The Wreck of The General

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
BillZ
Aquanaut

The Wreck of The General

Post by BillZ »

phpBB [video]

http://www.frogkickdiving.com/general.html

The wreck of The General is a 205 ft converted scow that rests in 180 foot of water. It was intentionally sunk in the late 60's by General Howard McGee (know as "The General" by his neighbors) as an artificial reef and fish habitat. The General, an avid fisherman and diver, was frustrated by the lack of decent crabbing and fishing near his property. So, being the neighborhood patriarch and a man used to solving problems, he decided that he would fix the issue and sink an old derelict working scow as an artificial reef and dive site. There was only one problem, the underwater topography in front of the General's neighborhood was steep, sloping from 10 feet at the low water mark to over 200 feet. He would need to be very careful where the wreck was sunk as to not create a navigational hazard or sink the wreck too deep to dive or fish. He selected a depth of 100 ft where a steep underwater slope tapered off and became a gradual descent into deeper water. Unfortunately his plan didn't work, the scow was sunk in its intended location, but continued to slide further down the slope until it eventually came to rest in 180 feet of water between two ridges. General Howard McGee passed away in 2005 and it's unclear if he was ever able to dive his wreck. As people moved in and out of the area, the full story of the General's wreck was passed from neighbor to neighbor and eventually morphed into an urban legend.

This winter Richard, Brian, Jeanna and I located the General while looking for potential Tech 2 divesites. She is covered in a coat of white Plumose Anemone and is home to an amazing variety of Puget Sound life including a pair of curious yelloweye rockfish living in her hull. At the bow of the wreck is a cable locker, various pieces of machinery, as well as a large winch and pulley system that was once used for setting and removing the scow's stabilizing spuds. There is also a debris field upslope of the wreck at 100 ft where The General originally intended to sink her. Penetrating the hull of the wreck is possible in several locations but be forewarned, I wouldn't enter the wreck unless you know what you're doing and have the right equipment and training. This ship has been underwater for 50 years and the slightest touch or even bubbles creates a huge silt storm. Plus after 50 years in salt water the deck could collapse at any time.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: The Wreck of The General

Post by Jeremy »

Congrats on the find!!!

Had a chance to dive this today and wreck is truly bound to become a classic PNW T1 wreck dive. Everyone on my team said they wanted to do it again. The wreck is large and studded with life. Amazing it had gone on for so long without being known as a dive site.

Well done Bill!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Adult yelloweyes? Enough to make me want to do a tech dive :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Beautiful wreck! I'd love to dive that! :-)
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

LCF wrote:Adult yelloweyes? Enough to make me want to do a tech dive :)

Let me know if you'd like a tour :-)
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Very cool! Great vid, thanks!
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!