Illahee State Park and Town Dock/Tire Reef

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Illahee State Park and Town Dock/Tire Reef

Post by Jeremy »

One thing about doing dives out of the Fischnaller book is that you never know what you are going to find. Who would have thought skates would be the order of the day at Fox Island Bridge? Or that Scenic Beach would have an entire forest of sea whips over six feet tall?

I've come to love mud and sand sites. And I've come to love the journey getting to them. I can barely keep track of how many different parks I've visited the last year diving Fischnaller dives....and most of these parks are drop dead gorgeous!

Illahee State Park is no exception. And Saturday it seemed we had it all to ourselves. Oyster shells littered the beach, moon jellies were drifting by, and the viz looked excellent from the dock.

As usual I didn't know what to expect but immediately discovered the theme of the day: shaggy mouse nudibranchs. Thousands of them. Some stacked in piles a foot high. Egg ribbons on every piling, sometimes streaming off in the current like wisps of string. And the pilings themselves were caked with life. What an enjoyable dive!

Then the Illahee town pier....we entered and was expecting a tire reef. Here too the pilings were loaded with life. We found the tire reef and it went on...and on...and on...I checked my gage....brrr! It was 45 degrees! Time to head back. More moon jellies, large schools of fish, tubeworm bouquets everywhere.

Had a great time!

http://youtu.be/VLIuDoHeNFU
[youtube]http://youtu.be/VLIuDoHeNFU[/youtube]
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Illahee State Park and Town Dock/Tire Reef

Post by LowDrag »

I like the video, thanks for posting it for us to watch. There were a ton of cool things to look at there. Looks I have added another site to look into.

Dave
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Brrr? Thought you were toasty warm?? Is that wetsuit getting a big tired? ;;)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

New custom drysuit gets here in March. :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeremy wrote:New custom drysuit gets here in March. :)
Just in time to go on the shelf for all that summer wetsuit diving :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.