Another Trip of a Lifetime!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Another Trip of a Lifetime!

Post by Bric Martin »

My buddy and I just returned from a 10 day trip on the Nautilus Explorer. We were diving the Socorro Islands with an unexpected detour into the Sea of Cortez. The trip was amazing!

We boarded the Nautilus Explorer in Cabo San Lucas. We then had a 24 hour crossing to our first stop. We had a calm ocean for our crossing, but the wind was up at our first stop. We started on the island of San Benedicto. We did a checkout dive at a place called the Canyon and then moved over to the Boiler.
IMG_6631.jpg
IMG_6638.jpg
IMG_6650.jpg
The Boiler is a a structure that starts about 15 feet below the surface and drops down on all sides to about 120 feet. At this site we had some really amazing Manta interaction. These Manta's are huge, 12 to 15 feet across. Each dive we were greeted by 5 to 7 of these Manta's. The Manta's are really curious, they swim right up to you and look right into your eyes. I enjoyed the dives at the boiler as much as any on this trip. We spent 2 days diving and then left for Roca Partida.
IMG_6733.jpg
IMG_6974.jpg
IMG_6923.jpg
Roca Partida is an amazing site. It is an exposed rock that drops down to 300 feet with nothing within 75 miles. This trip we were not blessed with the massive schools of sharks, but there were still many sharks. The only big school of sharks that I saw was a big school of Hammerheads that were deeper than me at about 140 feet. I had 2 computers screaming at me as the school streaked by just out of my range. We saw many Silkies, a few Galapagos, some Silver Tips, and had a bunch of White Tip shark interactions.
IMG_6906.jpg
IMG_6748.jpg
IMG_6867.jpg
IMG_6784.jpg
After 3 days of spectacular diving we started hearing about a storm about 700 miles to the south. We moved north and returned to the Boiler. The Manta's seemed to be waiting for our return, the bonus this time was each morning we also had a pod of Dolphins awaiting our arrival. After 2 more days of diving the Boiler we were told that the first named storm of the season, Andreas, was moving our direction. We were forced to move north to the Sea of Cortez.
IMG_6908.jpg
IMG_6918.jpg
IMG_6767.jpg
Moving into the Sea of Cortez we immediately noticed the heat. It was really hot, with no breeze. The skipper worked very hard to keep us happy. We dove La Reyna, Los Ilotes, and a sunken Ferry. The dives were fun and we were entertained by Sealions at Los Islotes. Because of the storm we had to unload in La Paz and travel by van to the airport near Cabo. The Sea of Cortez was the perfect way to end the trip!
IMG_7119.jpg
IMG_7161.jpg
IMG_7160.jpg
The Nautilus Explorer is a great boat. The food is fantastic and the crew is really top notch. The major upgrade for dive safety this trip was the Nautilus Lifeline. Every diver now dives with a Nautilus Lifeline. These are small units with a walkie talkie that allow you to talk to the boat in the case of an emergency. If that fails there is way to start sending your GPS coordinates on the international distress frequency. I really can't say enough great things about the boat operation or this trip. I really hope to go back again!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Another Trip of a Lifetime!

Post by Penopolypants »

Super jealous, this has been on my bucket list for quite a while.

Gorgeous shots, too!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Beautiful! Thanks for the recap and excellent photos!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Beautiful photos and report. Thanks for sharing with us suffering in not so great visibility times :)
And not even close to the awesome creatures you saw ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Awesome trip report, and what huge mantas!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Wow very nice!!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. Great report and great photos.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Great pics and dive report!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Lovely photographic documentation of what is really a fantastic trip. Diving with the manta rays at the Boiler will always be on my list of top dives ever.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Just a couple more pics.
M0014937.jpg
M0015055.jpg
IMG_6871.jpg
The only thing that I didn't see that I was hoping for was a whale shark. I guess I will have to go back!
Bric Martin

RIP LCF
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Thanks for sharing your incredible photos and the lovely narrative! We just booked this trip w/Nautilus for 2016 and I'm happy to see how awesome it promises to be. :) :) :) Woo-woo!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I was on the boat this January. Who were your divemasters?
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:I was on the boat this January. Who were your divemasters?
We had LeAnne and Dave. They did a great job!
Bric Martin

RIP LCF
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Bric Martin wrote:
seattlepaul1975 wrote:I was on the boat this January. Who were your divemasters?
We had LeAnne and Dave. They did a great job!

We had Janice and Liz....I think all the crew on the Explorer are awesome! Was a great time, loved your pics...thanks again for sharing.