Warren Car visit

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Warren Car visit

Post by Norris »

Well after lots of drills, passing bottles back and forth and enough S-drills to choke a horse I am finally able to dive technical limits. Great instructor, great dives, passed exam, checkout dives and I am finally done.
I was certified in 2008 and shortly after I attended a NWDC club dive and met quite a bit of people. I was sitting in a chair and listening to a man by the name of John Rawlings :rawlings: tell the story of playing a role uncovering the mystery of the Warren Car, which disappeared in the 1920's. I was in awe and it was then that I realized my direction with SCUBA. I would dive that one day! This car was way out of rec limits and it would take some additional training in order to safely visit it.
Well years later and when I felt that I was comfortable with being underwater, my trim, my piece of mind, and sneak-reading and observation of what will be expected of me as I approach technical diving, I did some research and located an instructor that I wanted to work with.
Long story short I know more about bubbles and different laws that I ever thought I would. I gave myself headaches assuring that I understood what I was being taught. I spent countless hours planning dives on my own just to see the outcome. I did not use tables on any of the exams, I learned the math as this is what I wanted out of the class. (mind you I will be using some tables/tools NOW)
Last Saturday I dived the Warren Car @ 170ffw and it was all that I expected. I was able to experience it with some cool people and the viz was fantastic. The lake was calm as glass, the weather was mild. I don't really know how to put into words what I was feeling but lets just say MILESTONE dive for me. To see that vehicle and know the story and the mystery behind it was an experience I will never forget. For being there as long as it has it is in pretty damn good shape. Much of the wood flooring is still intact, as is the rubber on the wheels and other features. I really look forward to other technical dives and plan to do them as often as possible.
There is still plenty of room for rec dives and photography/video, Bubbles and Suds, and just plain critter viewing, but nice to know that I have options.
Thanks NWDC as if it wasn't for this group my networking wouldn't have been so successful.
Thanks Sound Aquatics for taking me on and Scott Christopher for being an outstanding instructor.

p.s. and I thought just being a SCUBA diver was expensive.....whew

edit: Added Johns name to this, after receiving permission to do so. He is a friend today and I am glad to be able to share with him the experience.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Warren Car visit

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

What was the water temps, both deep, and up top from the melt? We're looking at going back there again soon.

BTW congrats.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

As far as I saw it was very similar to the Sound. About 42-45 degrees
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Congrats :notworthy: !
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Congratulations!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Norris wrote:As far as I saw it was very similar to the Sound. About 42-45 degrees
thx, was wondering with the Melt and run off, if the top layer was really cold for deco.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Congratulations!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Awesome! I love the story and intrigue of this car as well. So glad you got to see it up close and personal! CONGRATS Rick!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Congrats, Rick!

That's a quintessential tec dive in pnw!

You were for sure in good hands with Scott!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Congratulations! I'd like to hear more about the technical planning and preparation, if you're willing to share.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Love this post. :) I remember my first dive on the cars and it was pure magic even with a semi-flooded drysuit...

I had the great fortune of diving quite a bit with John Rawlings back when I was still a newb and hearing him talk about Lake Crescent definitely had a role in my signing up for tech training...

And +1 to you being in good hands with Scott Christopher. He's a great teacher and I've seen a lot of outstanding divers emerge from his classes over the years.

So glad you had fun! And congrats! Look forward to enjoying that dive with friends again soon.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Loved the story. I felt the same way about finally getting to dive the caves in Mexico. There's just such incredible joy in setting yourself a specific goal like that, and then doing all the work that's involved in getting there, and finding, once you do, that it was all worth it. Thanks for the tale!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks everyone. I have enough footage and photos to make a video. I will post when I am done. Looking forward to expanding my dive site list!!!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Congrats!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Did Ricky get to go?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ricky Redondo? Matt is the owner of that little fellah
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Congratulations, Rick! I'm happy for you! :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote:Ricky Redondo? Matt is the owner of that little fellah
He's been vacationing with Bob Bailey for a long time now. In fact, I think Bob may have adopted him since I haven't heard anything in a while....
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Congrats Rick!!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nice post Norris! Made me feel like I was there. Its a real interesting dive. Congrats!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Woohoo! Congrats! I'm not even yet feeling the pull to the dark side of tech diving because I know I still got WAY too much to learn in rec limits before I go to the Warren Car... A man has to know his limitations, especially in this sport... but your accomplishment is something to be cherished and it's exciting to hear about.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

decided to throw a video together. As I want to remember this one

phpBB [video]
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

Excellent video!! Thanks for sharing.
I doubt I will ever be diving to those kind of depths, but it sure is cool to see what's down there.

Chris
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Pretty dang cool video!! the music and the your adventure makes me reminisce about the "Firefly" series on TV..

nice job Norris!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White