Diving Whytecliff and Porteau Cove

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mheyns
Avid Diver

Diving Whytecliff and Porteau Cove

Post by mheyns »

I've had to come up to Vancouver for a work-visa appointment, and since I have to wait up here until they return my passport I figured I might as well get in a little bit of diving. :-)

Met up with a local on Thursday at Whytecliff for two dives. The first was at the Daymarker or Anemone Gardens. Excellent dive. The top 10-20ft had quite the halocline, as in I was almost convinced I was going blind since it seemed to last for a good 10ft in the vertical column. I guess there must have been a lot of rain before I came? After about 20-25ft however it just OPENED UP.

40 feet of visibility easily, as we swam around the wall to the anemone gardens. Beautiful site, and it was fun to dive a pseudo-wall for a change rather than the sloping bottoms I mostly dive around Seattle.
G0140403.JPG
No good pics from that dive yet, apologies, my GoPro was acting up something awful.

After that dive we decided to dive The Cut, again at Whytecliff. Very fun dive, the viz was again excellent, well over 40ft and this was a much more prominent wall feature so it was a blast to swim around the wall, check out the cloud sponges and anemones in abundance. Hit 103ft at this site and the viz and light penetration were still going strong.

Video to come probably, but again, GoPro was acting up. :-\

Overall Whytecliff proved to be a fun series of dives, the halocline made for an interesting visual experience and the great viz and wall features were a lovely change of pace from the soup we've been seeing in the Sound!

Today I just had time for one dive at Porteau Cove. This is hands down my favorite site so far, and conveniently happens to be where I'm camping! As an aside, excellent campgrounds. Worth a visit even if you aren't diving; close to the Britannia Mine museum which was a great little tour, within 10 minutes of the Stawamus Chief, the second largest granite massive in the world and climbing/hiking heaven, and 20 minutes from Horseshoe Bay and Whytecliff.
carprep.jpg
Got in the water and headed out to the closer dive buoy to shore. The site map (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... diving.pdf) proved invaluable and I spent some time tinkering around the pile reef, getting my bearings and then set off following the tire reef so carefully placed in the direction of the Grant Hall and Centennial III. The pile reef, concrete structure reef and tire reefs are all worth seeing in their own right. Compared to EUP, the structures are far more visible and less covered by various marine fauna which make for a different experience. Very fun navigating around all of the structures placed at Porteau. Came upon the Centennial III about 22 minutes into the dive and spent some time there. The Centennial III is an 11m steel dredge tender and pretty impressive as a wreck. In PNW waters I really only have the Honeybear as a reference, and this was leagues cooler in my opinion. Fully intact, the pilot house was impressively covered with anemones and the ship was no small dingy either!
Centennial III.jpg
(P.S. Shoutout to Dusty. Your light is, as always, my favorite piece of kit. Great light!)

At this point I decided to come back for the Grant Hall and the rest of the site another day, since this dive was merely meant as a reconnaissance dive anyway. Satisfied with my little adventure I returned the way I came and surface at almost exactly the 40min mark.

One point I will add, there was again what seemed to be a sort of halocline present at Porteau. Though not as obvious as Whytecliff, below 20ft and looking upwards there was an ever-present white cloud-like layer above my head. Reminded me a little of the H2S layers in some of the cenotes down south. I suspect it's just a different manifestation of the halocline, but it was trippy to see at times. As I ascended past 20ft or so I could distinctly notice the difference as I passed through the layer. I heard that the water pollution from mine runoff has only recently been improved significantly through treatment to healthier levels and some part of me thought that perhaps it was a chemical layer left-over from the mining days. It was a very small part and I never took it seriously. :-P

Anyway, that's my report for you. If you're up in the area on Saturday or Sunday I'll be diving off the Topline (Sea Dragon charters) and the more the merrier. :-) Not a bad work trip so far!

I'll upload video next week most likely once I've been able to process it all.

Happy diving!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving Whytecliff and Porteau Cove

Post by LCF »

Nice report! I've only been to Whitecliff once, and the hike to the water was a bit formidable (in doubles, with deco bottles) but the diving was wonderful. I've never done Porteau Cove -- sounds like I've missed something!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Porteau Cove would be a memorable place to do an NWDC camping trip. But it's a severely popular place during the summer, and reservations are needed for the campground. Better to go shortly before Memorial Day week-end, or just after Labor Day week-end.

For those with a small boat ... outstanding diving nearby, outside the park. Thunder Wall is just around the corner, and if a train comes by while you're on the wall, you'll find out how it got its name ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report!

I'm going to try and get to both places this Summer, most likely mid-week to cut down on crowds.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman