Diving "Northwest Shore Dives" in the San Juans

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Diving "Northwest Shore Dives" in the San Juans

Post by Jeremy »

Over the last weekend dwinslow1, coulterboy, Doug, Michael, and I spent some time time diving Fischnaller's San Juan dives. The truck was filled with 16 tanks and we set off at about 5:00AM Friday morning for San Juan Island.

San Juan County Park: our first dive of the trip. The park was filled with curious campers who all wanted to chat with the divers about what we see down there. Entering the water near the kayak launch we stuck to the north wall working our way around to the open sea before hitting our turn pressure. Boulders, kelp forests, 6 ft eel grass, and tons of hatched shrimp greeted us. A fantastic way to start the morning.

Lime Kiln State Park: Long walk and tricky entry with plenty of sharp basaltic rock to navigate. The ranger asked if we knew what we were doing. "Yes"', I lied. She said "good, because we have 8kt currents here that move in different directions and drag you straight down the wall for hundreds of feet. A diver was here 3 weeks ago and said he would never dive here again." Ooookaaayyyy!!! I picked a low exchange day so was willing to go for it and BOOOMMMM!!!! Zilch for current and a thoroughly enjoyable dive on the wall. Orca sightings had been made a few hours earlier but alas they were gone for our dive. We had a great lunch there at the park.

Deadman Bay: it was quickly becoming apparent that Fischnaller doesn't mind lengthy hikes to his dives. Sporting a set of doubles on this dive is health enhancing! Once at the bay we made our way through kelp forests and eel grass until opening up to a large boulder field and giant urchins full of color. This dive just kept getting better and better!! We had to turn it eventually though and made our way back. A magnificent dive!!

Eagle Cove: ahhhh....the longest hike to a dive site yet! No matter. We donned our tanks and entered the water. All I can say is that the next 80 minutes were some of the best diving I've ever had. A puget sound king crab nearly 2 ft across, a second puget sound king crab, octos, wolfies, lings, urchins, it went on and on. Magic, that's what it was. At the end of our hike back up to the cars, the lady with a house next to the park even offered to let us sleep in her house as we seemed like "reasonable people". Island life....pretty sweet!

South Beach: dive 5 of the day was surftastic! The south side of the island is exposed to wind related waves so we battled through the surf to see an expanse of sand such as one might expect if one imagined miles of flat sand. Here and there we saw a flounder. Perhaps a bed of eel grass. We exited crawling for our lives giving all our gear a nice sandy rinse to end the day.

Dinner and sleep!

Day 2

Reuben Tarte Picnic Area: what a frigging great dive. We headed north along the wall, had some fun mini canyons to pull through and had a great 70 min in the water. Reminded me a lot of Z's reef. All natural, plus some great walls. Definitely would like to do this again.

Ferry to Orcas Island then,
Brown Rock: after visiting the 80 year old resort owner we made the fitness improving 30 min surface swim out to Brown Rock in Obstruction Passage. Dropping at the rock we dove clockwise eventually reaching walls and boulders at 50fsw+. The current toyed with us back and forth as we inspected all the hiding spots in the purple boulders and wall. We headed back after having a great dive.

Doe Bay: here we crashed a wedding. Again, the divers were the talk of the event. Everyone wanted to know what we see under the water. We looked for some lost item from a sailboat and then traveled along the south wall to see kelp forests. There are actually plenty of deer here - the bay is well named! An especially scenic dive site. Would be fun to stay here with the family.

We stopped in Eastsound for dinner. Roasted pig on a spit was being served free of charge and was unbelievably delicious. Pizza, IPA, roasted pig. Holy smokes. Then we overnighted at the Golden Tree Hostel where we slept in the oft of a barn. This had a clothing optional sauna and hottub - fun fact.

Day 3

Ferry to Lopez Island. Then,
Odlin County Park: horses greeted us as we dropped into the water near the fishing pier. Moving north next to the wall we experienced strong current and called the dive somewhat early. The wall was impressive but it looks like you would want to only do this dive near slack. Saw alexit's reserved campsite....sorry we missed you!!

Agate Beach County Park: with Shark Fin rock in the distance we submerged in this protected bay to again see endless shrimp hatchlings. They were everywhere! Unfortunately the viz soon turned to milky white so we didn't get to see much...could barely see our own buddies. Very scenic dive site....Canada is visible in the distance.

Checked out Spencer Pit State Park but the 800 yard+ hike was too much to do in doubles which is all we had left. A very doable dive...but next time I will bring a red wagon as Mr Fischnaller suggests. :)

Such was the weekend, 10 dive sites in all. Fantastic time, I recommend it! :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving "Northwest Shore Dives" in the San Juans

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report!

Well done for grabbing the book and going for it. Wish I could have joined you, although a few of those dives would have probably killed me ....on the surface.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Thanks Tom...you would have been fine :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Great report! Sounds like my kind of adventure :) I'll have to try a few of these sites.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Holy cow! Sounds like an awesome trip!

Which of these do you think provided the best balance of ease of entry, and great diving?

Thanks!
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I got a laugh out of diving doubles at several of these sites. They are lp72 vintage sites!! :joshsmith:

Only 2 more words, boat and scooter :rjack:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Great report Jeremy sounds like a stellar weekend!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Awesome report Jeremy. Lime kiln and Doe bay are two of my all time favs. Deadmans bay can be tricky good job on setting it up!

Thanks for the fun read.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I am SO incredibly sad at having to sit this trip out at work. But I'm awfully glad that I now have a resource to talk to about logistics for diving up there! Figuring out shore diving in the San Juans would be nice, because I don't like the charter boat which is the only one we have left in the islands.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I went camping at Spencer Spit last summer and was quite curious about what the diving would be like there. The water was clear and current was noticeable but not bad. I can see why it would be a hike though.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

LCF wrote:I am SO incredibly sad at having to sit this trip out at work. But I'm awfully glad that I now have a resource to talk to about logistics for diving up there! Figuring out shore diving in the San Juans would be nice, because I don't like the charter boat which is the only one we have left in the islands.
Actually you have two options for Charters in the SJI's; LuJac Quest and Banditos - LuJac runs trips to the islands year round and Banditos runs charters in late spring, summer and early fall.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've never found out about the Bandito dates until the boats are full. Those trips are POPULAR!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

BOOOOOOOOOOOM! :)

Awesome write up, Jeremy, and thanks for sharing. Kudos on ticking off a healthy chunk of Fischnaller awesomeness. Looked to be the perfect weekend for it between topside sunshine and current predictions.

Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

As Richard points out, Fischnaller did these dives back in the days when single Steel 72's and AL80's were the norm :) I've used single HP80's on several of them and don't remember the hikes being memorable. I giggle at the thought of doubles on them tho..

Great report!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

ljjames wrote:As Richard points out, Fischnaller did these dives back in the days when single Steel 72's and AL80's were the norm :) I've used single HP80's on several of them and don't remember the hikes being memorable. I giggle at the thought of doubles on them tho..

Great report!!!
What single steel 72's are not the norm now?????????????? :eek: :dontknow:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Wow sounds like an amazing trip! Great report thanks for sharing.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Doe Bay
Doe Bay
When was the last time you did something for the first time?