Sund Rock: 6-13-14: Cloud Sponges!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Here's the video:
phpBB [video]

I'd been hearing rumors of cloud sponges at Sund for some time now.
So.....on Fri I met up with Deepbludvr and we headed out to the rock.
Got there early and Pete shows up and says "hey, do you want to see some cloud sponges?"

:taco: :partydance: :) :joshsmith:

Found them! Way cool. Good size and in good shape.
Ended up doing another dive since we had the site to ourselves until about 1pm.
Viz was good, a little hazy from 20-40fsw, but ok otherwise.

Happy diving!
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Cool video! :)
Last edited by Scubie Doo on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Re: Sund Rock: 6-13-14: Cloud Sponges!

Post by PapaZ »

Nice!

:) :bye:
deepbludvr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by deepbludvr »

The sponges were very cool! Great diving with you; nice weather and good vis what's not to like?
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Wow very cool video! What depth did you find the sponges? Looks like there were several! And a pair of wolfies as well. Good dive. How do you get your videos so stable? Mine are all over the place lol.....
deepbludvr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by deepbludvr »

The sponges were at about 110' and there were 3 of them. It was fun watching him shoot the video and doging his fins... :)
deepbludvr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by deepbludvr »

Ah, make that dodging...
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Goodt_godiving wrote:Wow very cool video! What depth did you find the sponges? Looks like there were several! And a pair of wolfies as well. Good dive. How do you get your videos so stable? Mine are all over the place lol.....
:)
lots of practice.

fin dodging? Yeah, my head found one on the way down I think (my bad!)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
deepbludvr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by deepbludvr »

Naw, would've helped if I was taking pictures rather than trying to look over your shoulder; consider that an adjustment period
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I enjoyed that vid a lot MZ, well done.

Beautiful cloud sponges, great shot of the lions mane....and the ending was pretty funny. :)
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

We've been watching this group of sponges for more than a decade. They've been nearly obliterated by touching and/or accidental kicking and of course the normal natural hazards sponges face. Over the last 5 or so years they've gone from football size to this bosu ball size.....

Great vid MZ... as we've come to expect from ya! :)
keep em' coming, they're always enjoyable.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Waynne Fowler wrote:We've been watching this group of sponges for more than a decade. They've been nearly obliterated by touching and/or accidental kicking and of course the normal natural hazards sponges face.
Sigh... I remember watching an instructor unaware of where their fins were as they turned around take a good hunk out of a cloud sponge on a deep wall some years ago. Sigh...

I know I've destroyed my share of wildlife rototilling over years, but sure try hard not to do so and wish others would do the same.
Waynne Fowler wrote: Over the last 5 or so years they've gone from football size to this bosu ball size.....
Now this is really cool! Interesting to see their growth rate.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Tom Nic wrote:...I know I've destroyed my share of wildlife rototilling over years, but sure try hard not to do so and wish others would do the same...
AMEN!!!
:angelblue:
Check out the VIDEOS!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Awesome find! Never seen cloud sponges in the Hood before.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Tom Nic wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:We've been watching this group of sponges for more than a decade. They've been nearly obliterated by touching and/or accidental kicking and of course the normal natural hazards sponges face.
Sigh... I remember watching an instructor unaware of where their fins were as they turned around take a good hunk out of a cloud sponge on a deep wall some years ago. Sigh...

I know I've destroyed my share of wildlife rototilling over years, but sure try hard not to do so and wish others would do the same.
Waynne Fowler wrote: Over the last 5 or so years they've gone from football size to this bosu ball size.....
Now this is really cool! Interesting to see their growth rate.
I don't think there are too many of us that haven't done MORE than our share of 'accidental maiming' while we learn proper buoyancy control.( I sometimes have nightmares about animals I've maimed coming in my house and crawling all up and down my face! ) While it's never cool, we all have to crawl before we can walk. The good news is that more and more instructors in our area try to get the kiddies to walk BEFORE they are unleashed in the ocean. As more people become eco conscious they will take their business away from those shops that do not require this. Hopefully we will see a shift from shops who simply see students as a wallet to be emptied and will focus on creating conscientious, thoughtful divers.
Yes.... I have a dream!

I have been AMAZED at the speed these things grow. And as a cool side note... they apparently grow very well (maybe ONLY) over old dead stock, so they have found a way to turn the bad in their favor.... or at least that is what research into cloud sponges has revealed - if someone knows different I'd sure love to know.

Again... amazing video Mr. Z.....
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Tangfish wrote:Awesome find! Never seen cloud sponges in the Hood before.
You NEED to come home and do The Knuckle at Flagpole Tang... OMG! Spectacular....

Mike ... you need to give Mr. T and anyone else who's not seen them a show! :)
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Tangfish wrote:Awesome find! Never seen cloud sponges in the Hood before.
You NEED to come home and do The Knuckle at Flagpole Tang... OMG! Spectacular...

+100 for Flagpole.
Get Don Coleman to take you there next time you're on the boat.
Check out the VIDEOS!