Sund Rock 1/17/15

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock 1/17/15

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders and I hit Sund Rock yesterday for a couple dives. The first dive took us to the deep cloud sponges and up to the South Wall. On this dive I used my wide angle lens, and I am glad I did. I wanted to capture the cloud sponges. However, we had an unexpected encounter with a very large GPO. Here are a few shots from dive #1.

The second dive we hit the north wall. I switched to macro on this dive. We saw a free swimming wolf eel, a wolf eel on eggs, and several other cool critters. Also, the wolf eel in the pipe on the north side of the wreck is still there. It has been there for a year. Here are a few macro shots.

Here is the wolf in the pipe yesterday.

Here is the same wolfie in Jan 2014.

Good diving with you Penders and great seeing Mr. Bailey and Mr. Carter out at Sund. Have an awesome week!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock 1/17/15

Post by pogiguy05 »

Nice pics and if you dont already know they are counting the GPO's this weekend Friday- Sunday. http://www.seattleaquarium.org/octopus-census

The viz looks awesome. :eric:
Jeff Castor
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

pogiguy05 wrote:Nice pics and if you dont already know they are counting the GPO's this weekend Friday- Sunday. http://www.seattleaquarium.org/octopus-census

The viz looks awesome. :eric:
Thanks Jeff. Viz was a good 25'.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

OMG, those octo photos are contest quality. I can't even decide which one I like best; the first is utterly fabulous, but my husband sharks (enviously) that the metridium is a bit blown out. My answer was, "Who's looking at the anemone?". The third one has astonishing texture and color. You must have had fun shooting those, because I sure had fun looking at them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool!
I like octo #2!!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Very cool shots, Scubie!

You nailed it perfectly, breaking out the WA lens for the first dive. I might have to steal one of those to use as an avatar pic!

I recently picked up a new camera rig, jumping into the DSLR arena. Saturday at Sund Rock was my 5th and 6th dives with it, and I think I'm finally starting to get it dialed in.

We found several Decorated Warbonnets in the Cloud Sponges on the south wall.
Decorated Warbonnet 2.jpg
Decorated Warbonnet 3.jpg
Decorated Warbonnet 4.jpg
I was shooting with a 60mm macro lens. The GPO we found out in the open on the south wall was huge. This was all I could get a picture of.
GPO 1.jpg
We found another GPO denned up at the base of the north wall.
GPO 3.jpg
Scubie found a skate egg down deep, below the north wall! Not a wonderful picture, but a pretty cool find.
Skate Egg.jpg
Many Monterey Dorids and other cool critters were found throughout the day.
Monterey Dorid 1.jpg
Pair of Monterey Dorids
Pair of Monterey Dorids
Monterey Dorid 4.jpg
Scaleyhead Sculpin.jpg
Anemone 1.jpg
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Awesome work Penders. You are a quick learner. It only took a couple dives to figure your new rig out. I will trade you a Penders/octo shot for the egg casing :)

Btw - love the double nudibranchs and the scalyhead! Great work.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:OMG, those octo photos are contest quality. I can't even decide which one I like best; the first is utterly fabulous, but my husband sharks (enviously) that the metridium is a bit blown out. My answer was, "Who's looking at the anemone?". The third one has astonishing texture and color. You must have had fun shooting those, because I sure had fun looking at them.
Thank you so much, I appreciate the kind words. And your husband is right, that anemone is blown out :) It bothered me, but I didn't want to photoshop it out. Also, my left strobe was a little strong while shooting the octo, but it was on the move and it was difficult to adjust.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Very cool!
I like octo #2!!
Thanks Eric. WA is such a difficult animal :)
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Jesse - I really like your third GPO shot. Nice green water in the background and the 3d texture of the GPO shows up very well. Well done!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KeithBoll wrote:Jesse - I really like your third GPO shot. Nice green water in the background and the 3d texture of the GPO shows up very well. Well done!
Thanks Keith. That's my favorite too :)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ok so I really like the 3rd GPO shot the best. I like Pender's 2nd warbonnet shot best. You guys had a couple epic dives!!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Holy Spock those are epic shots!!!
You guys both did great!
I'm glad you had fun!! I love Sund Rock!
Looking forward to Thursday! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The skate egg case reminds me of a funny story from my Deep Specialty, almost ten years ago now . . . We were on our way back. The AI was trying to wind up the line we had laid, and having a bit of trouble with it. My instructor dives down to the bottom and picks up a big leaf and starts pointing to it, and waving it around like it's something exciting. I'm looking at both of them and thinking, "I must be the ONLY person down here not narced out of her gourd." It was, of course, an egg case, but I didn't know that. I just thought Tim had gone a bit nutty.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Wow, that octo really did come out for you guys. It was just poking a tentative tentacle out for Jody and I when we went by a bit before you guys got there. Octo encounters are always a treat ... as was seeing you guys down there on Saturday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice work penders! I like your #2!
Nice find on the skate eggs... I've never found one of those...
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome shots!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

YellowEye wrote:Nice work penders! I like your #2!
:hah: Am I the ONLY one who got a laugh from this? :huge:

Please forgive me my inner comedian has no filter :popcorn:
Jeff Castor