Flagpole and Octos with Eggs

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Went with Dale to Flagpole today. Viz was pretty cloudy down to at least 40 feet. We saw several wolf eels out in the open. Not sure if there is an oxygen deprivation thing happening - there are more wolf eels appearing at shallower levels. One adult wolf eel was resting in the open in about 30 feet of water. We were able to take some pics of one of the local octos that has eggs. Enjoy the pics!
Attachments
Clown Nudi on Kelps (1 of 1).jpg
Octo with Eggs (1 of 1).jpg
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: Flagpole and Octos with Eggs

Post by deep diver »

she did have a lot of eggs in there, guess it was worth that 20 minute deco for that picture. My pictures didn't turn out that great, just couldn't get enough light back in there.

Looks like a lot of the eggs were dead, wonder if it has something to do with the oxygen shortage?
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey I really like the Octo pic. More light would have been good but that is sometimes not possible. It's a great shot.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

If you zoom in, it actually looks like there are baby octos in each egg :)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubie Doo wrote:If you zoom in, it actually looks like there are baby octos in each egg :)
You are right. Very cool!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Cool pics!

The octo dens can definitely be a challenge to light. The time it takes to get those photos is why I suggested ScubaJess to start carrying a heavier nitrox mix when we go visit the octomoms at cove2. Interestingly, I didn't notice eyes yet in the cove2 octo nests.

Great lighting on the clown nudi!!

Hope the critters are okay with the low oxygen.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Great pics Keith!
It's always fun to dive with Dale! :)

I noticed the same thing with the wolf eels at Sund Rock yesterday. They were all in the shallows, some big ones just laying in the open. They looked really sad and tired. I'm worried about them. The rock fish also looked like they were working hard to get air. I wish we could bring a fan down there and mix up the water for them. On a positive note there were baby squat lobsters everywhere! They looked happy as ever! Also there where a lot of huge spot prawns up near the shallows in the afternoon, i thought that was kind of strange too.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: