Flower Garden Banks, Texas Caribbean

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Flower Garden Banks, Texas Caribbean

Post by Scubie Doo »

Just returned from a great trip to FGB out of Texas. I have been wanting to do this trip for a long time and we picked the perfect time. Seas were 6"-12" with little to no current. We boarded the MV Fling on 8/28 at about 8:00pm and heading to the Garden Banks. We hit our first five on the 29th at around 7:00am. There was a little current on this site, so we spent a lot of time adjusting and trying to get comfortable. I chose WA for this dive and struggled to get some good shots. Here are a few favorites.

Dive two was at the same site. However, this time, instead of fighting the current we chose to drop immediately and swim under the current. This proved to be a good idea as this dive was a lot more relaxing. There were tons of Lionfish and Barracuda, amongst a ton of coral heads. Again, not a tons of good shots, I was trying to get George to model for me :-)

After dive #2, I took a nap and woke up tied off the an Oil Rig. We were told that the Oil Rigs were no longer an option. The boat was thrilled and the WA choice paid off here. We even swam with (2) sharks around the oil rig.

After lunch we moved to the East Garden Bank for an evening and night dive. As I was in the water for dive #4, the DM hit my camera port against the boat and dislodged it. I jumped out of the water and quickly reset the port. The shield was broken, but the port was in great condition. This would be my last WA dive of the trip.

For the night dive (#5) I went Macro, and boy was I in my element. A Macro night dive was the remedy for a frustrating day of shooting.

This was tiny, could use an ID :-)

During the evening of the 29th we moved to Stetson Bank Buoy #3 for the last two dives. We woke up to an amazing sunrise. The diving here was phenomenal. The first dive we spent relatively shallow, chasing macro critters.

The final dive George and I dropped in on a Manta Ray and Sandbar Shark! It was a truly amazing experience. I got the Manta on video and a rough shot of the Shark with my macro rig. We saw tons of baby Lionfish, I know these are invasive, but they are beautiful.

All in all, this was an amazing trip. We had wonderful conditions and I couldn't ask for a better buddy. I will post a video in the near future. Have an awesome holiday weekend. I will leave you with my absolute favorite shot of the trip.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Flower Garden Banks, Texas Caribbean

Post by Tom Nic »

Jesse - thank you so much for this trip report. This has been on my list for years and I'm so happy you got to do it!

Great shots, as always. They really capture the moment.

Can you fill us in on the nature of the diving, tanks, boat rules, your travel arrangements, etc as you have time?

Thanks again!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Great report! Sorry about the camera mishap, but your pictures are fantastic!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:Jesse - thank you so much for this trip report. This has been on my list for years and I'm so happy you got to do it!

Great shots, as always. They really capture the moment.

Can you fill us in on the nature of the diving, tanks, boat rules, your travel arrangements, etc as you have time?

Thanks again!
Certainly. Flew into Houston and left from Freeport Texas. George flew in the Friday of departure, I flew in a day early to visit friends. Drive to Freeport via rental car was about 90 minutes. Boarded around 7:30pm and left at 9ish. Also, on my early arrival I rented LP108s from Houston dive shop called Gigglin' Marlin. The boat has Alum 80s and can only fill to 3000, this turned out to be a great move. The tanks were an extra $30 for the weekend. The seas were extremely calm 6"-12" and the water "Bonaire" Warm. I dove my 5-4-3 the first dive and ended up in a rash guard and shorts the remaining dives, water temp was 86 degrees. Boat rules are on the web site, but they are very strict, and rightfully so, we were in BFE so any accident is critical. The main rules was 130' (or MOD) on dive 1 and you could not exceed 100' the rest of the day. In fact, they asked for BT and Depth as you exited the water. One thing I really appreciated is the DM asked "How are you feeling?" after every dive and a couple times on the side. It was a strict but excellent crew. We stayed in Clute upon our return on Sunday, it was nice to have the boat ride home to collect and pack your belongings. We then flew out on Monday around 5:00pm. The food on board was great as well, they always had something out to munch on.

Anything I missed for you Nic?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dive operator was MV Fling.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Bric Martin wrote:Great report! Sorry about the camera mishap, but your pictures are fantastic!
Thanks Bric. Yeah they banged it pretty good. I said "Lower it and I will look at it." the DM said "No! Come up here and look." I am glad I did, the port was jarred loose. All in all, no damage what so ever, so I really appreciate them strongly encouraging me to exit and inspect :-)
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Gorgeous shots!! I am envious!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penopolypants wrote:Gorgeous shots!! I am envious!
Thank you PPants :) I will share my amateur video tomorrow and hopefully Gdog will be able to post some pics and commentary too.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Im always late to the party.....
So here are the best of what I shot on this trip. I was not real happy with my wide angle shots, clearly need several more trips to Flower Garden Banks until I improve! Still, it was a fantastic trip.
Up from the Deep.jpg
Oil Rig Sponges.jpg
Fish Life on the Reef.jpg
Down into the Deep.jpg
I also felt more comfortable when I switched to Macro. Here are some of the results;
Stetson Banks Lionfish.jpg
Orange White Christmas Tree Worms.jpg
Stetson Banks Goby.jpg
Multicolor Christmas Tree Worms.jpg
Scorpionfish Smile.jpg
Colorful Christmas Tree Worms.jpg
Had a blast on this trip, especially the Oil Rig. Jesse, thanks for being my dive buddy! Oh and also thanks for sharing your Deet bug spray; those mosquitos rode up on horses Texas style before they tried to suck you dry.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

Awesome dive report! My girlfriendbuddy is from Texas and she is shocked that this place even existed! Pretty sure we are booking soon :D
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Great report & pics, guys!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Cool stuff!
I really like those baby lionfish photos, besides the invasiveness! Beautiful curves and colors in each of your pictures!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Really beautiful pictures guys! I'm so glad you had a fun trip! I love how you captured all the color and life! Jesse really like your pics of Gdog! He had some great modeling skills! Also glad your camera is ok.
Gdog I really like the tube worms? Shot and the cute fish in between. Such cool eyes!!
Welcome back!!! We missed you guys!! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Wow, great shots and reports! Super impressed...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome shots and great report Jesse. Stunning work! Really love the last shot as well as the sponges on the oil rig. I need to work on my modeling Skills! Another thing I think you forgot to mention was the food. We did 5 dives the first day, and ate before and after every dive. Something different was prepared each time we came out of the water, and it was all good and plentiful. The crew of the Fling did a great job, excluding the bumping of your camera port!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Great shots, guys! Definitely added that spot to my list.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Also I really love that squat lobster looking guy!!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great trip report Jesse. Your last two shots are my favorite. On banging your dome port, how did this happen, they were raising and lowering your cameras from up above via a rope or something?

Gdog, how did you do on the seasickness, did you guys manage to attract many fish?
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Tangfish wrote: Gdog, how did you do on the seasickness, did you guys manage to attract many fish?
Meclazine worked well for me although we has seas of 1' or less. We still had side to side rocking, and swells but nothing bad. I had zero problems. So we were a little weak in the chumming category. Thought about stabbing Jesse in the leg to see if the sharks would come in closer but Jesse wouldn't let me get close enough....
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Gdog wrote: Thought about stabbing Jesse in the leg to see if the sharks would come in closer but Jesse wouldn't let me get close enough....
Hah!

And great shots from you too Gdog!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Gdog wrote:... Thought about stabbing Jesse in the leg to see if the sharks would come in closer but Jesse wouldn't let me get close enough....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Here is my mediocre video :-)

Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tangfish wrote:Great trip report Jesse. Your last two shots are my favorite. On banging your dome port, how did this happen, they were raising and lowering your cameras from up above via a rope or something?

Gdog, how did you do on the seasickness, did you guys manage to attract many fish?
Yes, they were lowering with a rope. They felt really bad about it and mentioned it right away. Otherwise, they handled the cameras very well.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey the video was a blast to watch!!