Redondo 12/26 - Here you go gdog!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Redondo 12/26 - Here you go gdog!

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders and I hit Redondo after Christmas and had a couple of really good dives. We found several stubbies, lumpies, and the GPO in Bailey's Rock Pile. Overall great night of critters and shooting :-) Here are a few favorites.

This stubby was completely freaked out by my white focus light. It turned bright white and spit something out.

Here is what it spit out. I felt bad interrupting its dinner time, so I moved on :-)

Here is a cute little lumpie we found.

This shrimp was at the pipe. I was actually shooting a grunt sculpin and this critters swam right in front of me.

This stubby did not spit its dinner out :-)

Here is a nice little stubby that was about 10-12' in the water column.

I took a ton of this stubby. In every photo the two tentacles were sticking out. I had never seen this before.

Have a great New Year everyone.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 12/26 - Here you go gdog!

Post by Grateful Diver »

There were actually three GPO's at the rock piles on Saturday ... I'm real happy to see them moving into the condos I built for them last winter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Grateful Diver wrote:There were actually three GPO's at the rock piles on Saturday ... I'm real happy to see them moving into the condos I built for them last winter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Very cool. I only saw one, but didn't look too hard. I wanted to get shallow to see some PSL. I did see that the Grunt Sculpin was pushed out of its nest and another fish moved in. The Grunt was around the back of the pipe. Not sure if it was attacked or not.

BTW - Thanks for putting up those fish condos. I am curious about your thoughts on some of those large ropes towards the bottle field. They seem like they could be dangerous and do not seem to be serving a purpose. I always see fishing line getting snagged on them. I am referring to the ones sticking up into the water column, not the guide ropes to the condos. I always steer clear of them, but I have heard of folks getting fins snagged on them.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Lol. I'm one of those guys. Not really sure how I managed it, but just floating by the rope, trying to shoot a nudi hiding under it. Next thing I know I have the rope wrapped around my ankle. Of course when I turned to see what was going on, I turned in the wrong direction and wrapped it even more. I got out, but left a huge silt cloud doing so!
Bob, I also want to thank you for the condos you built. A very nice addition to the neighborhood!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jesse, that shot of the stubby eating the shrimp is cool, and I really like the little stubby with the rigid tentacle. It must have been attracted to you?!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Yeah, I was thinking of you George. It could be easy to get snagged in those, and cutting out of that rope could prove difficult if you really got tangled up.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Jesse, that shot of the stubby eating the shrimp is cool, and I really like the little stubby with the rigid tentacle. It must have been attracted to you?!
:luv:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

badass pics :supz: wish there was that sort of vis were I dive
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Those ropes are the remains of the anchors for those white floating things that used to be out by the boat ramp to help guide the boats in. They took them out a couple years ago and just left the ropes in the water ... out of sight, out of mind.

I don't worry about them ... I know they're there and just avoid them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Grateful Diver wrote:Those ropes are the remains of the anchors for those white floating things that used to be out by the boat ramp to help guide the boats in. They took them out a couple years ago and just left the ropes in the water ... out of sight, out of mind.

I don't worry about them ... I know they're there and just avoid them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Gotcha. I do avoid them. They just seem dangerous, that's all.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jesse Those 2 shrimp shots are epic! That first one looks like a contest winner to me! I love the light pattern in the eye and the prismatic effects on the higthlights :notworthy:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Jesse Those 2 shrimp shots are epic! That first one looks like a contest winner to me! I love the light pattern in the eye and the prismatic effects on the higthlights :notworthy:
Thanks a million Rich, much appreciated.

It's funny. You take shot after shot, trying to get something special and a darn shrimp swims in front of the camera. I thought, oh well might as well take a picture of it. :)
ejrauschl
Avid Diver

Post by ejrauschl »

Great photos Jesse and your captions made me laugh. Love the one of the stubbie eating the shrimp!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

ejrauschl wrote:Great photos Jesse and your captions made me laugh. Love the one of the stubbie eating the shrimp!
Thanks EJ. Nice diving with you again last night.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Your pic's are always amazing...thanks again for posting them. Really cool!!!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LowDrag wrote:Your pic's are always amazing...thanks again for posting them. Really cool!!!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the positive comments :)