Three Tree 6/5 - Nudibranch ID Please

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Three Tree 6/5 - Nudibranch ID Please

Post by Scubie Doo »

Hit TTN with EJ this evening, also met up with Keith for an after dive drink :-)

Overall good dive. Lumpies everywhere. I will post some more pics later. However, I came across a Nudi I have never seen. Rich, any ideas what this one is? Couldn't find it in any of my books. Saw it at about 60' on a piece of red kelp. It was very tough to photograph. It was about 1" Long.

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Three Tree 6/5 - Nudibranch ID Please

Post by Scubie Doo »

A few more pics from the dive.

Baby Sailfin Sculpin. Was about 1-1/2" long

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Cool stuff. That nudie is spectacular! I am thinking Dendronotus venustus but it sure is atypical . I'll forward it over to Dave Behrens and see what he has to say.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Cool stuff. That nudie is spectacular! I am thinking Dendronotus venustus but it sure is atypical . I'll forward it over to Dave Behrens and see what he has to say.
Thanks Rich. Let me know what you find out. I was pretty sure this was a unique find. I've never seen anything like it not even in the hundreds of photos I have viewed over the years.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I don't know what it is, but those are some hella spectacular pictures!!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

[quote="eliseaboo"]I don't know what it is, but those are some hella spectacular pictures!!

You should get into your car and drive to until you hit the pacific ocean of something :luv: :neener:
Jeff Castor
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

pogiguy05 wrote:
eliseaboo wrote:I don't know what it is, but those are some hella spectacular pictures!!

You should get into your car and drive to until you hit the pacific ocean of something :luv: :neener:
I think it's only like 30 hours....
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Well guy, Dave seems to think my call is right but he said he has never seen one that color before so we cant be sure. It's one of those that doesn't fit well in the normal descriptions because of color but color isn't a very good ID on marine critters.

Wish you had done some with greater depth of field. They are spectacular art shots but tough from the ID viewpoint.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Well guy, Dave seems to think my call is right but he said he has never seen one that color before so we cant be sure. It's one of those that doesn't fit well in the normal descriptions because of color but color isn't a very good ID on marine critters.

Wish you had done some with greater depth of field. They are spectacular art shots but tough from the ID viewpoint.
I hear ya Rich. I should have closed the aperture a bit for sure. I will go back through to see if I got something better to help ID this. Thanks for checking with Dave.