SJI 8/31

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

SJI 8/31

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I joined Barb Roy with Orca Oceanic Diving & Photography (a new shop in Bellingham), along with Craig M and several new friends on a trip to the Lu Jaq's Sunday, in the San Juan Islands. It was a beautiful day -- perfect weather with lots of seals, bald eagles, and beautiful clouds and sailboats to see on the surface interval. The sites we hit were a pinnacle called Dennis's Shoal (sp?) and a small pinnacle just west of Colville Island, which is near Davidson Rock south of Lopez. Both these sites were new to me, and I really enjoyed them. Barb is a fantastic guide -- I really recommend joining her, and she has some great trips coming up. Here were some of the sights!
DSC_8031.jpg
DSC_8178.jpg
DSC_8258.jpg
DSC_8270.jpg
DSC_8293.jpg
DSC_8317.jpg
DSC_8329.jpg
DSC_8381.jpg
DSC_8405.jpg
DSC_8422.jpg
DSC_8444.jpg
DSC_8567.jpg
DSC_8649.jpg
DSC_8655.jpg
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: SJI 8/31

Post by BillZ »

Nice Photos Eric! I can't remember seeing very many Wolfies in the San Juans - Great find!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

nice work :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Spectacular photos!!! So much color down there!! Those Octo photos are crazy!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very cool Eric!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Love the octo pictures! Thanks for sharing your dive report!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Marvelous photos, as always! When I get my hand back, I'd really like to do another dive with you. I have told the story of our wonderful hour and a half at Redondo more times than I can count.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I agree, those are some really cool pics. I showed them to my wife and said I want pic's like that of us. Awesome pic's!!!

How deep were you at on these dives? Only asking so I know if I am able to do this set of dives or if we need some more experience first.

Thanks,
Dave
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

LowDrag wrote:I agree, those are some really cool pics. I showed them to my wife and said I want pic's like that of us. Awesome pic's!!!

How deep were you at on these dives? Only asking so I know if I am able to do this set of dives or if we need some more experience first.

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks Dave, glad you like.

I enjoyed taking the diver photos. I haven't done many diver photos. Usually, and even on this dive, when I take diver photos, I feel some are bothered by it or not interested. So if you're willing to model, I'm happy to take photos of you! :)

The best diving in the San Juans is about 50-75 feet, and there's also good stuff from 30-50. The last two shots above were at 30. There can be some current (including waterfall or upwell currents), open water conditions, boats, kelp and it can get very dark so it helps to have some dives under your belt.

Below are 2 more diver shots that I got on this trip that I didn't upload....
DSC_8460.jpg
DSC_8472.jpg
Kind of fun! I'm going to have to do more of those!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

great shots. looks like the water was clear enough to even use the wide angle :supz:
It's a good day.... nobody died!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Those last two shots are really cool too!!! We will definitely have to work something out some time. It sounds like my wife and I need some more time in the water before going to the SJI's. She has 15 dives and I have 27 so not quite there yet. No worries though, it will come with time.

Thanks for posting these really cool pic's!!!