state park clay wall

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

state park clay wall

Post by H20doctor »

well there isnt anything fancy about this video, ive watched it like 3 times and asked my self why am i even sharing it ? :questionmarks: ... I filmed with my gopro Black in protune , and im starting to dislike the gopro black more and more each time i use it .. im the type of diver who just wants to edit video quick , short and get it done , the last thing i want to do is take video files that are 8 gigs , and try to color correct them for hours upon hours so that they look correct to our Puget sound waters.. So here is the clay wall.. with a gopro... what you cant see in this video are the gunels , they are here to mate in the thousands of small clay pocket holes, made by the clams ... you cant see the beauty of this site and what it has to offer for the divers who visit here , the small red octos that use the holes for homes... the list goes on and on about this site... during this dive we were engulfed by hundreds of perch, a massive school of them , but the gopro didnt capture it the way it should have to to the white balance , and blah blah blah ... what i really think is going on is that im getting to wrapped up in video process and what it should look like , and how i can make it spectacular .. when i should just be trying to show what i saw , and what diving has to offer ...
phpBB [video]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: state park clay wall

Post by ljjames »

I am not 100% sure you are being serious because i'm generally bad at judging intent online, and your video looks good, but my first recommendation is that you not worry about pro-tune etc... Yes, there are definite theoretical benefits to shooting in higher bitrate (make sure you have class 10 card if you try it) and I've used it and done the whole color grading in post thing (crank up the contrast), etc... BUT, I've shot the hero3black side by side with a 5DMK2 with L series glass on multiple occasions and in all honestly it does really really well in just plain regular 1080p 30fps mode. The most important thing is enjoying the dive and sharing your joy. I know you love diving and have a great passion for sharing it...

I'll share one of my greatest angst shooting video. The worst video i've shot and edited in YEARS has the highest hit rate, probably second only to the original latex she-p video which i'm sure gets hits because of the latex and peeing in the tags. A video i shot just to give my dive buddy and his brother something to remember their experience by. Of course I still kick myself regularly for a) not taking the 'better' camera (i used the old CX500 and did white balance it) and b) editing it and posting it. Would i post it again? yes. it meant something to me. the experience it represented was about 1000 times the video that came of the dive. the video was a pale crappy shadow.

I actually really like the gopro 3 black, but I don't even use a LCD back on it. I just point it and turn it on. Without any adds, it seems super stable and just does what its supposed to.

H2O doc, keep shooting... keep your passion...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Chris, I liked the video. Nice work. Like Laura said, keep shooting!
rsc3001
Just Settling In

Post by rsc3001 »

Sweet video man!....The perch turned out great. I see what you mean by my light lighting up the whole "herd" there toward the end of the vidy. Nothing good of the wolfie when it came out?
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I think the issue of shooting with a fixed focal length lens, particularly wide angle, is that it doesn't match your own visual impression of the scene. If one looks closely, one can spot the gunnels and red octos, and even get a glimpse of the extent of the school of perch. Naturally our own visual focus (and automatic dynamic range compensation) will bring these things to the forefront of our attention.

Many years ago, I found that I preferred medium telephoto focal lengths when shooting landscapes, rather than wide angle. The 100mm Makro was my favorite for 6x6 and 135mm for 6x7. These rendered shots closer to the way I perceived them. The wide angle lenses on POV cameras such as the GoPro seem to be meant to capture as much of the visual field as possible, with the hope getting something of what you want in the shot. The implication, is that you will fix things in post processing.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

H20doctor wrote:well there isnt anything fancy about this video, ive watched it like 3 times and asked my self why am i even sharing it ?
Really? Nothing Fancy? As a new diver, that is what one can only hope to see someday. Thank you for sharing it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Chris, that's an great video, it made me add the site to my bucket list! I enjoy all your videos, in particular when you have a scooter mounted gopro and we go for a ride!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I like it too. I have never dove this site but think I might like to now. I really liked the school of Perch, that must have been awesome to be surrounded by all those fish.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

like i said , im the type of guy who just wants to do quick editing and call it a day... i think i will just use the gopro for wide shots only like i used to do, and use my canon vixia Hf20 to handle the good stuff that i know the gopro cant do ...thank you everyone for the Kudos..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Quick editing, oxymoron.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.