Salt Water State Park and TTN 12/31

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Salt Water State Park and TTN 12/31

Post by YellowEye »

Happy New Year everybody!
SJ and I braved the cold and dove Salt Water and TTN yesterday.

Thanks to CaptnJack for giving us tips about the SWSP splash timing! He called for an 8:30 splash, which led to a very cold start to the day. Our moist gloves froze by the time we put them on! It was my first time being there since they put in the reef, and ScubaJess's first time there ever, so it made for a fun adventure. Conditions were such that the surface swim out was very pleasant. There was no current to speak of during the entire dive!

It's a nice big reef filled with big fish (lings, coppers) and plumose. We found one big GPO, and saw evidence of others. There wasn't much to speak of for macro life... we mostly saw small sculpins, some hydroids, one gunnel, various camouflaged crabs and only a few hermit crabs. It seems there aren't so many cracks on that reef for small things like warbonnets. But it was a fun time nonetheless. Further back slope, we ran into the old barge where we did see a couple dorids, seastars, a dead sand dollar, lots of snails, various fish eggs. There weren't much for hermit crabs anywhere on this dive which I thought was weird.

Between dives we stopped at Cutters Point Coffee. You should try it if you get a chance!

Dive 2 was at TTN. We looked for and found my light handle. We geeked out looking for pink mouth hydroids, Jess found a stubby, there were penpoint gunnels, etc. A nice dive!

Here were my snaps. Only the dorid shot was from the first dive!
stubby1.jpg
stubby2.jpg
dorid2.jpg
worm2.jpg
Happy New Year!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Salt Water State Park and TTN 12/31

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Everyone!
Happy New Year! :partydance:

Wow YellowEye Those shots turned out great! I love the colors! Your worm shot is so cool! That Stubby was a lot of fun to watch! :popcorn: :eric:

I'm so glad you were able to find your light handle! :) those are some amazing rescue skills! Thanks for diving with me! The coffee was excellent too!

Here are some of my Pictures!!! I got my fist ever shot of fish eggs with babies inside!! :)
Attachments
A funny gunnel family at TTN
A funny gunnel family at TTN
Colorful hermit crab at SWSP
Colorful hermit crab at SWSP
Really cool Fish eggs at Salt Water State Park.
Really cool Fish eggs at Salt Water State Park.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Jess,
Nice job capturing the fish eggs with the ability to see the little babies inside - nicely done!
Glad to hear that you both were able to get out and get some diving done this weekend!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics!

Sounds like with the big critters you should have had a wider lens!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman