ThThTh Redondo 12/19

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

ThThTh Redondo 12/19

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
Scubie Doo, EJ, pogiguy05, Hoodsport_Diver, Chris (sorry, forgot the username), and I went to Redondo tonight.

Here were some of the sights:

The lumpies were still in force! I think this one is accustomed to divers because it kept chasing me!
DSC_3249.jpg
Lots of small octos (this one with a teeny hermit crab at its doorstep too)
DSC_3211.jpg
Check out this amazing snail fish. I've never seen one like this before. It was much bigger than most snailfish, about as big as my hand!
DSC_3225.jpg
This is the same grunt sculpin that Jesse took a picture of last week (http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22148). Looks like it now has a scar on it. Caused by the fish lice?
DSC_3191.jpg
One of my favorite critters, plainfin midshipmen (juveniles) were in abundance. I think the rows of spots are supposed to be bioluminescent.
DSC_3174.jpg
Jeff spotted this guy
DSC_3160.jpg
And lots more! The seastars were in much worse shape now than a month ago.
DSC_3131.jpg
Great diving! Great meeting Chris. Beer and laughs after!
Last edited by YellowEye on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: ThThTh Redondo 12/19

Post by pogiguy05 »

Totally agree a great crisp night air and I believe that was about a 1:15 dive. Still sad to see all the dead sea stars. Water temp was 46 degrees and I noticed about 30 minutes in I was cold, but hey we roll like that in the PNW. :pirate:

I also seen a very small fish fry of some kind at the start of the dive. It was in the water column right about mask level and buzzed by me. Probably was not happy being lit up for all to see. :BDub:

Great to see everyone and if we ever get to do 2 dives i will bring canopy and mr heater. :smt064
Jeff Castor
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

ThThTh Redondo 12/19

Post by Scubie Doo »

Great Job Eric!!! Great dive with the team.

Boy, I got skunked on photos. It was one of my worst photo dives in a while. Nothing specific, just in a funk. I only took 14-15 shots. I usually take about 30-40. Anyway, here is the one cool photo I got :-) Have a great weekend everyone.

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots guys. I wish I could have been there. Next time!
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

It was a great night, indeed. I enjoyed meeting you, pogiguy05 and redman. The photos turned out well. I was surprised that we didn't have more current as a result of the ebb...

I will miss next week (celebrating Christmas with family) but hope to join you all on Jan 2. I'm really looking forward to meeting Mr Heater - with the temps <30 an external source of heat would be welcome.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Anybody have any idea what this critter is that Jeff spotted? It looks like something from the movie, The Abyss. Cool pics everyone thanks for sharing them.
ReddMan
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ReddMan »

LowDrag,
I believe that is a juvenile Crystal Jelly. I could be wrong.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

ReddMan wrote:LowDrag,
I believe that is a juvenile Crystal Jelly. I could be wrong.
Thanks...whatever it is, it is really cool looking. I really like it when divers post pic's of these creatures. It is amazing to me that we have creatures like that to look at.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I'm pretty sure that it is the ctenophore Pleurobranchia bachei, also called a sea gooseberry. They are really common in the spring but not often seen at this time of year.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.