a great escape from the reality we call Fall/Winter in the Pacific Northwest! Thank you!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwcid wrote:Awesome. 3 weeks and we will be there. I see Dusty lights in there. Now I won't feel bad brining our Dusty lights :partyman:
Dusty lights are awesome for Bonaire. I started carrying mine on every dive. Because it is LED turning it on and off is no big deal. Use it on Hidey Holes down deeper, to add a bit of light to some video shots, and it really makes the cargo hold of the Hooker pop!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:Word of warning - there have been major shortages and issues getting tanks from Buddy Dive all week. They simply don't have enough tanks to fill demand.
I have heard this as well. Thanks for the heads up.

We have had no problems using WannaDive for gas. We will be using Dive Friends this time, and have also heard good reports here as well.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Definitely bring the can light. Dusty's lights have stood up to MAJOR abuse on these trips so far...being thrown around in a pick up, sand, slamming into rocks in surf...they really are impressively strong and can take a beating.

Also, discovered a great place for lunch: "Between 2 Buns".... they make incredible sandwiches and are right on the way to Wannadive or Buddy Dive. We saw the same people eating there day after day...just like we were.

Spectacular night diving at Front Porch! This place is pretty dead looking during the day, though checking out the wreck at 90 fsw is always fun. But at night....holy cow!! The dead "sandy" background gives tremendous contrast and you see things you would have never seen otherwise. We saw a huge octo tonight, 10+ Moray's...some of which were out hunting, probably 20+ nudis, just so so much! Great night dive. Oh, and Salt Pier is good too. :)

If I could only do one dive on Bonaire (not counting the east side) it would be the La Dania's Leap to Karpata. La Dania's Leap is not marked with a typical yellow stone...you have to look for the yin yang symbol painted on the road. Walk down the path until you see the yellow buoy that says "Leap"...and then you should do just that!! The leap spot is just to the right and you can make the jump from only about 2 ft if you want. Head straight out for the frigging BEST WALL in Bonaire!! That sucker starts at 85 fsw and drops STRAIGHT DOWN to 130 fsw!!! Intense! Oh, and the follow up is a one way kick dive to Karpata where you will see ravine after ravine on a downright tremendously large scale (almost as good as Possession Point Fingers :) )

You don't need to kick all that fast, but you do have to watch your gas. The wall is DEEP...and you still have the whole kick to Karpata. I'd personally do this dive twice in a row, it is that fun.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LaDania's is my favorite dive as well. We slung 80's, (the extra gas is wonderful! ) went deep over the lip at the entry (wall drops straight down from 30 fsw (not 85!) to well over 150), then do 90 minutes plus leisurely working our way to Karpata.

What kind of Nudis did you see at Front Porch? We're they in the sand or the coral?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I have to chime in for Between Two Buns...you know it's good when the locals eat there.
Also Eddys on the weekends for breakfast...
Wanna dive for all you can eat NITROX....
I really enjoyed Salt Pier and Karpata...but really, anywhere is good...just keep diving...
We stayed at The Bridanda Apts...very small operation, very clean, very nice...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I think I would refer to what TOM said when we did our checkout dive. This will be the worst dive of the trip and when you there it is still awesome. If I had to pick a dive that really stuck out it was the night dive at Salt Pier.There was so much life of all kinds. I was startled by a small octo that did a jack in the box POP out from a coral rock, then proceeded to turn to liquid as it OOOZED into the crack and crevices and then down the side of the coral.. :taco: Then the Moray eel running from the paparazzi, the tarpon who like to just sneek up on you in the dark :eek: ,eagle rays just flying in the water and there were even some near the shore as we ended the dive. However, every dive was a great dive and only 53 days until we are there again. :joshsmith:
Jeff Castor